Kansas: Miracles Out of Nowhere DVD

Jaminbenb

I figure that a lot of you are probably Kansas fans....Great lyrics, lot's of cool hooks in the songs.... I got into them not long after I got into Rush (like a year later) a friend of mine who saw them open for Queen was playing Point of Know Return in his car and I was hooked!

Just got this in the mail and watched it last night.... Great early view of the band from beginning until Point of Know Return, but left me a little disappointed because it ONLY went up to POKR and didn't go further... I'd like to see more of what they did AFTER that happened, and why they had their problem years etc. Then what it took to get them back (and to now where they are just a skeleton of the band)

But what is THERE is great! So if you get a chance to see it I say do it!

Kansas seventies run of albums is the best thing ever! Easily surpasses Rush for me...and rivalled by Styx (although Cornerstone is a skank).

Might watch the DVD, but I am a bit annoyed it doesn't cover the more turbulent era of the band (post-Audio-Visions especially).

Might watch the DVD, but I am a bit annoyed it doesn't cover the more turbulent era of the band (post-Audio-Visions especially).

Don't get me wrong..the DVD is great, as is the "bonus" disc which has some of the interviews with the guys....but I'd really be interested in seeing the years that Walsh left, and Elefante took over, then when Walsh came back and they kept things going. There's a lot more to their story!

Are there even any book bio's out there? I don't recall ever reading one.

• Like 1

Kansas seventies run of albums is the best thing ever! Easily surpasses Rush for me...and rivalled by Styx (although Cornerstone is a skank).

Point of Know Return is one of my top 20 albums of all time...That's just one I can listen to at any point, and not get tired of it. No slouches on that one!

• Like 1

Point of Know Return is one of my top 20 albums of all time...That's just one I can listen to at any point, and not get tired of it. No slouches on that one!

Kansas- 8/10

Song For America- 8/10

Masque- 9/10

Leftoverture- 9.5/10

Point Of Know Return- 10/10

Monolith 8/10

Rush- 4/10

Fly By Night- 3/10

Caress Of Steel- 8/10

2112- 8/10

A Farewell To Kings- 10/10

Hemispheres- 6/10

Styx- 9/10

Styx II- 9/10

The Serpent Is Rising- 7/10

Man Of Miracles- 7/10

Equinox- 7/10

Crystal Ball- 7/10

The Grand Illusion- 9/10

Pieces Of Eight- 10//10

Cornerstone- 5/10

Yeah, of my three favourite seventies bands, Kansas is definitely in the lead (based solely on that era). Styx second, Rush last.

Ranking the 10/10's:

1. Point Of Know Return

2. A Farewell To Kings

3. Pieces Of Eight

I have to pick this up.

70's Kansas was EPIC.

as is audio Visions.

But when they fell boy did they make a THUD.

Mick

It hurt my ancestors...so very painful...

• Like 1

I have to pick this up.

70's Kansas was EPIC.

as is audio Visions.

Mick

What happened?

Its best you don't know...

• Like 1

I have to pick this up.

70's Kansas was EPIC.

as is audio Visions.

Mick

What happened?

Ok,

I respect that.

I have to pick this up.

70's Kansas was EPIC.

as is audio Visions.

Mick

What happened?

Ok,

I respect that.

Basically (telling ya coz it saves you time) they went downhill, and made some frankly quite terrible AOR.

Kansas- 8/10

Song For America- 8/10

Masque- 9/10

Leftoverture- 9.5/10

Monolith 8/10

Rush- 4/10

Fly By Night- 3/10

Caress Of Steel- 8/10

2112- 8/10

Hemispheres- 6/10

Styx- 9/10

Styx II- 9/10

Man Of Miracles- 7/10

Equinox- 7/10

Crystal Ball- 7/10

The Grand Illusion- 9/10

Pieces Of Eight- 10//10

Cornerstone- 5/10

Yeah, of my three favourite seventies bands, Kansas is definitely in the lead (based solely on that era). Styx second, Rush last.

Ranking the 10/10's:

1. Point Of Know Return

2. A Farewell To Kings

3. Pieces Of Eight

Queen started my 70's evolution into rock...my brother got A Night at the Opera as a gift, and I used to steal it because it had some cool sounds...then I got into ELP, ELO, within the same time frame with Rush (actually my MOM got me into ELO, she thought it was an ELP album I didn't have and bought it for me for my birthday....little did she know! hahaha!), then Kansas about 6 months to a year later!

But once I got hardcore into Rush, there was no stopping me...Kansas was a natural progression, and during that time, I probably listened to both bands equally (I had Archives and Point of Know Return on 8-track!)

I even told my wife that I want Dust in the Wind played at my funeral! (or when they pour out my ashes...her choice!)

Kansas- 8/10

Song For America- 8/10

Masque- 9/10

Leftoverture- 9.5/10

Monolith 8/10

Rush- 4/10

Fly By Night- 3/10

Caress Of Steel- 8/10

2112- 8/10

Hemispheres- 6/10

Styx- 9/10

Styx II- 9/10

Man Of Miracles- 7/10

Equinox- 7/10

Crystal Ball- 7/10

The Grand Illusion- 9/10

Pieces Of Eight- 10//10

Cornerstone- 5/10

Ranking the 10/10's:

1. Point Of Know Return

2. A Farewell To Kings

3. Pieces Of Eight

Queen started my 70's evolution into rock...my brother got A Night at the Opera as a gift, and I used to steal it because it had some cool sounds...then I got into ELP, ELO, within the same time frame with Rush (actually my MOM got me into ELO, she thought it was an ELP album I didn't have and bought it for me for my birthday....little did she know! hahaha!), then Kansas about 6 months to a year later!

But once I got hardcore into Rush, there was no stopping me...Kansas was a natural progression, and during that time, I probably listened to both bands equally (I had Archives and Point of Know Return on 8-track!)

I even told my wife that I want Dust in the Wind played at my funeral! (or when they pour out my ashes...her choice!)

I do not like Queen...it is ok...you can slap me!

Meh...they're not for everyone... I like SOME Queen...mostly the stuff prior to A Night at the Opera...but I can take of leave some of the stuff that came afterwards....

I'm not really a Styx fan, I like Pieces of Eight, and Grand Illusion, but not much else. (I can handle "greatest hits" that's about it)

I see you like Springsteen, there's one I think that everything sounds the same! (and I DID get slapped saying that to someone once!)

• Like 1

Meh...they're not for everyone... I like SOME Queen...mostly the stuff prior to A Night at the Opera...but I can take of leave some of the stuff that came afterwards....

I'm not really a Styx fan, I like Pieces of Eight, and Grand Illusion, but not much else. (I can handle "greatest hits" that's about it)

I see you like Springsteen, there's one I think that everything sounds the same! (and I DID get slapped saying that to someone once!)

I don't like Springsteen.

I LOVE HIM!

• Like 1

The documentary is very good.

And sad, not that the music industry was perfect then, but at least a band with that type of talent can come from nowhere and be given time to perfect their craft and make it without having some reality show bullshit or f***ing Disney behind it.

• Like 3

Decided to revisit Kansas after watching Miracles. Got into them in HS when Power (which I still like) came out, but havent since.

Always knew about Left and POKR, and really think Monolith is great/underrated. But just checked out AudioVisions and really liking it -- good top to bottom.

You guys have any other specific album recs?

Edited by greg2112
  • Like 1

The first batch up through Monolith are all good IMHO.. (and yeah, each one has a sleeper of two except PoKR as far as I'm concerned) Audio Visions has SOME moments, but....

I think once the band started weaving in and out of it, the whole thing started to get weak...then when Kerry left, it started to get questionable.

But all of the albums are listenable....

• Like 1

Yeah, I tried to listen to the post AV stuff, but seems like a real drop... and i *really* cant get into Elefante. I do have a soft spot for Power, though.

it is a drop off 3 high high cliffs and then some, lol

I heard Post Audio Visions i was like...... WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!!!!???

Lol

Mick