Garden Road vs The Garden

toymaker

Garden Road vs. The Garden  

62 members have voted

1. 1. The early-career song about figuring out the questions or the late-career song about having the answers?

I love The Garden. Won't apologize for it. Too many scary, nearly end-of-life moments with myself or my children to not love that song.

^^^This. At my age and with my kids now adults this song hits me where I live...

Exactly. I have noticed a distinct age gap when it comes to this song. I fully believe the younger Rush fans will appreciate it when they are longer in the tooth.

There is just a certain point in life were you just take stock in what you have accomplished and your legacy. What positive effect and influence have I had and made and on whom. This song speaks to that accouting of ones life and the difference one makes in spades. Do I and did I matter? That's the way I see it anyway... :)

I'll add some to the conversation here (some more words, anyway- you guys can decide they're anything worthwhile!)...I'm just starting to think about my legacy, as it relates to what my sons think of me, as they're growing up- currently ages eleven and eight. But I definitely, for quite awhile and legacy notwithstanding, have looked back on life and what it has been. I can understand the younger Rush fans not being much into it, in terms of its content, but I'm much more in line with the older Rush fans (if we're going to make that distinction as far as which group of folks likes it better, and why)- because I get a whole lot out of the song, emotionally.

And I beg to differ that The Garden does not rock.

:goodone: I didn't mention in my previous posts on this subject why I think younger folks generally don't get much from the song. You nailed it so I won't bother. Legacies (Gardens) are generally for the older among us... :codger: :sigh:

Maybe you need to have kids to get it.

^^^ This is something I have considered as part of the puzzle. if you will, as to why some dig it and are moved to reflection by the song and some are not. Don't know. Nothing is a one size fits all anyway. I obviously do get curious about such things though but I attempt not to come off snobbish about it... :)
  • Like 2

I love The Garden. Won't apologize for it. Too many scary, nearly end-of-life moments with myself or my children to not love that song.

^^^This. At my age and with my kids now adults this song hits me where I live...

Exactly. I have noticed a distinct age gap when it comes to this song. I fully believe the younger Rush fans will appreciate it when they are longer in the tooth.

There is just a certain point in life were you just take stock in what you have accomplished and your legacy. What positive effect and influence have I had and made and on whom. This song speaks to that accouting of ones life and the difference one makes in spades. Do I and did I matter? That's the way I see it anyway... :)

I'll add some to the conversation here (some more words, anyway- you guys can decide they're anything worthwhile!)...I'm just starting to think about my legacy, as it relates to what my sons think of me, as they're growing up- currently ages eleven and eight. But I definitely, for quite awhile and legacy notwithstanding, have looked back on life and what it has been. I can understand the younger Rush fans not being much into it, in terms of its content, but I'm much more in line with the older Rush fans (if we're going to make that distinction as far as which group of folks likes it better, and why)- because I get a whole lot out of the song, emotionally.

:goodone: I didn't mention in my previous posts on this subject why I think younger folks generally don't get much from the song. You nailed it so I won't bother. Legacies (Gardens) are generally for the older among us... :codger: :sigh:

^^^ This is something I have considered as part of the puzzle. if you will, as to why some dig it and are moved to reflection by the song and some are not. Don't know. Nothing is a one size fits all anyway. I obviously do get curious about such things though but I attempt not to come off snobbish about it... :)

I also am very aware that to say it automatically resonates more with older fans versus younger ones is a big generalization- I was sort of hinting at that in my previous post in this thread. To each his or her own as far as whether it does resonate or not, and why.

I also don't think Neil could or would have written lyrics like those in The Garden, during the 1980s. Just my take on it. :codger:

• Like 3

First Rush song vs the last Rush song, it begins and ends in the garden.. What a lovely thought lol

One has never been played live with Neil, the other was on the last tour.. One rocks and one doesn't.. No brainer? Anyone??

That's Peart drumming on Garden Road, no?

• Like 2

First Rush song vs the last Rush song, it begins and ends in the garden.. What a lovely thought lol

One has never been played live with Neil, the other was on the last tour.. One rocks and one doesn't.. No brainer? Anyone??

On the widely circulated 8/25/74, yes indeed.

I like Garden Road, but like much of pre-2112 Rush, it's just too raw and unpolished.

The Garden, on the other hand, is a true masterpiece. Such a beautiful song. My vote goes here.

• Like 2

You know me Narpsberg, I dive deep into the data...sometimes to a fault..LOL

• Like 1

I try to remember who likes what around here and try to consider their age, do they have kids etc etc etc etc and I just can't keep up to accurately develop some kind of hypothesis about certain things and subjects. I just can't do it and am stuck with generalizations only... :LOL:

:wacko: :blink: <---------------------------------- Me attempting what I have stated above

Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 1

It's gotta be Rutsey. The song is from like '73 I think

Really?? I didn't know that he ever played it.. Ya I guess if they played it on the first tour it'd be Neil. Cool!

Really?? I didn't know that he ever played it.. Ya I guess if they played it on the first tour it'd be Neil. Cool!

Ack!! I'm glad you quoted this, because I got the date wrong (but only by one digit)- it is 8/26/74. I'll double check, but yes, I'm pretty sure it's on that one- it's most commonly known as Fifth Order of Angels, I guess.

(I always just use dates, which is why I'm especially feeling like a dunce- but it was a typo).

It's Peart.

Edited by JARG

I try to remember who likes what around here and try to consider their age, do they have kids etc etc etc etc and I just can't keep up to accurately develop some kind of hypothesis about certain things and subjects. I just can't do it and am stuck with generalizations only... :LOL:

:wacko: :blink: <---------------------------------- Me attempting what I have stated above

I have a separate folder on everyone...BAHAWWAAHHHHA

:rush:

Geddy announces Garden Road: "We're gonna do a number called Garden Road for ya." Why did musicians sometimes refer to songs as "numbers"? You don't hear that much any more. Bands might say, "here's a track from our latest album."

It seems old-fashioned to me, like how some older directors still refer to movies as "pictures" (I guess from "picture show"?).

Geddy announces Garden Road: "We're gonna do a number called Garden Road for ya." Why did musicians sometimes refer to songs as "numbers"? You don't hear that much any more. Bands might say, "here's a track from our latest album."

It seems old-fashioned to me, like how some older directors still refer to movies as "pictures" (I guess from "picture show"?).

I get the impression he was doing it deliberately. Kinda as a joke ala Dean Martin.

I get the impression he was doing it deliberately. Kinda as a joke ala Dean Martin.

It was 1974, after all. Using a term like that then was equivalent to someone using a term now that's a throwback to the...1990s? Or 2000s? :o (I don't even know what such a throwback term might be. That's how long it's been since I've been hip).

At the time of Rush's debut album, The Beatles had only 'conquered' America ten years earlier. That's how long ago that was.

• Like 1

Ged was a dorky high school dropout at the time (he's still a high school dropout, but his dork factor seems to have declined over the years)...I suspect his use of "number" wasn't at all tongue-in-cheek.

Ged was a dorky high school dropout at the time (he's still a high school dropout, but his dork factor seems to have declined over the years)...I suspect his use of "number" wasn't at all tongue-in-cheek.

It's all the same thing.

Garden Road is very good song but The Garden is one of best songs that Rush have ever done and the best track in Clockwork Angels album - I hope that I can hear it live in some day.