Stupid Question: Double Neck Rickenbacker

JohnRogers

Geddy would play rhythm guitar during the guitar solos in A Passage to Bangkok and Xanadu

Now that is what one would think, just those two songs or those are examples?

I believe he had two different ones. I know one was a 12 string guitar/bass. I'm thinking the other one was a 6 string guitar/bass. And yes, he used it in both of those songs mentioned above.
  • Like 2

Geddy would play rhythm guitar during the guitar solos in A Passage to Bangkok and Xanadu

Now that is what one would think, just those two songs or those are examples?

As far as I know those are the only songs
  • Like 1

There are no stupid questions. There are only stupid people.

Maybe but I think the guy in your avatar is stupid. ;)

Whoops I accidently got all SOCN here...apologies.

• Like 4

At the very end of Xanadu, when Alex is playing those "from heaven" passages on his 12 string, Geddy actually uses a guitar pick ( ! ) and plays the descending line on his "guitar" neck .... it is a magical ending to a classic song
  • Like 1

It's ok. I think he's stupid, too.

At the very end of Xanadu, when Alex is playing those "from heaven" passages on his 12 string, Geddy actually uses a guitar pick ( ! ) and plays the descending line on his "guitar" neck .... it is a magical ending to a classic song

I've been seing these guys live since Moving Pictures and don't recall seeing it. Some where this got asked, if they play A Passage to Bangkok and Xanadu will the double neck rick come out?

Im sorry. SOCN?

Sense O'Clock News

I've been seing these guys live since Moving Pictures and don't recall seeing it. Some where this got asked, if they play A Passage to Bangkok and Xanadu will the double neck rick come out?

The double neck Ricky has been retired... as in permanently.

If you saw the MP tour you saw the double Ricky. Ged used it on Xanadu that tour for sure (See the ESL video for proofz).

ETA: 11:48 of this video you can see Ged's left hand on the 12 string neck and you can see him strum a chord right before hitting a key on the keyboard.

https://youtu.be/6ker-C8FE2c

ETA2: 8MM boot from Chicago on the MP tour.. go to 9:40ish

Edited by Snaked

The double neck Ricky has been retired... as in permanently.

If you saw the MP tour you saw the double Ricky. Ged used it on Xanadu that tour for sure (See the ESL video for proofz).

ETA: 11:48 of this video you can see Ged's left hand on the 12 string neck and you can see him strum a chord right before hitting a key on the keyboard.

https://youtu.be/6ker-C8FE2c

I never played a double Ricky before but I imagine it's as heavy as hanging a couple cinderblocks from your neck.

They both used them last on the Moving Pictures tour. I'm glad I got to see it. It was so iconic at the time.

They both used them last on the Moving Pictures tour. I'm glad I got to see it. It was so iconic at the time.

Alex used a doubleneck on the CP tour.

ETA:

And on R30

https://youtu.be/i3SSpmlPSI4

Edited by Snaked

Alex used a doubleneck on the CP tour.

ETA:

And on R30

https://youtu.be/i3SSpmlPSI4

Hence her use of the word "both".

• Like 1

If they bring back 'Xanadu' for R40, do we get the double neck back in service?

If they bring back 'Xanadu' for R40, do we get the double neck back in service?

Al's, yes. But I imagine we'll get the abbreviated version from the Counterparts and R30 tours, so I don't think we'll see Geddy's doubleneck.