Red Barchetta

LedRush

Red Barchetta  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently like, or have you ever like, the song Red Barchetta?

Vote no and you're a communist.

Even the communists love it. I heard that Gorby and Reagan bonded over this song.

Obama played it for Castro and now I can visit Cuba.

• Like 2

Vote no and you're a communist.

Even the communists love it. I heard that Gorby and Reagan bonded over this song.

I don't know about Gorby but most of the Soviet leadership were pulling for the air cars. They REALLY wanted the air cars to catch that guy.

• Like 1

The cautionary part can't be overstated. Is Elon Musk simply a headline-grabbing bag of hygienic scent, or is he on to something that Neil foresaw those many years ago? I've got a serial addiction to old Alfa Romeos (for the most part the only kind you find over here) and if the car police come they won't be able to "pry them out of my cold, dead hands!" (as they say).

Never let government stooges take your classic Mopar away!

;)

• Like 1

The cautionary part can't be overstated. Is Elon Musk simply a headline-grabbing bag of hygienic scent, or is he on to something that Neil foresaw those many years ago? I've got a serial addiction to old Alfa Romeos (for the most part the only kind you find over here) and if the car police come they won't be able to "pry them out of my cold, dead hands!" (as they say).

;)

My Alfas, past and present, pre-date the Fiat takeover, and LONG pre-date any Chrysler association. Not that there's anything wrong with that; my GTV6 has a Hemi after all. :cheers:

Of course I love it, I would find it hard to believe that someone could be a Rush fan and not like Red Barchetta.

I also would consider it the best song from MP other than maybe The Camera Eye.

• Like 2

I agree with many here.... a masterpiece work. Absolutely love it. Musically, lyrically.... everything.

"Well weathered leather,

hot metal and oil

the scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

the blur of the landscape

every nerve aware"

Take a drive in a convertible through the Texas Hill Country in late April and this song will become your earworm.

• Like 5

It's my favorite song on MP.......it's awesome.

Mick

I swear you disliked it not that long ago...

Love the song, even if I really don't know what an "alloy air car" is. :huh: :P

Do you want to know?

https://en.wikipedia...i/Red_Barchetta

In case you weren't joking.

It appears that i've never actually known what this song was about all these years. I just thought it was about some guy who goes to visit his uncle and gets joy from driving his uncle's old car around. Which I guess is the basic plot of the song anyways. I wasn't aware it was inspired by a futuristic story. It doesn't change the love I have for the song though.

"I wasn't aware it was inspired by a futuristic story."

Yes, the futuristic society of 1982 (see "A Nice Morning Drive" by Richard Foster) :P. Really though, it is about a joy ride in an uncle's car, but didn't you ever wonder about the being chased by "alloy air cars" part? Makes up quite a bit of the story. ;)

Edited by Rutlefan

Yes, the futuristic society of 1982 (see "A Nice Morning Drive" by Richard Foster) :P. Really though, it is about a joy ride in an uncle's car, but didn't you ever wonder about the being chased by "alloy air cars" part? Makes up quite a bit of the story. ;)

I don't know shit about cars, so for all I knew an "alloy air car" was the name of a car that existed. The same with "the motor law". I figured he was just referring to some law I wasn't aware of, or since he's Canadian, Neil was referring to some law up there. When I get the basic point of a songs lyrics, which I do with this one, I usually don't go looking into anymore detail about them.

I don't know shit about cars, so for all I knew an "alloy air car" was the name of a car that existed. The same with "the motor law". I figured he was just referring to some law I wasn't aware of, or since he's Canadian, Neil was referring to some law up there.

I just kind of ran the lyrics in my head. Yeah I can see the explanation above making sense. The song is mostly aboot the drive, the connection between man and his simple road machine.

Love Geddy's bass line on this song! It was on the radio when we picked up our new car this summer, lol. Made me feel like everything was aligned in the universe :)
  • Like 2

;)

My Alfas, past and present, pre-date the Fiat takeover, and LONG pre-date any Chrysler association. Not that there's anything wrong with that; my GTV6 has a Hemi after all. :cheers:

Excellent! Some form of four cylinder or straight six with a hemispherical head?

Most of us Mopar types are embracing our new Italian "brothers" as opposed to our former German "overlords". ;)

Edit for a "duh" moment. The answer lies in "GTV6"...

Edited by JohnRogers

I don't know shit about cars, so for all I knew an "alloy air car" was the name of a car that existed. The same with "the motor law". I figured he was just referring to some law I wasn't aware of, or since he's Canadian, Neil was referring to some law up there. When I get the basic point of a songs lyrics, which I do with this one, I usually don't go looking into anymore detail about them.

No worries, I just think it's a little funny that lines like "And on Sundays I elude the eyes and And hop the Turbine Freight. To far outside the Wire where my white-haired uncle waits," or the reference to "a better, vanished time" wouldn't have tipped you off. "Turbine Freight," the "Eyes," the "Wire" just Canadian stuff? You must really think Canada is quite the exotic place. But you like the song and you picked up on the joy ride, it's all good :cheers: .

;)

Excellent! Some form of four cylinder or straight six with a hemispherical head?

Most of us Mopar types are embracing our new Italian "brothers" as opposed to our former German "overlords". ;)

Edit for a "duh" moment. The answer lies in "GTV6"...

"...or straight six with a hemispherical head?" Rather, one of the sweetest V6s ever put in a car. And yes, with hemispherical heads. Re Chrysler/Fiat, it's been a really good match. Fiat/GM didn't work.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_V6_engine ... In August 2011 EVO magazine wrote that 'the original Alfa Romeo V6 was the most-glorius sounding six cylinder road engine ever' and the british Classic & Sports Car magazine noted it as "The best sounding engine, this side of a Maserati V8".

• Like 1