Any cyclists out there?

Howdy folks. Any cyclists out there? If so, I could use a little advice.

Here's the backstory. I am not an "avid" cyclist (as in one of those guys who rides 50+ miles a day), but I do ride 25 or so 3 or 4 times a week. I have what some would consider "expensive" bikes (usually around $1,750 with upgrades), but just can't justify dropping the $4K+ you can on bikes these days.

I do road ride, but typically avoid it unless it is a stretch that is lightly traveled as drivers tend to have no respect for cyclsists, but I prefer to trail ride and only rarely truly "mountain" bike. My favored road bike is a Specialized Allez Comp with a few upgrades. My latest trail bike - it just arrived this week and I am giddy as a kid at Christmas - is a Specialized Rockhopper Evo (I just don't like to ride a soft tail, so stay in the Rockhopper range) with a few upgrades. I also have a hybrid Trek Verve that I use for quick little rides around the city (over to the gym, to the store to grab something, etc.).

Anyway, the bikes I ride can generally handle anything, so equipment is not an issue.

That's where I am hoping some of you can help. Each spring/summer/fall (depends upon where I am going and weather there), I try to find a new and different place to ride. The ride can be road, it can be extended trail, or it can be technical trail/mountain. I am game for anything, but I do like to make a vacation of it... meaning I am looking to ride, of course, but also open to hiking and water, as well as some good food and historical things to admire.

I am, though, running out of ideas. Anyone know of some great places near them? Anywhere is North America is good with me as I can generally get my bikes (I prefer to pay to ship and ride my own rather than rent there) anywhere I want.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

Here's the backstory. I am not an "avid" cyclist (as in one of those guys who rides 50+ miles a day), but I do ride 25 or so 3 or 4 times a week. I have what some would consider "expensive" bikes (usually around $1,750 with upgrades), but just can't justify dropping the $4K+ you can on bikes these days.

I do road ride, but typically avoid it unless it is a stretch that is lightly traveled as drivers tend to have no respect for cyclsists, but I prefer to trail ride and only rarely truly "mountain" bike. My favored road bike is a Specialized Allez Comp with a few upgrades. My latest trail bike - it just arrived this week and I am giddy as a kid at Christmas - is a Specialized Rockhopper Evo (I just don't like to ride a soft tail, so stay in the Rockhopper range) with a few upgrades. I also have a hybrid Trek Verve that I use for quick little rides around the city (over to the gym, to the store to grab something, etc.).

Anyway, the bikes I ride can generally handle anything, so equipment is not an issue.

That's where I am hoping some of you can help. Each spring/summer/fall (depends upon where I am going and weather there), I try to find a new and different place to ride. The ride can be road, it can be extended trail, or it can be technical trail/mountain. I am game for anything, but I do like to make a vacation of it... meaning I am looking to ride, of course, but also open to hiking and water, as well as some good food and historical things to admire.

I am, though, running out of ideas. Anyone know of some great places near them? Anywhere is North America is good with me as I can generally get my bikes (I prefer to pay to ship and ride my own rather than rent there) anywhere I want.

Every September Mammoth Mountain hosts a great Century ride. It's called the Mammoth Grand Fondo. One of the most Scenic rides in the U.S. The great thing is out of the 100 mile ride approx. 70 miles is on a road where you will maybe see two or three cars. If you don't want to do the 100 miles there are shorter alternatives. Afterward or before you can hit the endless awesome mountain bike trails and hike your arse off in some of the most beautiful places. http://www.fallcentury.org/
  • Like 1

Every September Mammoth Mountain hosts a great Century ride. It's called the Mammoth Grand Fondo. One of the most Scenic rides in the U.S. The great thing is out of the 100 mile ride approx. 70 miles is on a road where you will maybe see two or three cars. If you don't want to do the 100 miles there are shorter alternatives. Afterward or before you can hit the endless awesome mountain bike trails and hike your arse off in some of the most beautiful places. http://www.fallcentury.org/

Thank you!

This looks perfect and falls in a great window of time for me. I don't think I am up for the 102 (but might be by the end of the summer), but I can definitely do the 70.

Alas, I am down for the count for about another week, maybe two. I had a wipe out the middle of last week that ended with a cracked rib. The actual pain seems to be more in the cartilage and muscle. The other night I hopped on the hybrid and rode around the neighborhood in some light gears just to see if I could ride at all. It wasn't excruciating, but it also wasn't a good idea to ride.... that and the fact that I then almost hit a deer seemed to me to be the universe telling me to stay off a bike a while longer!

Thanks, again. I am going to look into travel and shipping options.