Least Glorious to ???? - LIVE (Round 8)

Bigbobby10

Least Glorious to ???? - LIVE (Round 8)  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your least favorite album

• All The Worlds A Stage
    • Exit... Stage Left
    • Different Stages

I am absolutely shocked that Different Stages is losing. It has an entire disk of early Rush at their prog and rock peak, plus 2 disks of great sounding classic Rush with the best of the new material. It is the equivalent of the best of early Rush and the best of 1976-96 Rush. The only thing I can think of is that people haven't listened to it and are scared of the nostalgia greatest hits of studio tracks on ESL.
  • Like 2

The fact that ATWAS is still there proves that TRF is ruled by people who still think it's 1981. Interesting. And I have nothing against those people, but it does go to show you that a lot of Rush fans don't like change.

1981 ???

**** that - it's 1977

;)

I'm shocked a lot of people are still "fan enough" to be posting on the message board of a band whose best output they consider to have been 35 or so years ago. Some Syd-Barrett-esque permanent damage caused by the pitch in Geddys voice or something.

I'm shocked a lot of people are still "fan enough" to be posting on the message board of a band whose best output they consider to have been 35 or so years ago. Some Syd-Barrett-esque permanent damage caused by the pitch in Geddys voice or something.

Isn't that you, except with a 25?

I voted Exit Stage Left because of Disc 3 on Different Stages - possibly my single favorite RUSH disc ever

Disc 3 alone is better than ESL. Though in the awesomeness of Discs 1 and 2, and it's a blowout.

Must have been some pretty awesome stuff that fanhood could survive Presto and S&A....

• Like 1

LOL

I was a little sheepish about it in the beginning when I joined here - but now, after about 80 posts, I am "fan enough" to admit that what my boys did after 1982 is totally void of anything I can enjoy or relate to

Still love 'em though - always will

The fact that ATWAS is still there proves that TRF is ruled by people who still think it's 1981. Interesting. And I have nothing against those people, but it does go to show you that a lot of Rush fans don't like change.

With all due respect it just proves that there are more than a few here who know when their best music was made. Live or otherwise.. :)

Yeah no kidding. If that reasoning were true, if someone wanted Different Stages to win, would that mean they still think it's 1998?

• Like 4

LOL

I was a little sheepish about it in the beginning when I joined here - but now, after about 80 posts, I am "fan enough" to admit that what my boys did after 1982 is totally void of anything I can enjoy or relate to

Still love 'em though - always will

Void of anything? Hey, I begrudge the keyboard era as much as anyone, but have enjoyed the guitar resurgence of the last 22 years. My favorite material is 2112 through MP, but would gladly enjoy and rock to-

Driven

Double Agent

Headlong Flight

Anarchist

Cut to the Chase

Far Cry

ESL is f***ing garbage and as I hoped wouldn't happen, the nostalgia is coming into play it seems. That shouldn't matter when picking these. Different Stages has everything you could want.
  • Like 1

ESL is f***ing garbage and as I hoped wouldn't happen, the nostalgia is coming into play it seems. That shouldn't matter when picking these. Different Stages has everything you could want.

It's not nostalgia. ESL is just my favourite. In fact, it's probably my 2nd most listened to Rush album, after Hemispheres.

It doesn't bother me that it was touched up in the studio (I also love Unleashed in the East), or that there's hardly any crowd. All that interests me is that I love every minute of it from start to finish. Especially the perfection that is Broon's Bane-The Trees-Xanadu.

If you don't like it, that's cool. Everyone has opinions and preferences...but don't go reducing other peoples opinions to "nostalgia".

• Like 2

"void of anything since 1982?"

I tried defending Rush on that one...but fans are letting that one above go in order to defend ESL. Iget it.. The poll is more important than Rush.If that were true then everyone should sell all their R41 tix now.

uhhh......ATWAS Was 76 dude.

Mick

No. I mean pre-ESL 1981. Because I've noticed a lot of ATWAS fans hate post-MP Rush. Just my observation. :)

Maybe ATWAS is still here because it's a widely-recognized seminal live album -- a masterpiece of sorts -- whether you're a Rush fan or not, such as my hard rock-loving older brother who loves ATWAS but never really got into any of their other stuff. As a singular piece of art it is arguably their greatest work, at least among their live releases, and the voting simply reflects that. :) Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Mick

No. I mean pre-ESL 1981. Because I've noticed a lot of ATWAS fans hate post-MP Rush. Just my observation. :)

This seems exceedingly obvious to me, but you do understand that ESL has no post-MP Rush songs on it, right? The group of fans you are "observing" are more likely to like ESL than ATWAS if we base this just on the songs most people like. The difference is that many fans of live albums and performances don't enjoy ESL and ASOH because they don't sound live.

I voted for Different Stages because it is the one that I listen to the least. Part of it is the fact that my Disc 1 of Different Stages developed a star-shaped crack in it after about the 2nd listen. I was too cheap to buy a new one. But I absolutely love Disc 3.

Also, I grew up on ATWAS and ESL. So, in my mind, they are the top 2.

Love ESL for Jacob's Ladder, Broons Bane>Trees>Xanadu, and La Villa.

Love ATWAS for By Tor and 2112.

Nothing on Different Stages to me shines and stands out like the above examples.

I've been relistening to the first 2 discs of Different Stages, and it is just an amazing album. Geddy's voice still sounds great, the live sound is muscular, but not overcrowded, and the guys are just attacking their instruments. On a few of the songs, it seems like they are playing faster and more aggressively than on the studio tracks, really giving the sense of energy, power, and immediacy. I think I like the version of Natural Science even better than on PeW.
  • Like 2

I'm digging Different Stages because of the video from that tour that was on the R40 box set video! it gave me a new appreciation of that tour... DS was a great release...loved the early disc as well..just wish they would release the rest of that show at some point (hoping for an R40 live CD box, too!)

I've been relistening to the first 2 discs of Different Stages, and it is just an amazing album. Geddy's voice still sounds great, the live sound is muscular, but not overcrowded, and the guys are just attacking their instruments. On a few of the songs, it seems like they are playing faster and more aggressively than on the studio tracks, really giving the sense of energy, power, and immediacy. I think I like the version of Natural Science even better than on PeW.

http://youtu.be/EndaI-okEIc

:haz:

Mick

This seems exceedingly obvious to me, but you do understand that ESL has no post-MP Rush songs on it, right? The group of fans you are "observing" are more likely to like ESL than ATWAS if we base this just on the songs most people like. The difference is that many fans of live albums and performances don't enjoy ESL and ASOH because they don't sound live.

That last part sums it up. That's why I said pre-ESL 1981. Because everyone loves Moving Pictures, but lots of people don't care for ESL because of its studio-like production. I, for one, don't mind it. Different Stages is better anyway.

I don't think I have a problem with Different Stages so much as that I find it's overshadowed by a number of bootlegs from that era (Great Woods and Summer Skies, Bigger and Better in Texas). I just prefer full shows from one venue, so I never think of listening to DS except occasionally for the bonus disk.
  • Like 1

I just prefer full shows from one venue, so I never think of listening to DS except occasionally for the bonus disk.

I agree!

And I know that All the World's a Stage is not all from the same show, either, but I don't care.

I guess because I know that even on the first two discs of Different Stages, two different tours are represented, that comprise it- it kind of sullies it for me. I don't know, call me crazy.

I don't have any boots from the Test for Echo tour, but anyway, I also prefer a whole singular show- even if it has a couple of warts on it.