Social Media: Houzz, Pinterest, Twitter, LinkedIN, Google+, Instagram

sundog

What's Houzz?

I was just about to post exactly the same question- I have never heard of it. :huh:

Then again, I have never been accused of being the hippest cat in the world, or anything...as I'm sure you can imagine. :P

http://www.houzz.com/

Houzz is for people who like home improvement.

Basically, here in North America it's taking off like crazy in the designer market. People that are building or remodeling to get ideas.

It's incredible.

you want small kitchen ideas - BOOM, pictures of small kitchens. Business pros can "tag" the items they sell in the photos to show you how to buy it, how much approx, and other details. Like looking at a magazine, but with more information and you can choose what you want to see.

Closet ideas?

Kitchen

It will blow your mind, at least it did mine. 2 years ago a customer mentioned it to me. I've since created a houzz page for the Lighting Showroom that I manage. We upload pictures of our lighting in the customer's home - with their permission of course. We send in a photographer to shoot their home, at a time convenient for them and we add them to our page. I then link the pictures to our Pinterest page, creating "Pins" ~ we are trying to capture people in their favourite social media, and not miss them.

My company's Houzz page:

http://www.houzz.com...ting-design-inc

Our Pinterest:

https://www.pinterest.com/primeld/

Our Website is really kind of boring comparatively - we do the fun stuff on our social media.

http://primelightingdesign.com/

I learn something new every day. :)

Thanks for the Houzz info! I am gathering information for a kitchen remodel this summer. (my idea- major :)) (my husband's idea- paint :) ) It sounds like it will have some good ideas! I had never heard of it before.

• Like 1

What's Houzz?

I was just about to post exactly the same question- I have never heard of it. :huh:

Then again, I have never been accused of being the hippest cat in the world, or anything...as I'm sure you can imagine. :P

http://www.houzz.com/

Houzz is for people who like home improvement.

Basically, here in North America it's taking off like crazy in the designer market. People that are building or remodeling to get ideas.

It's incredible.

you want small kitchen ideas - BOOM, pictures of small kitchens. Business pros can "tag" the items they sell in the photos to show you how to buy it, how much approx, and other details. Like looking at a magazine, but with more information and you can choose what you want to see.

Closet ideas?

Kitchen

It will blow your mind, at least it did mine. 2 years ago a customer mentioned it to me. I've since created a houzz page for the Lighting Showroom that I manage. We upload pictures of our lighting in the customer's home - with their permission of course. We send in a photographer to shoot their home, at a time convenient for them and we add them to our page. I then link the pictures to our Pinterest page, creating "Pins" ~ we are trying to capture people in their favourite social media, and not miss them.

My company's Houzz page:

http://www.houzz.com...ting-design-inc

Our Pinterest:

https://www.pinterest.com/primeld/

Our Website is really kind of boring comparatively - we do the fun stuff on our social media.

http://primelightingdesign.com/

I learn something new every day. :)

Thanks for the Houzz info! I am gathering information for a kitchen remodel this summer. (my idea- major :)) (my husband's idea- paint :) ) It sounds like it will have some good ideas! I had never heard of it before.

Give yourself lots of time to peruse! It will suck away the hours!

• Like 1

The only online social community things I do nowadays are TRF & Facebook. TRF can be fun, and of course this is where I can indulge my Rush addiction! I use FB for keeping in touch with friends, some family, and to see posts and information from various people and organizations I am interested in. FB has been a wonderful tool for staying in touch with and/or reconnecting with people I may otherwise have lost touch with, and that has been great.

I do limit the number of social network things I participate in because I'm wasting enough time online as it is. Other networks would be to some extent redundant, and I want to spend less time online, not more, so I chose the places where I get the most bang for my buck, so to speak.

I've been online for something like 22-23 years at this point, and I have to say online communication is such a godsend for introverts like me. Here I can participate in discussions, meet people, and generally be social without any of the awkwardness I would feel if we were all at a party. Back in the early 90s I was an active participant on Usenet message boards and that really changed my life. Yay for online communication!

• Like 3

What's Houzz?

:P

• Like 1

What's Houzz?

Check out Houzz and let me know what you think.

I find Houzz really addictive today... I will follow your company, I like your stuff!

Houzz IS really addicting, isn't it?

I used houzz for personal stuff before I ever created the business page - but it's such a worm hole - it just keeps you clicking. :LOL:

I'm so glad you like our stuff! :) Feed back is helpful, for sure!

• Like 1

What's Houzz?

Check out Houzz and let me know what you think.

Just did - very nice looking design.

• Like 1

Well ... just signed up on Tinder yesterday. And no, I didn't do it looking for sex but out of curiosity. Been trying dating for some time now with little to no luck, and two days on Tinder and I'm already having a really nice conversation :)
  • Like 2

Well ... just signed up on Tinder yesterday. And no, I didn't do it looking for sex but out of curiosity. Been trying dating for some time now with little to no luck, and two days on Tinder and I'm already having a really nice conversation :)

I haven't heard of Tinder either.

Sounds like your experience thus far has been positive!

:cheers:

Isn't Tinder one of those match-making sites?

Yeah ... well, it seems she has gone away so it was short-lived. I'm getting used to stuff like that going down the drain :)

It is. I like the fact that it's based on the attraction of photos. If I like someone and she likes me back we will be able to chat otherwise not.

It is. I like the fact that it's based on the attraction of photos. If I like someone and she likes me back we will be able to chat otherwise not.

Just watch out for Grindr...

• Like 2

This puts a lot of value in a picture.

You lose the opportunity at anyone that you don't like in a picture, when (and this is only my opinion) personality can make an average person much more attractive and the lack of personality can make an attractive person fall down the attractive scale.

I do wish you much luck in your search - it's difficult to put yourself out there sometimes.

• Like 3

Just this one and another board devoted to horse racing - I lurk more on that one, though. No FB or other social media sites.

One thing about LinkedIn - I've seen it cause some really awkward situations for people. For example, last year our company had a few people get canned - not let go, but fired, as in "your performance sucks, so you're outta here". A couple of them created LinkedIn accounts, and LinkedIn promptly mined their lives and sent invites to just about everyone in the firm that had just told them to get lost.

• Like 1

This puts a lot of value in a picture.

You lose the opportunity at anyone that you don't like in a picture, when (and this is only my opinion) personality can make an average person much more attractive and the lack of personality can make an attractive person fall down the attractive scale.

I do wish you much luck in your search - it's difficult to put yourself out there sometimes.

I think you're right. I use it to see if I can meet new people that way and see if the personality matches the outside. Never been one to settle for anything less than near-perfect, and it is those high ideals that can make it difficult to meet a potential new girlfriend. Now I'm more using Tinder to pass time. If there's a match I'll go "great, a women finds me attractive on some level" and move on.

I should get rid of Twitter, Tinder, dating sites and get out in the real world.

• Like 1

Just this one and another board devoted to horse racing - I lurk more on that one, though. No FB or other social media sites.

One thing about LinkedIn - I've seen it cause some really awkward situations for people. For example, last year our company had a few people get canned - not let go, but fired, as in "your performance sucks, so you're outta here". A couple of them created LinkedIn accounts, and LinkedIn promptly mined their lives and sent invites to just about everyone in the firm that had just told them to get lost.

Yea, I could see how that might get uncomfortable. LinkedIN always asks if it can have access to my email accounts to invite people I already know - Nevah Gonna Happen, Eh!

:no: That might be my biggest annoyance thus far. Followed closely by a couple of opportunistic pick up hopefuls. (also :no: )

Otherwise, the connections have been okay.