Daft Punk: Genius, or not?

Daft Punk  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Daft Punk--Genuis, or not

• Yes. Hell yes
    • No TM you're smokin' crack

Been jamming hard on some Random Access Memories for a while now. They've made the old new again. I've found the music endlessly complex and wondrous. Anybody here hip to them?

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/story/daft-punk-all-hail-our-robot-overlords-20130521/20130517-daft-punk-1184-624x420-1369075486.jpg

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

Been jamming hard on some Random Access Memories for a while now. They've made the old new again. I've found the music endlessly complex and wondrous. Anybody here hip to them?

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/story/daft-punk-all-hail-our-robot-overlords-20130521/20130517-daft-punk-1184-624x420-1369075486.jpg

How's that Natalie Maines War on Nashville workin' out these days?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Giorgio_Moroder_%282%29.jpg/220px-Giorgio_Moroder_%282%29.jpg

"Giorgio by Moroder" features the voice and story of Giorgio Moroder.

Giorgio Moroder first publicly mentioned his collaboration with Daft Punk as early as May 2012; he revealed that he had recorded a monologue about his life for a track on the album.[1] Daft Punk's pitch to Moroder was to conduct an extensive interview with him, and to edit excerpts of the resulting monologue into a documentary song.[2] "Giorgio by Moroder" was created to serve as a metaphor about musical freedom, as Daft Punk believed that a monologue by Moroder about his career would be an analogue for music's history regarding exploration of genres and tastes.[3] The duo had been in contact with Moroder in relation to a possible contribution for the Tron: Legacy film score, but this never occurred.[4]

Moroder clarified that he was not involved in the composition of the track or its use of a synthesizer: "They did not let me get involved at all. Thomas asked me if I wanted to tell the story of my life. Then they would know what to do with it."[5] Moroder further explained that he was unaware of how they would incorporate his monologue, at one point thinking the duo "might cut it up into a rap".[6] Daft Punk had based the composition on a demo the duo had made years earlier, specifically because the two felt that the piece resembled Moroder's style.[7] Upon hearing the song later in complete form, Moroder felt that the composition had been inspired by his own past recordings, particularly his "I Feel Love" collaboration with Donna Summer.[5]

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

How's that Natalie Maines War on Nashville workin' out these days?

Hater

In a word...yes!

At first they were a bit of a guilty pleasure, for me. But now I don't care. :D

• Like 2

In a word...yes!

This album is a homerun. Drums were all live. Very precise and LOTS of care went into the vibe of this music

• Like 1

When I heard them for the first time, it was Get Lucky, and I thought it was infectiously groovy that they couldn't possibly have any other songs that good. But then I got the album, and was just blown away.

I get my funk on every once in a good while, yes...and that album is essential.

• Like 1

In a word...yes!

When I listen to this music I am moved. I like to dance. I can flat out ball. When me and the kids put this on..watch out!

• Like 1

When I heard them for the first time, it was Get Lucky, and I thought it was infectiously groovy that they couldn't possibly have any other songs that good. But then I got the album, and was just blown away.

I get my funk on every once in a good while, yes...and that album is essential.

Isn't it amazing how they've brought ALL of the relevant sounds of 70's disco and made it something bigger and better?

• Like 1

If youve never listened to their album "Discovery", its pretty freaking awesome, its kind of a concept album as well.

Specifically awesome songs - Aerodynamic, Harder better faster stronger, and Face to Face

Heres the entire album, if you look at the info, you can click the hyperlink to get to specific songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd6hBzN2BcE

• Like 1

If youve never listened to their album "Discovery", its pretty freaking awesome, its kind of a concept album as well.

Specifically awesome songs - Aerodynamic, Harder better faster stronger, and Face to Face

Heres the entire album, if you look at the info, you can click the hyperlink to get to specific songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd6hBzN2BcE

Yep yep--a great work

Glad to see another Rush fan has accepted our new robot overlords.

Yes, Daft Punk is an amazing duo of writers, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Off their Random Access Memories album which you are picking apart right now, I find the two best tracks to be the Minimalist and Maximalist tracks, Doing it Right and Touch. The simplicity, yet well calculated rhythms are amazing, and Panda Bear's (My favorite artist) vocals are the cherry on top. Touch meanwhile plays all the right cards in instrumentation and arrangement.

I also seriously recommend their live album, Alive 2007, it is just astounding how they mix their tracks, and its in my top five albums of all time for sure.

• Like 1

I was never into their older stuff much, but the natural aspect of RAM convinced me these guys are the real deal. If you take away that shit track Lose Yourself To Dance you have a masterpiece of an album.

Highlights for me: Give Life Back To Music, Touch, Motherboard, Contact, though all of the tracks except Lose Yourself To Dance have something great to offer. I was absolutely thrilled with this album.

• Like 1

computer_says_no.jpg

Hater

I agree...sort of...

I will not deny that I really enjoyed this album when it came out. But it got old fast.

computer_says_no.jpg

Hater

I agree...sort of...

I will not deny that I really enjoyed this album when it came out. But it got old fast.

I'm sure you went straight from Daft Punk to Bruce Springsteen...who get's old fast

computer_says_no.jpg

Hater

I agree...sort of...

I'm sure you went straight from Daft Punk to Bruce Springsteen...who get's old fast

Bruce gets better with every play.

The man is a gift.