New Alex Lifeson PRS Acoustic Thinline series

The Analog Cub

:blink: ... <----- No. Just kidding. I like the look. It's much the look that I sport, exception he is handsome and pretends he still has hair up top... :| Edited by Narpsberg

Looks great, and especially for $799. Awesome that it's an SE rather than a top of the line US model. Much more accessible, price-wise. Edited by EagleMoon

First off this must be an older pic because my buddy was eating at a restaurant in downtown Toronto last week and got a photo with him. Alex has put on the pounds or atleast looks a lot heavier in the pic I have...... Also they have a limited edition acoustic for 9K I believe.. Edited by elvtnedge

First off this must be an older pic because my buddy was eating at a restaurant in downtown Toronto last week and got a photo with him. Alex has put on the pounds or atleast looks a lot heavier in the pic I have...... Also they have a limited edition acoustic for 9K I believe..

They do have the Private Stock version which sells for $9000. This is an SE, which is the cheaper line.

Pre-ordered mine.

I own The Gibosn Custom Shop Artist Series Lifeson 355 (in my avatar pic and the best guitar I have ever owned and played) as well as the Lifeson Custom Shop Les Paul (amazing guitar as well). I have a white 1235 on order as well. I love playing my Gibsons. The PRS Acoustic will be cool. I own an amzing Ibanez (since 1991) that has been my go to acoustic for 25 plus years now and like the new PRS Lifeson it is a smaller more compact acoustic with a thick rich sound. But I love the look and sound of this SE thin line guitar and the price is too good not to grab one.

I also play PRS's electrics with a Black Cherry body Rosewood fretboard CE 24 like Alex plays (but his is black). And I have a couple of the rare PRS EG-4's (built in 91-92 as well) bolt on's which are really cool and sound great.

Actually hitting Vegas with my bandmates (over 20 years writing and playing together) for R40 and we still get together and jam every couple of months after all these years.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

Pre-ordered mine.

I own The Gibosn Custom Shop Artist Series Lifeson 355 (in my avatar pic and the best guitar I have ever owned and played) as well as the Lifeson Custom Shop Les Paul (amazing guitar as well). I have a white 1235 on order as well. I love playing my Gibsons. The PRS Acoustic will be cool. I own an amzing Ibanez (since 1991) that has been my go to acoustic for 25 plus years now and like the new PRS Lifeson it is a smaller more compact acoustic with a thick rich sound. But I love the look and sound of this SE thin line guitar and the price is too good not to grab one.

I also play PRS's electrics with a Black Cherry body Rosewood fretboard CE 24 like Alex plays (but his is black). And I have a couple of the rare PRS EG-4's (built in 91-92 as well) bolt on's which are really cool and sound great.

Actually hitting Vegas with my bandmates (over 20 years writing and playing together) for R40 and we still get together and jam every couple of months after all these years.

Very cool indeed. I own the 355 and the LP as well. Better save your pennies for what's coming shortly........

Pre-ordered mine.

Very cool indeed. I own the 355 and the LP as well. Better save your pennies for what's coming shortly........

Save for what? Do tell Kevin.....

Sorry but $9k for any acoustic is crazy except maybe for a pre 1940's Martin. What song did Alex record with one of these? I am sure it's nice and all but at least with the Gibsons they were used on records and/or live before they were sold as signature models. No matter how many PRS guitars he is associated with he is known for the 355 and the EDS-1275 more than any others, followed by the Hentor strats. Freddy's Hentors are much more reasonable. This to me seems like a cash grab because people will buy them. Hey if somebody has a sh!tload of cash who am I to say how one spends their own money? But I can think of better things to spend 9 grand on. :)

Sorry but $9k for any acoustic is crazy except maybe for a pre 1940's Martin. What song did Alex record with one of these? I am sure it's nice and all but at least with the Gibsons they were used on records and/or live before they were sold as signature models. No matter how many PRS guitars he is associated with he is known for the 355 and the EDS-1275 more than any others, followed by the Hentor strats. Freddy's Hentors are much more reasonable. This to me seems like a cash grab because people will buy them. Hey if somebody has a sh!tload of cash who am I to say how one spends their own money? But I can think of better things to spend 9 grand on. :)

I'm assuming you didn't read the description about the guitar?

How does reading the description of a guitar make it somehow worth $9000? It doesn't. Do you think Alex paid a penny for the many that they made for him before being "approved" for his signature? No guitar made this century is worth that kind of money. Period. This is marketing plain and simple. Granted they are also using extremely rare woods which in itself is a travesty. There is one without his name on it going for $15k but that is even more ludicrous. There is a reason those woods are rare. Because we have seriously exhausted the limited growth of the rosewood trees in that specific region of Brazil.

Care to buy a blood diamond as well? :P

How does reading the description of a guitar make it somehow worth $9000? It doesn't. Do you think Alex paid a penny for the many that they made for him before being "approved" for his signature? No guitar made this century is worth that kind of money. Period. This is marketing plain and simple. Granted they are also using extremely rare woods which in itself is a travesty. There is one without his name on it going for $15k but that is even more ludicrous. There is a reason those woods are rare. Because we have seriously exhausted the limited growth of the rosewood trees in that specific region of Brazil.

Care to buy a blood diamond as well? :P

I wasn't referring to the price, but you asked what songs he recorded on one of these. They can ask whatever they want to for it, doesn't mean someone has to buy it. At least they've come out with the SE model. That's pretty affordable. The ES355 signature model that Gibson made was way expensive which is one reason they discontinued it. Also the Axcess Les Paul, which has been plagued with manufacturer defects is still on the market but it's a much more versatile guitar in many ways.

The 355 was a limited run of only 300 guitars. It was not discontinued. Alex contributed to the design of the Axcess. Neither guitar approached $9k. There were a handful of issues with the piezo on some guitars. New Gibsons from the custom shop are pretty bad. I do not generally advocate buyng signature models except Les Pauls which are a signature model already by a guy who genuinely impacted the use of solid body electric guitars. I do have a Geddy J, but I got that for a stupid deal because of someone I know. It was less than $500. I play my other J more.

Furthermore there is nothing in the description about songs he's recorded with it because it's come out since the last album was released. The only thing "Alex Lifeson" about this piece is it was made for him by PRS. Still doesn't warrant a $9000 pricetag.

The 355 was a limited run of only 300 guitars. It was not discontinued. Alex contributed to the design of the Axcess. Neither guitar approached $9k. There were a handful of issues with the piezo on some guitars. New Gibsons from the custom shop are pretty bad. I do not generally advocate buyng signature models except Les Pauls which are a signature model already by a guy who genuinely impacted the use of solid body electric guitars. I do have a Geddy J, but I got that for a stupid deal because of someone I know. It was less than $500. I play my other J more.

Furthermore there is nothing in the description about songs he's recorded with it because it's come out since the last album was released. The only thing "Alex Lifeson" about this piece is it was made for him by PRS. Still doesn't warrant a $9000 pricetag.

It's PRS. That's enough of a reason.

Again no guitar made this century is worth that kind of money. PRS took ideas from Gibson and Fender to make his guitars and admits as much (most guitar makers have; there are 4 innovative guitar manufacturers: Martin, Rickenbacker, Gibson and Fender all of whom did something that have managed to be copied ever since). PRS are ok guitars but not worth what they charge for them. They can charge whatever they want but a fool and his money are soon parted. If somebody wants to spend good money on a unique piece then find a good luthier and have something made for you instead of playing a guitar because someone you admire's name is on it. That makes little sense to me. There are plenty of small boutique luthiers who hand craft fine instruments that are completely unique. Why not buy one of those? Because Alex Lifeson's name isn't on it? Why buy this thing because it does? No sense either way. There are better ways to spend $9000.

Again no guitar made this century is worth that kind of money. PRS took ideas from Gibson and Fender to make his guitars and admits as much (most guitar makers have; there are 4 innovative guitar manufacturers: Martin, Rickenbacker, Gibson and Fender all of whom did something that have managed to be copied ever since). PRS are ok guitars but not worth what they charge for them. They can charge whatever they want but a fool and his money are soon parted. If somebody wants to spend good money on a unique piece then find a good luthier and have something made for you instead of playing a guitar because someone you admire's name is on it. That makes little sense to me. There are plenty of small boutique luthiers who hand craft fine instruments that are completely unique. Why not buy one of those? Because Alex Lifeson's name isn't on it? Why buy this thing because it does? No sense either way. There are better ways to spend $9000.

And of course no one is holding a gun to your head and making you buy it either. :)

Right but I cannot defend this type of purchase nor be enthused by it. This is a marketing play catering to "collectors" but not collectors of guitars but rather Rush themed memorabilia collectors because people will spend this kind of money.

Rush are cashing in because they are about to hang up their spikes. They just (under) sold their catalog to another publishing company for $25 million which means Danniels thought they could get more selling the catalog now than they would earn over the next few decades. This is a retirement plan move. I imagine we will see more Rush songs in ads and media as a result so the new owners can capitalize on their new investment.

Right but I cannot defend this type of purchase nor be enthused by it. This is a marketing play catering to "collectors" but not collectors of guitars but rather Rush themed memorabilia collectors because people will spend this kind of money.

Rush are cashing in because they are about to hang up their spikes. They just (under) sold their catalog to another publishing company for $25 million which means Danniels thought they could get more selling the catalog now than they would earn over the next few decades. This is a retirement plan move. I imagine we will see more Rush songs in ads and media as a result so the new owners can capitalize on their new investment.

Yeah but I bet they sell quite a few of the SE models. PRS SE's are great guitars. I don't see anything wrong with them trying to make money. The band is a business after all.

The SE's are equvalent to Epiphone. Ok for the money but nowhere near the American models and regular PRS are just ok. They are like Taylors in that respect, more looks, less tone. They look nice but buying a guitar for how it looks doesn't make anyone a better guitar player. Les Paul once told me (referring to fancy Les Paul models) "That sh!t doesn't make you play any better..."

Geddy bought his famous J in a pawn shop for around $200. Now they sell replicas for a grand. No sense when you can buy a decent J for less than half that. Squier even (which can be nicer than Standard Fenders, Epiphones or the like). Andy Summers' famous Tele was another used guitar shop buy.

The band making money is not the point. Selling a guitar like this is only about making money. You spend that kind of money on a guitar to display it, not play it. For pro guitar players their instruments are tools used as a means to an end. This guitar is not that. Spending thousands of dollars on a guitar is a waste of money if there is no return on the investment. These guitars will not retain the same kind of value as more collectable guitars and that is my point. Instruments are either players of collectors and this will be neither in the long term.

The SE's are equvalent to Epiphone. Ok for the money but nowhere near the American models and regular PRS are just ok. They are like Taylors in that respect, more looks, less tone. They look nice but buying a guitar for how it looks doesn't make anyone a better guitar player. Les Paul once told me (referring to fancy Les Paul models) "That sh!t doesn't make you play any better..."

Geddy bought his famous J in a pawn shop for around $200. Now they sell replicas for a grand. No sense when you can buy a decent J for less than half that. Squier even (which can be nicer than Standard Fenders, Epiphones or the like). Andy Summers' famous Tele was another used guitar shop buy.

The band making money is not the point. Selling a guitar like this is only about making money. You spend that kind of money on a guitar to display it, not play it. For pro guitar players their instruments are tools used as a means to an end. This guitar is not that. Spending thousands of dollars on a guitar is a waste of money if there is no return on the investment. These guitars will not retain the same kind of value as more collectable guitars and that is my point. Instruments are either players of collectors and this will be neither in the long term.

Well you have your opinions and I have mine and they aren't the same. I'm not going to argue with you. PRS is the one that is setting the price for this. We don't know if Alex gets anything from the sale of these guitars but somehow I doubt it. That's not generally how PRS handles their sig. models. But I don't really care what they price their guitars at. I generally try to get my guitars and basses used, that way you don't have to eat the depreciation.

I don't think that original acoustic PRS is worth the $9K price, but the SE looks reasonable. And, yes, the Alex signature model is a little more expensive than the similar not sig. But, the other point about a recording: only the next live album(s) have a chance for this. The guitar was designed for the stage, not the studio, at Alex's request. So, whether they had (or do) release anything from the studio, you can count on that PRS never being used there.
  • Like 1

I'm not going to argue with you... We don't know if Alex gets anything from the sale of these guitars but somehow I doubt it....

Yet you continue to post responses counter to what I am saying. That seems argumentative to me. If you don't wish to argue then please stop.

Do you not know how endorsement deals work? They cannot put his name on it nor use his likeness to sell them without paying him. They probably gave him guitars and cash based upon how many guitars will be made (limited run/custom order) to use his name to sell guitars. He is an endorsement whore and has been for decades. I have an old Carvin catalog from the 80s with a picture of him with an amp at their factory that they probably gave him so they could take his picture to claim he used it. The same year he did a magazine ad for Dean Markley amps which he was actually using on tour. It's a racket. Now he puts his name on all kinds of stuff then moves on to another company. It's marketing and a way for musicians to get free gear and extra money.

Buying gear is for consumers so those of us without endorsements need to be wary of what we are paying for. Paying $9000 for a guitar is not a smart purchase and only benefits the seller. You can rest assured that Alex gets a percentage of every one of these sold.

Another reason this is a risky buy is PRS is known for electric guitars not acoustics. Even if it is nice the ultimate value will not be retained because of market place perception. Who cares if the SE models sell? They will not have the same level of craftsmanship as the American made models. You don't make a guitar to sell for several thousands of dollars to sell cheaper knockoff versions.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

I'm not going to argue with you... We don't know if Alex gets anything from the sale of these guitars but somehow I doubt it....

Yet you continue to post responses counter to what I am saying. That seems argumentative to me. If you don't wish to argue then please stop.

Do you not know how endorsement deals work? They cannot put his name on it nor use his likeness to sell them without paying him. They probably gave him guitars and cash based upon how many guitars will be made (limited run/custom order) to use his name to sell guitars. He is an endorsement whore and has been for decades. I have an old Carvin catalog from the 80s with a picture of him with an amp at their factory that they probably gave him so they could take his picture to claim he used it. The same year he did a magazine ad for Dean Markley amps which he was actually using on tour. It's a racket. Now he puts his name on all kinds of stuff then moves on to another company. It's marketing and a way for musicians to get free gear and extra money.

Buying gear is for consumers so those of us without endorsements need to be wary of what we are paying for. Paying $9000 for a guitar is not a smart purchase and only benefits the seller. You can rest assured that Alex gets a percentage of every one of these sold.

Another reason this is a risky buy is PRS is known for electric guitars not acoustics. Even if it is nice the ultimate value will not be retained because of market place perception. Who cares if the SE models sell? They will not have the same level of craftsmanship as the American made models. You don't make a guitar to sell for several thousands of dollars to sell cheaper knockoff versions.

And yet you continue to post negative comments. Youre not as smart and knowledgeable as you think you are.