Why doesn't Geddy write more lyrics?

YYZumbi

I have been listening a lot to Geddy´s solo album My Favorite Headache lately.

And I must say that I really enjoy the lyrics, Geddy is a very good lyrics writer, he have matured a lot since the debut album. It seems like Geddy have really much to say.

And according to this documentary it seems like Geddy himself really liked writing lyrics:

So why can´t Geddy write more lyrics together with Neil in Rush? It would be really awesome.

Because Neil is much better at them. He set a standard for Rush lyrically that Geddy would never be able to match. Plus, Geddy writes the music, so he has his hands full with that. Also, it gives Neil something to do while Geddy and Alex are writing the songs ;)
  • Like 2

Because Neil is much better at them. He set a standard for Rush lyrically that Geddy would never be able to match. Plus, Geddy writes the music, so he has his hands full with that. Also, it gives Neil something to do while Geddy and Alex are writing the songs ;)

You probably right...

Honestly, yeah, I think that is why- with Rush, that is the way the three of them have always done it. (With the exception of a couple on the B side of 2112, and a couple of other odds and ends). Ged and Al take care of the music, and Neil provides the lyrics. That has been their standard for quite a long time.

From the interviews I've seen, it seems that Geddy now has a huge influence over the lyrics whereas in the earlier days his editing was much more light handed. With all that goes on in the writing and recording process, this is probably enough for him.

From the interviews I've seen, it seems that Geddy now has a huge influence over the lyrics whereas in the earlier days his editing was much more light handed. With all that goes on in the writing and recording process, this is probably enough for him.

Yeah, it seems like a more collaborative effort than anything else... I'm sure they split the entire publishing three ways, so it doesn't matter who gets the actual credit...Lee, Lifeson, & Peart.

Yeah, it seems like a more collaborative effort than anything else... I'm sure they split the entire publishing three ways, so it doesn't matter who gets the actual credit...Lee, Lifeson, & Peart.

I remember reading somewhere that they started splitting everything (money-wise) equally at around PeW or MP.

Mfh's a truly great album in my view. Bearing in mind rush a group effort where all three and their families have to be syncronised for anything new, i'm quite surprised ged hasn't knocked out another solo effort in the years between. He's obviously the music writing dynamo of the three.

Mfh's a truly great album in my view. Bearing in mind rush a group effort where all three and their families have to be syncronised for anything new, i'm quite surprised ged hasn't knocked out another solo effort in the years between. He's obviously the music writing dynamo of the three.

I enjoy MFH, but I see on it a lot of the tendencies that are my least favorite in Rush: layered/filtered vocals, too many sounds filling too many spaces, and a lack of energy/spontaneity. For the last one I am choosing the wrong words, but it just seems to lack some kind of hear or passion or power or something. It's too clinical.

I like the album, and I love a few of the songs, but it makes me wish sometimes that Geddy's influence in the band would be notched down a tad.

I know it has it's fans but MFH is just VT the prequel to me. chorus of Geddy's. VERY similar melodies. so i blame this record for VT, lol

Mick

Now, I should also say this- I'd be very interested to know what a new Geddy Lee album would sound like. I don't mean at all that I wouldn't be interested, if or when he makes another solo album. I would definitely buy it.

But that first one...no, it just doesn't get much attention from me. :huh:

• Like 1

It's a good Plan.

With so many bands splitting up after a few albums I'm just glad they have a plan that works. I'm sure if Geddy felt he had more to "say" he could probably write more lyrics.

Grace to Grace is a great song, with incredible lyrics. The overall feel I get from the álbum is one of aprehension and uncertainty...probably mirroring Geddy's insecurity towards the future of Rush. Does anyone else agree?

The only time I'm exposed to Geddy solo music is on the Rush channel I have on I Heart Radio. Should I seek his solo work out?

The only time I'm exposed to Geddy solo music is on the Rush channel I have on I Heart Radio. Should I seek his solo work out?

He only has the one album......My Favorite Headache. if you like VT.......it's directly up your alley.

Mick

I enjoy MFH, but I see on it a lot of the tendencies that are my least favorite in Rush: layered/filtered vocals, too many sounds filling too many spaces, and a lack of energy/spontaneity. For the last one I am choosing the wrong words, but it just seems to lack some kind of hear or passion or power or something. It's too clinical.

I like the album, and I love a few of the songs, but it makes me wish sometimes that Geddy's influence in the band would be notched down a tad.

To me its obvious from the two solo albums what each member brings to Rush. The sum is greater etc. Victor is energetic, aggressive and quirky. MFH is refined compositionally and more reflective. They are better together rhan apart but I can see them still making records on their own after Rush is over.

• Like 2

I said this in another thread recently- I have My Favorite Headache, and I listened to it, I think...once.

I had it on the other day. I like 2 songs.

Still and Slipping.

Mick

My two favorites are Grace To Grace and Home On The Strange.

• Like 2

They would need to create another Rush album for Geddy to write more lyrics. They haven't and Geddy hasn't.

They wouldn't want to upset the publishing rights apple cart at this point anyway. It's not just about words...it's about money.

They would need to create another Rush album for Geddy to write more lyrics. They haven't and Geddy hasn't.

They wouldn't want to upset the publishing rights apple cart at this point anyway. It's not just about words...it's about money.

Shouldn't matter if they split everything even three ways now?

So Victor is Alex's solo effort?

Shouldn't matter if they split everything even three ways now?

So Victor is Alex's solo effort?

I seem to remember it was offered not necessarily as a "solo Alex Lifeson" album, but just a different band featuring Lifeson--but I don't think anyone really considered it that way. His face is on the cover, for one thing.