Proposed NFL rule changes

laughedatbytime

Some seem good, 12, 18 and 21 especially, and 20 is just common sense, but WTF is up with #15. #14 sucks too, there doesn't have to be any drama with the f***Ing extra point. #5 is overkill. Not sure about #17. I think this would be enough to make the winner of the coin flip kick instead of receive.

Wonder who put forward suggestion #23.

And if the stadium roof can be opened up during halftime, why can't it be open during the game? F*** retractable roofs anyway...

Rule, Bylaw, Resolution Changes To Be Discussed At Owners Meetings

RULE PROPOSALS

1. Allow a coach to challenge any officials' decision except scoring plays and turnovers.

2. Subject all fouls to review

3. Subject personal foul penalties to Instant Replay review pursuant to a coach's challenge

4. Subject personal foul penalties to instant replay review.

5. Subject to instant replay review any penalty that results in an automatic first down.

6. A foul against a defenseless receiver may be enforced when a reversal results in an incomplete pass.

7. Reviewable plays will include fouls against defenseless players, and an unsuccessful challenge will not cost a team a timeout.

8. Eliminate the requirement that a team be successful on each of its first two Instant Reply challenges in order to be awarded a third challenge.

9. Expand plays for which reviews will be initiated by the Replay Official to include those that would result in a score or change of possession if the on-field ruling is reversed.

10. Add review of game clock on the final play of a half or overtime to Instant Replay system.

11. Add review of play clock to the Instant Replay system.

12. Put fixed cameras on all boundary lines.

13. Stadium-produced video may be used for an Instant Replay review.

14. Move the line of scrimmage for Try Kicks to the defensive team's 15-yard line.

15. Add a bonus field goal for one additional point after a successful two-point attempt.

16. Prohibit Team B players from pushing teammates on the line of scrimmage into the offensive formation when Team A presents a punt formation.

17. Both teams will have a possession in overtime.

18. Extend the prohibition for an illegal "peel back" block to all offensive players.

19. Give the intended receiver of a pass defenseless player protection in the immediate continuing action following an interception.

20. Allow for the enforcement of an Unsportsmanlike Conduct foul at the end of a half to be applied to the ensuing kickoff.

21. Make it illegal for a back to chop a defensive player engaged above the waist by another offensive player outside the area originally occupied by the tight end.

22. Permit clubs to assign additional jersey numbers to linebackers. Adds 40-49 as eligible numbers for linebackers, in addition to 50-59 and 90-99.

23. Makes it illegal for an offensive player with an eligible number to report as ineligible and line up outside the core of the formation.

BYLAW PROPOSALS

1. Eliminate the cutdown to 75 players on the Active List.

2. Prohibit timing and on-field testing at a club's facility of any players who attended the League-wide Combine.

3. Permit clubs to designate after 4 p.m. ET, on the day after the final roster reduction, the one player eligible to return to their Active List from Reserve/Injured.

4. Change the date for the beginning of the window during which players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform may begin practice.

RESOLUTION

1. Allow teams with retractable roofs to open them during halftime shows.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12507975/significant-replay-rules-changes-proposed-owners-meetings-next-week?ex_cid=espnFB

• Like 1

#15 is kinda cool. Hey a two point conversion is no gimme, unless your Seattle playing GB.

#15 sucks! That would mean a team could score 9 points on 1 possession.... Scoring is high enough already with all the protecting the QB and WR rules.
  • Like 3

#15 is kinda cool. Hey a two point conversion is no gimme, unless your Seattle playing GB.

#15 sucks! That would mean a team could score 9 points on 1 possession.... Scoring is high enough already with all the protecting the QB and WR rules.

Hey I wasn't serious spanky.

Of course, now I see the reason for your answer.

Sorry Coach Cheesehead. You gotta admit though...it was epic how they let it go. Still seeing the ball bounce off the face mask.

What if you don't have a Seattle playing GB? Those things are expensive, you know...

I can get behind #15 with one caveat....

If a team makes this additional point, a random fan of said team is selected in the stadium to come down on the field and give Goodell a swift kick in the groin.

Of course, this means the opposing teams (well, every team except for New England) won't even bother to send a defense against the kick...

Leave the f***ing rule alone, you don't need drama for the f***ing extra point.

Herm Edwards is an idiot by the way. Not that we needed this article to know that.

• Like 1

Leave the f***ing rule alone, you don't need drama for the f***ing extra point.

Herm Edwards is an idiot by the way. Not that we needed this article to know that.

Word today is that Indy withdrew their crazy three point play idea, but there is growing support to move the 2 point conversion line of scrimmage up to the 1.5 yard line and the PAT line to the 15 yard line.

To quote the "great" Herm Edwards.... "You play to win the game!... Unless, of course, you can't win the game because the other team scored two 3 pointers after 3 touchdowns and you went for the PAT both times after 2 touchdowns.... meaning your game winning touchdown drive is useless unless Indy brings back their idea about the 3 point play... and adds a couple other points."

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

Yesterday I had a long drive for work, so I got to listen to a fair amount of sports talk radio. Someone suggested that if the PAT is to be changed how about making a touchdown 7 points, you can try to run or pass it in for an additional point, but if you fail the touchdown would be worth 6 instead of 7? Edited by Rick N. Backer

Yesterday I had a long drive for work, so I got to listen to a fair amount of sports talk radio. Someone suggested that if the PAT is to be changed how about making a touchdown 7 points, you can try to run or pass it in for an additional point, but if you fail the touchdown would be worth 6 instead of 7?

Meh....I don't like that idea.

I do see the logic and fairness in allowing the defense to return a blocked extra point or failed two-point attempt.

If the extra point is blocked and returned all the way, it's 1 point for the defense.

If the 2-point attempt is fumbled away or intercepted, and returned all the way, it's 2 points for the defense.

It seems quite fair that when the offense is trying to score points, the defense should have the same opportunity.

Yesterday I had a long drive for work, so I got to listen to a fair amount of sports talk radio. Someone suggested that if the PAT is to be changed how about making a touchdown 7 points, you can try to run or pass it in for an additional point, but if you fail the touchdown would be worth 6 instead of 7?

I think it's a feasible change, and I don't dislike it at all.

Anyone think taking away the PAT will affect the kickers accuracy on FGs at all? Less practice? Likely not, seeing there are plenty of games that are FG contests... and you really don't have to be very accurate for a PAT to go thru

• Like 1

Extra points were at 99.4% last year

1227 out of 1235 were made.

It is the most automatic useless play in the NFL

Make it interesting.

Make it interesting.

Have the kicker kick from the 20 (making it a 30-yard extra point), and it will become more interesting.

Make it interesting.

Why? Why not eliminate it altogether?

Who the f*** says, you know I'd watch the games if the extra point was just a little more interesting?

Make it interesting.

Who the f*** says, you know I'd watch the games if the extra point was just a little more interesting?

On a similar note, the NFL is banning the kneel-down play at the end of games, specifically because they're boring. When the team with the lead has the ball with under 2 minutes left to play, and they have enough time-outs, the referees are to call the gave OVER.

• Like 1

Make it interesting.

On a similar note, the NFL is banning the kneel-down play at the end of games, specifically because they're boring. When the team with the lead has the ball with under 2 minutes left to play, and they have enough time-outs, the referees are to call the gave OVER.

Enough timeouts? You mean the other team doesn't have enough to stop it? ...or am I missing something obvious here?

Make it interesting.

Enough timeouts? You mean the other team doesn't have enough to stop it? ...or am I missing something obvious here?

Damnit......I screwed up my joke..... :doh: :doh: Let me fix it.....

On a similar note, the NFL is banning the kneel-down play at the end of games, specifically because they're boring. When the team with the lead has the ball with under 2 minutes left to play, and the losing team has no time-outs, the referees are to call the gave OVER.

:P :P :P

• Like 2

In two years we'll still be discovering elements of the idiocy that is the new extra point rule.

A little-noticed aspect of the NFL’s new extra point rule is that we could see, for the first time in league history, a one-point safety.

If the defense gets the ball in the field of play on a conversion attemp, and then a defensive player takes the ball into his own end zone and is tackled, the result will be a one-point safety: The offensive team will get one point. That has never happened before in NFL history.

It had never happened before because it was virtually impossible: In the past, any time the defense took possession of the ball on a point-after attempt (either a one-point kick or a two-point conversion), the play was blown dead. A one-point safety was theoretically possible before, but it would have happened only if the defensive team had illegally batted a fumbled ball in the end zone.

One-point safeties have happened in college football, most notably in the 2013 Fiesta Bowl, when Kansas State blocked an Oregon extra point and a Kansas State player picked up the ball and ran it into his own end zone. The college rule that gives the defense the opportunity to score two points by returning an interception, fumble or blocked kick to the opposite end zone means that defensive teams that take possession of the ball will try to run it back for a score, and sometimes those players end up getting tackled after backtracking into their own end zones.

With that rule now in place in the NFL, it will happen in the NFL eventually as well: Some defensive player is going to reverse field, get caught in his own end zone, and give up the first one-point safety in NFL history.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/22/nfl-may-see-its-first-one-point-safety/?utm_network=facebook&utm_post=3721823&utm_source=FB%20-%20SNF%20on%20NBC&utm_tags=srm%5Bfootball%2Carticle%5D