ART OF RUSH BOOK!

Jaminbenb

Just got this email:

Pre-Order for the Art of Rush book begins Friday March 27 at 10am ET

100 Deluxe Roadcase Editions, 250 Special Editions and Classic Edition available

http://img.rush.com/email/2015-03-25-ArtOfRush/Rush.COVER.Book.Front.Cat.png

Art of Rush: Hugh Syme, Serving A Life Sentence

The Art of Rush is a 272 page coffee table book that delves into the 40 year relationship with Rush and their longtime artist and illustrator Hugh Syme. The stunning book begins with a foreword penned by Neil Peart, and contains original illustrations, paintings, photography, and the incredible stories behind each album that he has designed with the band since 1975.

The book's narration was written by music journalist Stephen Humphries and includes in-depth interviews with each Rush band member, Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart and artist Hugh Syme. The Art of Rush also contains entertaining anecdotes and commentary from a wide array of notable musicians, actors, athletes, writers, radio personalities and Rush insiders about their favourite Rush album covers, which clearly reveals how vital and impactful the visual representation of their music has been through the years.

One of the hallmark's of Rush releases is the considerable care and consideration that goes into each one – including the conceptual artwork. Readers of the Art of Rush may be surprised to discover just how much effort went into each concept and the execution for every album cover. In the days before Photoshop, each element of the artwork had to be handcrafted and pieced together. Take the gatefold for Hold Your Fire, for example, Hugh first constructed a miniature set of a city street and then super-imposed a picture of a fireball juggler on it. It's akin to what the Hollywood special effects studio used to do. Nowadays, of course, Hugh utilizes digital technology to create Rush's art. But as Neil Peart adds, "the tools got easier, but the thinking doesn't."

Some of the regaled stories include furtively crossing the border for a guerilla-style shoot for A Farewell to Kings, trying to herd a warren of rabbits for the cover the Presto, descending into the depths of an autopsy lab to find a brain for Hemispheres, building a pool inside Hugh's studio for Test for Echo, and a stunt involving fire, whiskey and photographer Deborah Samuel for Moving Pictures. But no history of the band's art would be complete without the story of the creation of arguably the band's most iconic image, The Starman, and cover art for 2112.

"From the first time Hugh and I met, we shared a level of communication that would sustain us through all the years of discussing art by long distance. We had the same values and tastes in images and design, and simply spoke the same language. That's why I off-handedly referred to him one time as ‘serving a life sentence as my art director," said drummer and lyricist Neil Peart, who has worked with Hugh on the art for every project Rush has released.

Rush fans will have first opportunity to pre-order the Art of Rush, including two special edition versions.

Pre-Order ANY of these editions, and you will receive an exclusive R40 Record Flat:

This Hugh Syme designed record flat is printed on 12" x 12" card stock and is printed on both sides. Side One will feature the R40 artwork, custom designed for this exclusive. Side Two will feature a complete discography of the Rush albums. This record flat is exclusive to this pre-order, and will not be available anywhere else, at any time.

The Pre-order for the Art of Rush book will begin on Friday, March 27 at 10 am ET at rushbackstage.com

Roadcase Deluxe Limited Edition 1/100

• Limited to 100 copies, this deluxe limited edition will be numbered and signed by all 3 members of Rush & Hugh Syme.
  • The book will come in a hand-crafted road case designed by Anvil approx. 15" x 15" x 3" in size and will be enclosed in a custom slipcase.
  • A signed and numbered limited edition lithograph of Hugh Syme's detailed drawing of Caress of Steel, the first cover he worked on for Rush, will be inside the case,.
  • The case will have a metal plate affixed to the outside with the limited edition number and the limited edition lithograph of the Caress of Steel lithograph will match.
  • $995

http://img.rush.com/email/2015-03-25-ArtOfRush/anvil-case.jpg

Limited Special Edition 1/250

• Limited to 250 copies, the hardcover book will be numbered and signed by all 3 members of the band and artist Hugh Syme, enclosed in a custom slipcase.
  • $495

http://img.rush.com/email/2015-03-25-ArtOfRush/slipcase-and-book.jpg

Classic Edition

• The 272 page hardcover book
  • $99

• Like 1

Looks incredible. I just don't have the money for all the Rush stuff I'd love to own!

Fixed for my purposes... :| Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 2

$1000?

Should be called "The Art Of Cashing In"

<<whiny voice>> But you don't have to buy it. <</whinyvoice>>

Whatever fanboys...

Yeah, I'm saving up for the Rush coffin.

Mourners can sit on the Rush bar stools and drink to my dead ass out of Rush pint glasses.

Yeah, let's hear no more rubbish about KISS being greedy capitalist sell outs.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 1

$1000?

Should be called "The Art Of Cashing In"

<<whiny voice>> But you don't have to buy it. <</whinyvoice>>

Whatever fanboys...

Yeah, I'm saving up for the Rush coffin.

Mourners can sit on the Rush bar stools and drink to my dead ass out of Rush pint glasses.

Yeah, let's hear no more rubbish about KISS being greedy capitalist sell outs.

Can't argue with that... :)
  • Like 2

aw comon! Not another must-have-item!! It´s enough!

First the vinyls, and then concerts, and now this! What do they think? That I am made of money!? At least they could wait until the vinyl releases was done!

Guys... this might come as a chock for you all.... But... I, YY Zumbi, the biggest Rush fan in the world, is... NOT buying this! :o

I just can´t afford it...

• Like 4

So Rush are looking to take in ~$70k each for this grab? Very surprised they'd sink to this level for such a paltry sum. They've almost bottomed-out integrity-wise, imo.

Its getting a bit out of hand I will give you that. I honestly never thought I would see the day. Naive I will admit... :|
  • Like 2

So Rush are looking to take in ~$70k each for this grab? Very surprised they'd sink to this level for such a paltry sum. They've almost bottomed-out integrity-wise, imo.

Its getting a bit out of hand I will give you that. I honestly never thought I would see the day. Naive I will admit... :|

I would kind of like to think that it's not the guys in the band who are behind this kind of profiteering. I mean, I'd rather think that it's the publishing company that is looking to make some coin on this kind of thing. But I don't know. :huh:

But also- if money were no object for me, would I go for it? Yeah, I would.

Maybe at least the classic edition might become much more affordable in future as it happened for the one that contained all the tour programs until 2004.

I think its price dropped from $200 to 70.

Edited by geezer

If money were no object I would go for alot of things and Rush "stuff" wouldn't be near the top of that list. Keep'in it real... :)
  • Like 3

I'll definitely throw down for the $99 version.

Yes- I will get this one.

Sorry the $495 and $995 are too greddy..err...out of my budget

• Like 1

First the vinyls, and then concerts, and now this! What do they think? That I am made of money!? At least they could wait until the vinyl releases was done!

Guys... this might come as a chock for you all.... But... I, YY Zumbi, the biggest Rush fan in the world, is... NOT buying this! :o

Just post pictures of it when you DO get it! :popcorn:

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

Big Money goes around the world......

......and lands in our retirement accounts! :P

Seriously, I might cough up for the $99 version. The album cover stories sound interesting.

But those other editions should be stamped with an image of Gene Simmons sticking his tongue out.

Did you not read what I just said? I said I WONT get it...

:laughing guy: ....

I'll definitely throw down for the $99 version.

Yes- I will get this one.

Sorry the $495 and $995 are too greddy..err...out of my budget

(I saw what you did there)

I didn't but now I have. Nice catch.... :cheers:
  • Like 1

If money were no object I would go for alot of things and Rush "stuff" wouldn't be near the top of that list. Keep'in it real... :)

Yea, ironically it's real here today- refrigerator died yesterday and the new one at Lowe's cost $998.00! If the fridge were still alive I still wouldn't buy the book, too much summer fun coming up; although the stories sound intriguing- wish I could read those. . .

• Like 1