Cooking

My_Shrimp_Cot

all right.... here's the first one...

the butternut squash one:

i have to find the other two....

this one i had on my computer...

Cook's Note: The no-boil lasagna noodles can be substituted with fresh spinach lasagna sheets. Look for fresh lasagna sheets in the refrigerated section of specialty markets.

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 (1 1/2 to 2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup water

3 amaretti cookies, crumbled

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

3 1/2 cups whole milk

Pinch nutmeg

3/4 cup (lightly packed) fresh basil leaves

12 no-boil lasagna noodles

2 1/2 cups shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese

1/3 cup grated Parmesan

Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the squash and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the water into the skillet and then cover and simmer over medium heat until the squash is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly and then transfer the squash to a food processor. Add the amaretti cookies and blend until smooth. Season the squash puree, to taste, with more salt and pepper.

Melt the butter in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the nutmeg. Cool slightly. Transfer half of the sauce to a blender*. Add the basil and blend until smooth. Return the basil sauce to the sauce in the pan and stir to blend. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.

Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.

Lightly butter a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Spread 3/4 cup of the sauce over the prepared baking dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/3 of the squash puree over the noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Drizzle 1/2 cup of sauce over the noodles. Repeat layering 3 more times.

Tightly cover the baking dish with foil and bake the lasagna for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over the lasagna. Continue baking uncovered until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, 15 minutes longer. Let the lasagna stand for 15 minutes before serving.

*When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Italian Sausage

Hamburger

fresh diced tomatoes

can of diced tomatoes, juice included

fresh diced onions

tomato sauce

tomato paste, about 1/2 a small can

Italian seasoning or Spicy Spaghetti Seasoning

Water

Mozzarella Cheese

Chedder cheese

Fry Italian Sausage and Hamburger with onion, drain, return to pan and add remainder of ingredients. Season and taste along with tomato sauce and/or paste to your liking. Make sauce as thin or thick as you like. Best to cook sauce for hours, simmer of course. Mix cheeses together. Layer sauce, noodles and cheese in lasgana pan. Cook for 1 hour at 350 in the oven.

here's another great lasagna ....

3 cups, chopped Seasoned Chicken Breast Strips

1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, drained

1 8-oz. can tomato sauce

1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 16-oz. container fat free ricotta cheese

1 4-oz. can green chilies, chopped, undrained

3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, divided

1/2 lb (8-oz.) lasagna noodles, cooked, drained

1/2 cup (2-oz.) shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese

directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl combine tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings. In another small bowl combine ricotta cheese, chilies and 2 tablespoons cilantro. In a 13x9-inch baking dish spread 1/2 the tomato sauce on bottom of dish. Top with 1/2 of the noodles, chicken and all of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with remaining noodles, tomato sauce and chicken. Sprinkle with cheese combined with remaining cilantro. Bake 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Cook's Tip: For a creamier texture, substitute low-fat (1%) cottage cheese for fat-free ricotta cheese.

wow, these lasagne recipes sound incredible, i can't wait to have some free time to cook them!!

maybe after the holiday is over and i don't have to worry about getting the shopping finished

thanks everyone!!

hey, if you have more, keep em comin!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (failte @ Dec 3 2006, 08:35 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Dec 3 2006, 01:34 AM)
QUOTE (failte @ Dec 2 2006, 08:38 PM)
enjoy!!  i learned how to make it from my mom, who doesn't measure anything either.  you gotta have it with mashed potatoes (you don't even need gravy if you can make good mashed potatoes)  but if you like to do the gravy thing, get some stewed tomatoes (del monte makes them), add some sugar when you cook them up and use that for gravy.  oh, and lima beans boiled into soft oblivion with seasoned salt and lots of butter  drool1.gif  drool1.gif

rofl3.gif your making me hungry laugh.gif tongue.gif trink39.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

that's the idea!!!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I just had your meatloaf it was fantastic!!! thanks again smile.gif I did throw in some Montery Jack cheese in the middle. Have you ever done that? Again thanks trink39.gif

no, troutman we haven't tried that, maybe next time. it sounds awesome...ummm pepper jack cheese...

thanks for the idea!! glad you liked my meatloaf!!

QUOTE (failte @ Dec 10 2006, 09:20 PM)
no, troutman we haven't tried that, maybe next time. it sounds awesome...ummm pepper jack cheese...

thanks for the idea!! glad you liked my meatloaf!!

yes.. pepper jack what was I thinking tongue.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Dec 2 2006, 03:05 PM)
QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Dec 2 2006, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Dec 2 2006, 05:31 PM)
QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Dec 2 2006, 12:22 PM)
Well this past thanxgivin I told mom id do the pumpkin pie thang
and last min i decided im bored of reg borin pumkin pie, So i made this
instead lol

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4895/p1011010rd9.jpg

Its Spice cake cut up in chunks layered with Pumkin filling and Real whipped cream, with a few chopped walnuts ontop

nobody seemed to miss the pie  wink.gif

Wow!! that looks yummy smile.gif got a recipe for us new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif 653.gif trink39.gif

dont need lotsa brains to figure it out lol

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/4779/cakemixbi5.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2605/pumpkined7.jpg

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4123/coolwhipcy9.jpg

follow directions on the cake mix box...cut in chunks when its baked

and layer it with the other stuff trink39.gif

I made real whipped cream tho...not that cool whip

either way its yummay yes.gif

Ok, thanx Donna smile.gif trink39.gif

Ok Donna your up next tongue.gif gonna try it this weekend smile.gif And thanks to all of you for posting your suggestions here I really appreciate them trink39.gif

Edited by troutman

QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Dec 2 2006, 04:22 PM)
Well this past thanxgivin I told mom id do the pumpkin pie thang
and last min i decided im bored of reg borin pumkin pie, So i made this
instead lol

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/4895/p1011010rd9.jpg

Its Spice cake cut up in chunks layered with Pumkin filling and Real whipped cream, with a few chopped walnuts ontop

nobody seemed to miss the pie wink.gif

this reminds me of the show friends when Racheal tried to cook rofl3.gif

I love to cook and always strive for improvement. I am most satisfied when I prepare a fine meal for myself and disappointed as hell when something doesn't turn out very well.

Needless to say, I will consider anyone who can prepare a fine meal a friend.

A few days ago, my mom needed me to make dinner, so I made two pans of chicken breasts in the oven. I put a can of Campbell's chicken gravy over one of the pans, but I ran out before I came to the other one. So I rooted around and found a can of tomato soup to put over them. (I also seasoned the chicken with a dash of pepper and garlic powder.) I cooked the pans at 375 for about 1.5-2 hours (something like that), and they turned out really good. The tomato soup soaked into the chicken and gave it a really nice reddish tint. It was nice and juicy, and it looked almost professional!

Yay for chicken! chickendance.gif

so, yesterday was my daughter's birthday..

and a special request was that i make these "Oreo Balls"...

i know i know i know...

wacko.gif

i'm not sayin anything more about it, i'm just posting the recipe.....

pretty easy....

1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened

1 pkg (1 lb 2 oz pkg) crushed Oreos (I like the double stuff an use a food processor to crush)

2 cups chocolate baking chips

1 Tbls shortening

On high speed of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add cookies and beat until well combined. Refrigerate 2 hours or until chilled enough to roll into balls.

Roll dough into 1" balls (or smaller if desired). Over a double boiler, melt chips and shortening until smooth. Dip balls into mixture and thoroughly coat. (I drop the balls in, then use a fork to roll it around. Then I scoop it up with on fork and kind of roll back and forth between a second fork to help drip off the extra chocolate.) Place coated Oreo balls on wax paper to harden. (Place in fridge to help expedite hardening.) Store in refrigerator.

Makes approx 52 balls.

**I then take white chocolate chips, maybe half a cup at most, melt it in the microwave stirring every 30-45 seconds until smooth. (If too thick, I add a little shortening or cooking oil to thin out) I dip a fork into the white chocolate and shake it back and forth over the sheet of Oreo balls to decorate.

You can use Wilton colored chocolate instead of chocolate baking chips.

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Dec 21 2006, 05:44 AM)
i know i know i know...
wacko.gif

pretty easy....

1 pkg (1 lb 2 oz pkg) crushed Oreos (I like the double stuff an use a food processor to crush)
1 Tbls shortening

On high speed of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add cookies and beat until well combined. Refrigerate 2 hours or until chilled enough to roll into balls.

Roll dough into 1" balls (or smaller if desired). Over a double boiler, melt chips and shortening until smooth. Dip balls into mixture and thoroughly coat. (I drop the balls in, then use a fork to roll it around. Then I scoop it up with on fork and kind of roll back and forth between a second fork to help drip off the extra chocolate.) Place coated Oreo balls on wax paper to harden. (Place in fridge to help expedite hardening.) Store in refrigerator.

Makes approx 52 balls.

**I then take white chocolate chips, maybe half a cup at most, melt it in the microwave stirring every 30-45 seconds until smooth. (If too thick, I add a little shortening or cooking oil to thin out) I dip a fork into the white chocolate and shake it back and forth over the sheet of Oreo balls to decorate.

ladi, sounds delicious!

ladi, while I was reading how to make/bake I kept thinking of that skit, on SNL....Alec Baldwin's in it. He makes sweaty balls rofl3.gif laugh.gif Do you know what I'm talking about?

QUOTE (Daylin @ Dec 21 2006, 12:03 PM)
i know i know i know...
wacko.gif

pretty easy....

1 Tbls shortening

Makes approx 52 balls.

ladi, sounds delicious!

ladi, while I was reading how to make/bake I kept thinking of that skit, on SNL....Alec Baldwin's in it. He makes sweaty balls rofl3.gif laugh.gif Do you know what I'm talking about?

rofl3.gif

you mean THIS ?

wink.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Dec 21 2006, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (Daylin @ Dec 21 2006, 12:03 PM)
i know i know i know...
wacko.gif

pretty easy....

1 Tbls shortening

Makes approx 52 balls.

ladi, sounds delicious!

rofl3.gif

you mean THIS ?

wink.gif

applaudit.gif YES!

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Thanks, for putting me in a much better mood today laugh.gif

btw, I've been thinking about making something different....you know, the same Christmas cookies. I'm going to try this tomorrow yes.gif And, I know I'll be having lots of laughs wink.gif laugh.gif

cosmo.gif rose.gif

i am making these today

Outrageous Brownies

1 pound unsalted butter

1 pound plus 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips, divided

6 ounces unsweetened chocolate

6 extra-large eggs

3 tablespoons instant coffee powder

2 tablespoons real vanilla extract

2 1/4 cups sugar

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided (1 cup for batter and 1/4 cup in the chips and nuts)

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon kosher salt

3 cups diced walnut pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 by 18 by 1 1/2-inch sheet pan.

Melt together the butter, 1 pound chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler. Cool slightly. Stir together the eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.

Stir together 1 cup of the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts and 12 ounces of chocolate chips with 1/4 cup flour to coat. Then add to the chocolate batter. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean. Halfway through the baking, rap the pan against the oven shelf to allow air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Do not over-bake! Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well and cut into squares.

a couple of these and i should put on about 3 pounds..... unsure.gif

Hi all. I'd like to include some soup recipies. The potato soup can also be eaten ice cold.

Potato Leek Soup

This makes a large batch:

8 Tablespoons butter

8 leeks, white part only, chopped fine

2 yellow onions, chopped

Use a large stock pot to cook the above very slowly

until onions are clear and tender. Don't brown the butter.

Add:

8 cups homemade chicken broth or store-bought low-salt

chicken broth

a handful finely chopped parsley

4 or 5 large russet potatoes

4 stalks celery, chopped

4 carrots, chopped

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4-1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce

Simmer until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally,

about 40 minutes.

I leave a lid partially on the pot so the soup doesn't boil

down too much.

Add salt and pepper to taste after the soup is done cooking.

Remove from heat and let cool for a few hours.

Put soup into blender in small batches and blend until smooth.

I like to get the soup perfectly smooth and remove all the

celery strings so I pour it through a coarse wire mesh strainer

after I blend it. I work the soup through the strainer with

the back of a soup ladle.

To serve soup, milk or cream can be added. If you're serving the

entire batch try one cup to start and go from there. Heat it slowly

and don't boil it! This soup is fine without milk too.

Sprinkle finely chopped parsley or chives onto the soup after it's

been ladled into the soup bowls.

The carrots can be omitted but I like the sweet flavor,

color and nutrition they add.

You can substitute another yellow onion if you don't have leeks.

Leeks are so expensive!

This soup is great the same day it's made but is even better the

next day. Mmmmmm!

Butternut Squash Soup

1 large butternut squash, about 3 pounds

2 Tablespoons olive oil or butter

1 yellow onion, sliced

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 teaspoon dried thyme

4 cups chicken stock

salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.

Place the halves cut side down on a lightly oiled baking

sheet and roast until soft, about 30 to 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a stockpot over medium

heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook slowly until

the onion is soft and slightly caramelized. Reduce heat,

add the garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minute.

When the squash is tender, remove from oven and scoop

the flesh into the onion mixture. Add the chicken stock,

season with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat

for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool . Blend or

process to a smooth consistency.

When serving you can add a small amount of Parmesan

cheese or cream on top. Serve hot.

I like to double the above recipe. It disappears too quickly

otherwise! Like a lot of soups, it's also better served the

day after it's made.

Enjoy everyone and Happy Holidays!

smile.gif AlexFinal.gif