Canadians will get to 'Pick and Pay' TV in 2016

Disembodied Spirit

Starting in 2016 in Canada you will get to subscribe only to those channels you actually watch.

Hallelujah. Now if only the good ol USA can follow in their footsteps.

Got me thinking, how many channels do you actually NEED or use on a daily/ weekly basis.

And in the future will you go, "I don't watch that show, my house gets no A&E."

http://finance.yahoo...-202608119.html

• Like 1

I honestly only really watch 4 channels on a regular basis. Fox News, History, HGTV and The Golf Channel. The first 3 I would say I have on at least 90% of the time... :codger:
  • Like 1

I honestly only really watch 4 channels on a regular basis. Fox News, History, HGTV and The Golf Channel. The first 3 I would say I have on at least 90% of the time... :codger:

How nice would it be to ONLY have 1 news channel.

All of the Bravo, USA, etc....I never watch them....

Anyone get that new Sling TV? I got that on my new Roku device I got with my tax return money. It has live streaming cable channels and even has the most recent and 4th US premium channel, Epix. That's the channel that plays nothing but Paramount, MGM and Lionsgate titles new and old which formed after the previous home of the studios, Showtime, wouldn't renegotiate their contracts with them.

I also hear that new HBO Now is gonna be on Apple TV and Sony has their new Vue service out in 3 markets now.

This is great. When I used to watch TV I'd only care about Space and Discovery (which they seriously need to rename nowadays). I know a few of my friends will likely just have the channel which airs Game of Thrones.

That would be terrible. A great way to brainwash the masses even more!!

But aren't people already brainwashing themselves with the news?

Most people are loyal to one news source. Fox, CNN, MSNBC.

Most people do not float between 3-4 news sources.

I equate it to your home internet page.

Most people ONLY see Yahoo or MSN. Not both.

Already happening.

I would really like to see the ala carte prices. I know ESPN is extremely expensive, and likely would be ala carte. This may cause a lot of channels to die, especially if nobody wants them. Nobody watching = no advertising dollars.

That would be terrible. A great way to brainwash the masses even more!!

But aren't people already brainwashing themselves with the news?

Most people are loyal to one news source. Fox, CNN, MSNBC.

Most people do not float between 3-4 news sources.

I equate it to your home internet page.

Most people ONLY see Yahoo or MSN. Not both.

Already happening.

On the topic of single 'news' source - The right is extremely loyal to fox, which is a partisan channel. Every GOP leaning friend/family/acquaintance I know watches fox. Every one. The left watches msnbc, also a partisan channel, but they also watch, as ratings indicate, cnn and the major networks. In the aggregate, that leads to an interesting interpretation of fair and balanced. The non affiliated, we watch the nhl network. But this is not SOCN, so I'll go back to crankin FBN away from here...

Haven't had satellite tv in a while. Netflixing and interneting stuff does enough for me.

That's where I'll be in May, when my DirectTV contract is up. I have the base package, which still costs me $1,000/year.

Ignore the monthly fee. Look at your annual bill and ask if dish or cable is worth it.

• Like 1

That is by choice, and just because it happens does not by any means make it ok., We should never be forced to only hear one side of anything.

Which is why you will get to choose.

Maybe you will choose 2 news services or 3 or 10.

At the same point I do not need 5 Disney channels, never a child in my house, but it's on my Cable.

The content is not the point, the point is, Let me choose

• Like 1

I'm not gonna get that Sony Vue until pay packages are available. I hear rumors Showtime is gonna make a deal with them. I love that it offers Fox Sports Net West, though, so I can watch my Angels games. Can't do that on Slingtv yet.

Regional sports broadcasts are such a crapshot. Glad you get your games

I'm not gonna get that Sony Vue until pay packages are available. I hear rumors Showtime is gonna make a deal with them. I love that it offers Fox Sports Net West, though, so I can watch my Angels games. Can't do that on Slingtv yet.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZC7cG53QJ6k/TcK1EaqEIQI/AAAAAAAAZQw/iLttDAmd5Ls/s400/polls_AngelsSuck_3609_314467_poll_xlarge.jpg Edited by goose

That is by choice, and just because it happens does not by any means make it ok., We should never be forced to only hear one side of anything.

Which is why you will get to choose.

Maybe you will choose 2 news services or 3 or 10.

At the same point I do not need 5 Disney channels, never a child in my house, but it's on my Cable.

The content is not the point, the point is, Let me choose

^^^This.

I have no use for the multiple Spanish language channels that are part of my DirecTV package. Thank goodness for their Favorite Channels subprogram routine, where I can program my own channels subset (and the wife can program hers).

• Like 1