Cooking

My_Shrimp_Cot

At one time or other, we've all found ourselves with an almost empty refrigerator and bare cupboards. But that doesn't mean you have to rush to the grocery. You just need to be creative. You can get ideas at Cooking By Numbers. Use the list to select the ingredients you have on hand. Then click Find Recipes. You'll get a list showing you what you can (or can almost) make. There are some interesting cooking ideas here. There's also a little bit of cheeky humor.

HAVE FUN!!!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Dec 28 2006, 11:44 AM)
At one time or other, we've all found ourselves with an almost empty refrigerator and bare cupboards.  But that doesn't mean you have to rush to the grocery. You just need to be creative.  You can get ideas at Cooking By Numbers. Use the list to select the ingredients you have on hand. Then click Find Recipes. You'll get a list showing you what you can (or can almost) make.  There are some interesting cooking ideas here. There's also a little bit of cheeky humor.

HAVE FUN!!!

very cool yes.gif thanks LRF trink39.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Dec 28 2006, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Dec 28 2006, 11:44 AM)
At one time or other, we've all found ourselves with an almost empty refrigerator and bare cupboards.  But that doesn't mean you have to rush to the grocery. You just need to be creative.  You can get ideas at Cooking By Numbers. Use the list to select the ingredients you have on hand. Then click Find Recipes. You'll get a list showing you what you can (or can almost) make.  There are some interesting cooking ideas here. There's also a little bit of cheeky humor.

HAVE FUN!!!

very cool yes.gif thanks LRF trink39.gif

trink39.gif

anytime my friend!!!

I just stumbled to this one. tongue.gif

Wow I'm glad I ate first some of these sound great.

I love to cook. Backing not so much.

I'm one of those that just throws things together. So I feel restricted following the exacts with baking.

My family not so happy angry.gif They end up liking something and I wasn't paying close attention to what and how much went in so I may never make it again. confused13.gif

Cooking is for experimenting and when you have limited time enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong I have old family recipes which are the best to cook but those are the thing Grandma's, Aunt's and Mom's had us made since we were young and there drilled into my head.

made a HUGE pot of Split Pea Soup today...

my crock pot is about to runneth over!!!!

want the recipe?

okey dokey...

2 Cups dry split peas, rinsed and sorted

1 Ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks

2 Bay Leaves

1 t salt

Pinch of Cayenne pepper

2t Worcestershire sauce

Pinch of Rosemary

1/4 t Thyme

1 clove garlic, minced

1t sugar

3 Med. baking potatoes, peeled, chopped

3 carrots, peeled, chopped

~ 1 cup onion

1 stalk Celery, leaves included, chopped

1 Quart water, or as needed

Put all of those ingredients ^^ up there, in a LARGE crock pot. Fill crock pot to the top with water. Cook on high for 5/6 hours. Before serving, remove bay leaves and bones. Adjust seasonings.

CHOW DOWN MAN!!!!!!!!!

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/aiw/delicious.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Feb 12 2007, 06:36 PM)
made a HUGE pot of Split Pea Soup today...
my crock pot is about to runneth over!!!!

want the recipe?

okey dokey...

2 Cups dry split peas, rinsed and sorted
1 Ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
2 Bay Leaves
1 t salt
Pinch of Cayenne pepper
2t Worcestershire sauce
Pinch of Rosemary
1/4 t Thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
1t sugar
3 Med. baking potatoes, peeled, chopped
3 carrots, peeled, chopped
~ 1 cup onion
1 stalk Celery, leaves included, chopped
1 Quart water, or as needed

Put all of those ingredients ^^ up there, in a LARGE crock pot. Fill crock pot to the top with water. Cook on high for 5/6 hours. Before serving, remove bay leaves and bones. Adjust seasonings.

CHOW DOWN MAN!!!!!!!!!

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/aiw/delicious.gif

great recipe ! yummy ! i love split pea soup, its one of the things my wife actually cooks. im the cook in my house. i made a 12 quart stock pot of spagetti sause yesterday with sausage and meatballs, just ate some, yummy !

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 12 2007, 06:29 PM)

great recipe ! yummy ! i love split pea soup, its one of the things my wife actually cooks. im the cook in my house. i made a 12 quart stock pot of spagetti sause yesterday with sausage and meatballs, just ate some, yummy !

trade ya!

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Feb 12 2007, 08:03 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Feb 12 2007, 06:29 PM)

trade ya!

deal !

so im havin my 1st southern meal here since i been at rons

his mom is makin beans with ham i think in em??

taters & onions an cornbread & some other thingy.

shes been cookin these friggin beans like since 8am lol

sheesh ud think she was makin a awsume homemade marinara or sumthin laugh.gif

smells good here ,i have to say yes.gif

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ May 16 2007, 05:36 PM)
so im havin my 1st southern meal here since i been at rons
his mom is makin beans with ham i think in em??
taters & onions an cornbread & some other thingy.
shes been cookin these friggin beans like since 8am lol
sheesh ud think she was makin a awsume homemade marinara or sumthin laugh.gif

smells good here ,i have to say yes.gif

drool1.gif Sounds good!

QUOTE (owlswing @ May 17 2007, 03:45 PM)
It must smell fantastic...

Wow, corn bread what I would give to be able to eat that right now.

think that was my 1st time eatin home made fresh outta the oven cornbread

& it was yummmay drool1.gif

now its My turn to cook, Im gonna make my chicken marsala tonight,

Ron cant swallow anythin but hes been chewin things up to get the taste of food, & he LOVES my marsala smile.gif

pluse itll give Neva ( his mom) a night off from cookin smile.gif

edited: i had cornbread for a snack after dinner like 11pm lol

and more for breakfast this mornin laugh.gif

Edited by DonnaWanna

Marsala is a tasty one for Ron to savory all the flavor from chewing or just sucking on it a bit.

Hey I need to ask you for that Marsala recipe. I have been looking for a good one. I've never been able to fine the right wine.

QUOTE (owlswing @ May 17 2007, 04:38 PM)
Marsala is a tasty one for Ron to savory all the flavor from chewing or just sucking on it a bit.

Hey I need to ask you for that Marsala recipe. I have been looking for a good one. I've never been able to fine the right wine.

ill send the recipe on ova 2u when i have more time wink.gif

I think it might already be here sumwhere in this

thread or sumother cookin thread unsure.gif

but for now...

the zucchini are commin in like CRAZY.

givin them away & cookin with them 1 way or nother everynight!

today i made zucchini corn bread with chopped red,green peppers,

onions & omFg it came out soooo goood!

i dont really have a recipe for it cuz i kinda just threw it together

as i was mixin it laugh.gif

and im kinda sorry now cuz Im hopin i can get it

right the next time i make it ph34r.gif

tomorrow will be Stuffed Zucchini

along with zucchini flower salad on the side drool1.gif

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Jul 17 2007, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (owlswing @ May 17 2007, 04:38 PM)

ill send the recipe on ova 2u when i have more time wink.gif

I think it might already be here sumwhere in this

thread or sumother cookin thread unsure.gif

but for now...

the zucchini are commin in like CRAZY.

givin them away & cookin with them 1 way or nother everynight!

today i made zucchini corn bread with chopped red,green peppers,

onions & omFg it came out soooo goood!

i dont really have a recipe for it cuz i kinda just threw it together

as i was mixin it laugh.gif

and im kinda sorry now cuz Im hopin i can get it

right the next time i make it ph34r.gif

tomorrow will be Stuffed Zucchini

along with zucchini flower salad on the side drool1.gif

OMG I love zucchini! And I haven't had baked stuffed zucchini in AGES.... drool1.gif

OK, I've been thinking about posting this for a while now and today seemed as good a time as any.

I don't cook a lot of different things, but what I do cook, I cook well. My wife says my specialty is omelettes and everyone that I've made one for agress. So now I will share with all of you my favorite "secret" steak omelette recipe, do yourself and your family a favor and try it the next time you have some leftover steak.

OK, first use two skillets, a medium one to sautee the fillings and a large to make the omelette itself.

Take the steak and slice it thinly then take the slices and cut them into pieces about 3/4" X 3/4". Take a quarter of an onion (Vidalias are the best, if you can't find them, use Peruvian sweet onions, they're pretty close) and chop it any way you like, I prefer to sliver it. Put the onions in the med. skillet on medium heat with a little butter or margarine and stir-fry them until they are well caramelized. Wait a while to add the steak, because you don't really want to cook it all over again, you just want to get it warm. After adding the steak, add five or six dashes of Worchestershire sauce.

Scramble two eggs in a bowl, add a dash of black pepper and a dash of salt and pour them into your large skillet, which should already be preheated on medium with some butter or margarine coating the bottom. Do not add cream or milk! It's unnecessary and it screws up the taste of the eggs. Quickly, before the eggs have a chance to solidify, sprinkle in a couple of small handfuls of grated Colby Jack cheese (trust me on this one, it kicks Cheddar's butt)! This way, the grated cheese will melt into the eggs as they cook and the flavors will 'marry' together. Add in your steak and onions, wait for the eggs to cook through (about 2 mins.), fold and get ready for the best omelette you've ever had.

This recipe also works well with Kielbasa, smoked sausage, or ham. Take the sausage and slice it thinly (dice the ham) and cook it with the onions as above. Leave out the Worchestershire because it doesn't go too well with sausage or ham.

If you try this one, let me know.

It's that time of the year. biggrin.gif

Post some of your favorite treats.

SEVEN LAYER COOKIES

1 stick butter

1 1/2 cups graham crackers

1 can Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 1/2 cups coconut

1 cup chopped walnuts

1 cup butterscotch chips or peanut butter chips

Melt butter in a cake pan. Sprinkle crumbs over butter and pour Eagle brand condensed milk over the crumbs. Top with remaining ingredients in the order given and press down firmly.

Bake 25 minutes or until lightly brown at 350 degrees.

THUMBPRINT COOKIES

1/4 c. butter, softened

1/4 c. brown sugar

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 c. shortening

1 egg

1 c. flour

3/4 c. finely chopped nuts

Jelly or Tinted Frosting

Mix butter, shortening, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla. Work in flour and salt until dough holds together. Shape dough by teaspoon into 1 inch balls. Beat egg white slightly. Dip balls in the egg white and then roll in nuts. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Press thumb deeply into center of each ball. Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees until brown. Cool. Fill thumbprint with jelly or frosting.

Makes 3 dozen cookies.

A quick recipe for the kids to do. biggrin.gif

NO BAKE FUDGE CANDY COOKIES

2 c. sugar

1/2 c. butter

1/2 c. milk

1/2 c. cocoa

1 c. nuts, chopped

1 tsp. vanilla

3 c. quick oats

Bring sugar, butter, milk and cocoa to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat, add vanilla. Mix in another bowl the oats and nuts. Pour hot mixture over oat mixture and mix well. Drop onto wax paper. Let set until firm.

SNICKERDOODLES

2 eggs

2/3 cup oil

2 tsp. vanilla

3/4 cup sugar

2 cups flour, sifted

2 t. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp cinnamon or 2 tsp grated lemon rind

1/2 cup sugar

Heat oven to 400.

Beat eggs with fork, stir in oil, vanilla and lemon rind (if using). Blend in 3/4 cup sugar until mixture thickens.

Blend flour, baking powder, and salt; add to mixture.

Roll into 1 inch balls. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. Roll balls in sugar mixture.

Place on baking sheet, criss cross with fork. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.

Bake 8-10 minutes. Remove immediately from baking sheet.

Variations: You may omit cinnamon and use 2 tsp lemon rind in batter, roll in sugar and bake.

GINGERBREAD COOKIES

1/2 c. sugar

1/2 c. shortening

1/2 c. dark molasses

1/4 c. water

3/4 tsp. salt

3/4 tsp. ground ginger

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. ground allspice

2 1/2 c. all purpose flour

Beat sugar, shortening, molasses and water in a large bowl on low speed until blended. Beat on medium speed 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, 1 to 2 hours.

Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle counter top with flour; turn dough onto surface. Roll dough with a rolling pin until 1/4 inch thick. Cut with gingerbread man cutter.

Lift cookies carefully with a large spatula onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Decorate cookies with raisins (optional). Bake until set 8 to 10 minutes. Let cookies cool 3 minutes, then carefully remove from cookie sheet with a spatula.

Cool and decorate with frosting if you like. Makes about 1 dozen cookies.

BANANA BREAD

2 1/2 cups white or white whole wheat flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup vegetable shortening

2 cups sugar

2 cups over-ripe mashed bananas

4 eggs, beaten

1 cup chopped nuts

1 tablespoon banana liqueur or dark rum

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine flour, baking soda and salt; stir to mix well.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together shortening, sugar, mashed bananas, and eggs. When well beaten, gradually add the flour mixture while mixture is at lowest speed. Mix only until combined.

Stir in the banana liqueur or rum and the chopped walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts or macadamia nuts.

Butter and flour a loaf pan. Bake for 65-70 minutes or until cake tests done (toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).

Remove from oven and allow to sit for several minutes. Run a bread knife around edges of loaf pan to free it from sides and remove from pan. Rub the top of the still-warm loaf with a pat of butter to soften and glaze the top, if desired.

Serve with whipped cream cheese spread on each slice.