Live albums vs Studio albums

YYZumbi

40 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer to listen to when you shall listen to Rush?

What do you prefer to listen to when you shall listen to Rush? Their live albums, or their studio albums?

I am not counting videos, only CDs/vinyls/Flac/Mp3/whatever!

and why do you prefer it?

I prefer live albums. Because it is so much power and energy in them. and most of the songs, Rush do better live then on the studio albums.

So my vote will go to live albums!

Studio albums by far. I love the perfectionism of them. Live albums are fine once in a while but generally if I'm listening to Rush, it's a studio album.

I prefer live albums. Because it is so much power and energy in them. and most of the songs, Rush do better live then on the studio albums.

I voted studio albums because less than .07% of the time that I listen to Rush is live albums. I may have to give what you posted serious consideration.

Serious? No votes for live albums?

We're not dealing with Phish or the Dead here; Rush doesn't do much improv or anything live. They pretty much just try and recreate the studio sound

We're not dealing with Phish or the Dead here; Rush doesn't do much improv or anything live. They pretty much just try and recreate the studio sound

I disagree. They do some cool stuff that doesn't happen on the studio albums. Such as reggae Working Man during Time Machine Tour. And even thou they do try and recreate the studio sound, it is something that makes it better, because, like I said earlier, it is more power in the music when they play it live.

I disagree. They do some cool stuff that doesn't happen on the studio albums. Such as reggae Working Man during Time Machine Tour. And even thou they do try and recreate the studio sound, it is something that makes it better, because, like I said earlier, it is more power in the music when they play it live.

Good point, forgot about reggae Working Man and polka La Villa Strangiato; in that case, f**k live Rush lol
  • Like 1

Studio.

Never enjoyed their live albums, coz I find more joy in watching them on dvd (only chance i will ever get too).

• Like 1

Studio. If I am choosing to play a random record it is rarely a Live album.

Plus we can all agree ESL is a bad remastered studio record.

I would put on ATWAS and DS if i'm in the right mood. But very rare

• Like 1

With Rush in live form your basically getting studio versions with crowd noise, lol. that's not a bad thing. they're just not like a jam band.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

Dude, what would be the right live album to test your opinion of the "synth era"? Something after the release of Hold Your Fire.

Dude, what would be the right live album to test your opinion of the "synth era"? Something after the release of Hold Your Fire.

Grace Under Pressure 1984 Tour is a good synth era live album.

Other than All the World's a Stage, I generally prefer studio albums to live ones. ATWAS is just too awesome to ignore, and Different Stages is great, too. But generally, it's just a mood thing.

I picked studio simply because that's the majority of what I listen to. Live albums are great for a different kind of energy.

Live albums are amazing when recorded and mixed right and to a lesser extent when the band and crowd are synch with each other, but with :rush: and every band I've liked in my life, it's always the studio which I prefer most of the time.

Studio albums by far, I never listen to live albums any more....there are a few artists/bands I enjoy live albums by, like Talking Heads, Level 42, Weather Report, Japan, Frank Zappa & Miles Davis.