Garden Road vs The Garden

toymaker

Garden Road vs. The Garden  

62 members have voted

1. 1. The early-career song about figuring out the questions or the late-career song about having the answers?

Garden Road.

The Garden sounds like some 60 year old guys playing new music

Oh wait, now I get it

• Like 2

I'm not a big fan of The Garden but in this instance, I'm going to go with it. Garden Road is kind of boring.

Buh . . . buh . . . boring? Gasp, gag, sputter!

You have to be an insensitive lout not to like the Garden.

Which explains Sheldon's disdain for this beautiful song.

• Like 1

I love The Garden. Won't apologize for it. Too many scary, nearly end-of-life moments with myself or my children to not love that song.

^^^This. At my age and with my kids now adults this song hits me where I live...
  • Like 3

I love The Garden. Won't apologize for it. Too many scary, nearly end-of-life moments with myself or my children to not love that song.

^^^This. At my age and with my kids now adults this song hits me where I live...

Exactly. I have noticed a distinct age gap when it comes to this song. I fully believe the younger Rush fans will appreciate it when they are longer in the tooth.

• Like 3

I'm not a big fan of The Garden but in this instance, I'm going to go with it. Garden Road is kind of boring.

Buh . . . buh . . . boring? Gasp, gag, sputter!

It's just a typical blues song in 4/4. Heard songs similar to it so many times. It's got a lot of energy but that's all I can say for it.

Exactly. I have noticed a distinct age gap when it comes to this song. I fully believe the younger Rush fans will appreciate it when they are longer in the tooth.

There is just a certain point in life were you just take stock in what you have accomplished and your legacy. What positive effect and influence have I had and made and on whom. This song speaks to that accouting of ones life and the difference one makes in spades. Do I and did I matter? That's the way I see it anyway... :)

• Like 4

Both great tunes. Wouldn't it be cool if Garden Road made it on the setlist for R40/41? But The Garden is a beautiful song. Prefer The Garden (and voted for that) but would rather see Garden Road live (as I have already seen The Garden)

First Rush song vs the last Rush song, it begins and ends in the garden.. What a lovely thought lol

One has never been played live with Neil, the other was on the last tour.. One rocks and one doesn't.. No brainer? Anyone??

There is just a certain point in life were you just take stock in what you have accomplished and your legacy. What positive effect and influence have I had and made and on whom. This song speaks to that accouting of ones life and the difference one makes in spades. Do I and did I matter? That's the way I see it anyway... :)

I'll add some to the conversation here (some more words, anyway- you guys can decide they're anything worthwhile!)...I'm just starting to think about my legacy, as it relates to what my sons think of me, as they're growing up- currently ages eleven and eight. But I definitely, for quite awhile and legacy notwithstanding, have looked back on life and what it has been. I can understand the younger Rush fans not being much into it, in terms of its content, but I'm much more in line with the older Rush fans (if we're going to make that distinction as far as which group of folks likes it better, and why)- because I get a whole lot out of the song, emotionally.

And I beg to differ that The Garden does not rock.

• Like 2

I'll add some to the conversation here (some more words, anyway- you guys can decide they're anything worthwhile!)...I'm just starting to think about my legacy, as it relates to what my sons think of me, as they're growing up- currently ages eleven and eight. But I definitely, for quite awhile and legacy notwithstanding, have looked back on life and what it has been. I can understand the younger Rush fans not being much into it, in terms of its content, but I'm much more in line with the older Rush fans (if we're going to make that distinction as far as which group of folks likes it better, and why)- because I get a whole lot out of the song, emotionally.

:goodone: I didn't mention in my previous posts on this subject why I think younger folks generally don't get much from the song. You nailed it so I won't bother. Legacies (Gardens) are generally for the older among us... :codger: :sigh: Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 3

:goodone: I didn't mention in my previous posts on this subject why I think younger folks generally don't get much from the song. You nailed it so I won't bother. Legacies (Gardens) are generally for the older among us... :codger: :sigh:

I am an Older Rush fan, and I don't like the Garden. So it's not an 'Old vs. Young' thing for me.

It does not make me reflective on my own existence.

Maybe you need to have kids to get it. Been married forever, and wife and I are career motivated.

Would 'The Garden' have the same feel to older Rush fans had it came out in the 1980's?

Doubtful.

Songs are opened to interpretation, so to each his own. Plus when it comes to Rush, we view them different then other artists because they are very important in our lives.

To me 'Bravado' is more realistic look at life. It trumps 'The Garden' in every way.

• Like 1