Truth or blasphemy?

Rush Fan in Michigan

My buddy and I are at No. 11 in our R40 countdown. In a development that surprised both of us, we each picked "2112" for No. 11. each expecting the other to launch into a tirade.

Truth be told, neither of us thought Side 2 has aged very well at all. Side 1 is still one of the most glorious sides in all of rock.

Here's our rant. Are we way out in left field on this one?

Rush R40 Countdown at No. 11: Truth or blasphemy? Half of classic '2112' just hasn't aged well

I read your review of side 2 of 2112, and must simply say, to each his own :).

I will politely disagree with you though. While side 1 is one of Rush's undisputed masterpieces, side 2 gets the short end of the stick in comparison a lot of times. It seems pretty unfair to me because it's a good selection of songs of a different nature. Passage to Bangkok and Lessons both have admirable rockin grooves. Twilight Zone is corny in a good way and really captures the mood of the show. Tears is kind of a clunker compared to the rest, but still pleasant to hear Ged getting all sentimental and expressive. Something for Nothing...pure ball busting, crash in your face rock of the best kind.

As the official co-ambassadress of 2112, I declare my duty done. Good day to you :coy:

• Like 6

Way too low...no way this album should be below frigging Presto (or CP or TFE or RTB) for that matter. Grand Finale alone blows Presto away, and side 2 alone is better than any of the aforementioned albums.
  • Like 3

Presto is definitely too high seeing it's not ranked yet.

I wonder if he's got the 62 edition ranked in the top half of Met teams?

Although they were at least interesting, which submarines all comparisons to Presto.

The 62 team was more like the lyrical content to TFE...

CoS, AFTK, VT, FBN, S&A, CA and now 2112 ranked below Presto and RTB, easily, far and away their very worst, most regrettable releases?!? Twilight Zone is great btw. Side 2 of 2112 is great. If it only had A Passage to Bangkok and Something for Nothing, and between was a cover of Revolution 9 using only a xylophone, it would still be great.
  • Like 2

Oh man, I don't understand the lack of love for "Presto," which I really like, and the lyrics of "Test for Echo." I once planned an entire church youth group lesson around "Totem."

And the 1962 Mets were a lovable collection former Dodgers and Giants -- all of whom were well past their prime, to be sure.

The countdown is getting tougher as we get into the top half, especially for a band that really hasn't issued a bad album ever.

Like I said in the column, I'm an old guy who played the heck out of 2112 when I was in high school and it was a recent release. But over the years I've found myself drawn to the other albums. Time and place are always important with the way we remember music, and I have fonder memories of the college and young adult years than I do of high school. That all might be jumbled up in there somewhere.

CoS, AFTK, VT, FBN, S&A, CA and now 2112 ranked below Presto and RTB, easily, far and away their very worst, most regrettable releases?!? Twilight Zone is great btw. Side 2 of 2112 is great. If it only had A Passage to Bangkok and Something for Nothing, and between was a cover of Revolution 9 using only a xylophone, it would still be great.

I'd LOVE to hear Neil pound out "Revolution 9" on a xylophone!!!

• Like 2

I read your review of side 2 of 2112, and must simply say, to each his own :).

I will politely disagree with you though. While side 1 is one of Rush's undisputed masterpieces, side 2 gets the short end of the stick in comparison a lot of times. It seems pretty unfair to me because it's a good selection of songs of a different nature. Passage to Bangkok and Lessons both have admirable rockin grooves. Twilight Zone is corny in a good way and really captures the mood of the show. Tears is kind of a clunker compared to the rest, but still pleasant to hear Ged getting all sentimental and expressive. Something for Nothing...pure ball busting, crash in your face rock of the best kind.

As the official co-ambassadress of 2112, I declare my duty done. Good day to you :coy:

^^^You go girl :cheerleader: ... :)

Somebody must really love synth's to rank 2112 11th on a Rush list. The Debut was the first to go around here in a poll recently so I guess anything is possible. There is a reason they (whoever "they" are) chose 2112 and Moving Pictures on the Classic Albums show... :codger:
  • Like 3

Somebody must really love synth's to rank 2112 11th on a Rush list. The Debut was the first to go around here in a poll recently so I guess anything is possible. There is a reason they (whoever "they" are) chose 2112 and Moving Pictures on the Classic Albums show... :codger:

Yeah, but if you notice, they didn't really cover side 2, which is definitely a bit uneven. No one can dispute side 1, however.

Yeah, but if you notice, they didn't really cover side 2, which is definitely a bit uneven. No one can dispute side 1, however.

The show I saw did... :huh:
  • Like 1

^^ Yeah, I definitely recall Terry walking us through much, if not all, of side 2.
  • Like 2

^^ Yeah, I definitely recall Terry walking us through much, if not all, of side 2.

Yep. The "toking" in PTB to the whispering voices in Twilight Zone etc. That side is beautiful in its own way. "Filler" was to come much later in their career... :codger:
  • Like 1

A Passage To Bangkok - pure gold

The Twilight Zone - forgotten pure gold

Lessons - forgotten pure gold

Tears - a fine song

Something For Nothing - pure gold

• Like 2

A Passage To Bangkok - pure gold

The Twilight Zone - forgotten pure gold

Lessons - forgotten pure gold

Tears - a fine song

Something For Nothing - pure gold

Works for me... :cheers:

Yep. The "toking" in PTB to the whispering voices in Twilight Zone etc. That side is beautiful in its own way. "Filler" was to come much later in their career... :codger:

Having heard ATWAS before I heard 2112, I was amazed at the time how strong the second side was. I figured that with the 2112 juggernaut on the first side the second side would be sort of limp. But, it was the opposite, it completely rocked as well, and more impressively, it did it with a completely different approach than side 1.

• Like 1

Having heard ATWAS before I heard 2112, I was amazed at the time how strong the second side was. I figured that with the 2112 juggernaut on the first side the second side would be sort of limp. But, it was the opposite, it completely rocked as well, and more impressively, it did it with a completely different approach than side 1.

Yep. You and I of course have much in common regarding ATWAS and the discovering of the studio albums that preceded it... :codger: