Nobody's Hero vs. The Pass vs. Middletown Dreams

fraroc

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which song do you like better?

• Nobody's Hero from Counterparts
    • The Pass from Presto
    • Middletown Dreams from Power Windows

I just listened to a couple of versions of Middletown Dreams. If I could get the music from Clockwork Angels with the singing of PoW, I'd rate the song much higher.

The CA version of Middletown is really f***ing good, and I've said before that the CA version of Red Sector A is the best version of that song. You know, people can whine about the "yodeling" but you can tell that Ged is singing RSA with a ton of emotion in his voice.

He just oversings so much on recent releases, especially on slower songs that could really benefit from a softer touch that he just doesn't seem to have now. He had the same problems on The Camera Eye, Presto, Time Stand Still and others.

I hate when I don't know the acronyms!

I'm starting to warm up to Nobody's Hero, going from despising it immensely to enjoying the music. But only live versions. I still dislike the album version, and I feel like the lyrics suck, even if the sentiment is pure.

Middletown Dreams is special to me. I enjoy the music and the lyrics.

But The Pass is on a completely different level to me. I start welling up within the first verse and flat-out sobbing by the time the chorus comes up. I don't exactly know why it affects me so strongly because I've never been particularly emotionally invested in similar songs about suicide, but I'll take a few guesses. I feel like it's talking directly to me, and what's being said is what I wish my parents or friends had told me when I'd tried reaching out for help. I've had to deal with being a depressed and suicidal high schooler mostly on my own. I love The Pass because it gives me comfort.

• Like 1

Middletown Dreams. The Pass is brilliant too - really moving video as well.

Nobody's Hero could've been fixed if they simply moved the first verse another section. The way Geddy sings "sexuality" is a bit awkward. It's goofy. Would've worked better somewhere else in the song.

Of all the horrible lyrical and musical decisions on Counterparts, I don't understand the hate for Nobody's Hero. I think it all comes down to the use of the word "sexuality", which is 5 syllables and made people feel uncomfortable.

No it's not......it's the fact that the worthy sentiment behind the lyrics is expressed in such a ham-handed emotionally retarded way....it's as if a teenager with Aspergers was writing it....truly horrific.

The Pass is good musically, but let down a bit by the over earnestness of the lyrics (though they are nowhere near as bad as NH)

Middletown Dreams is a masterpiece...just the right bittersweet mixture of hope and pathos to convey exactly what Peart is thinking here..the music marries up very well with the lyrics too, with dreamy, sometimes bleak keyboards contrasting with emotive crescendos...sublime.

• Like 1

Nobody' Hero is (IMO) a good song that, esp. at the time, was somewhat risky. To be obviously singing about hanging out with somebody who was gay was a bit of a stretch - in those days. At least where I grew up and hung out it was.

The Pass & Middletown Dreams are very, very good songs & enjoy both a great deal. I always find Middletown Dreams to be a very sad and depressing song - although I know Neil wrote the lyrics in what he considered to be an uplifting and encouraging manner. They just strike me as sad, lonely and depressing. I believe Neil wrote the song intending to speak of the greatness of humanities potential and of ordinary people striking out on there own to fulfill their potential. I find it to be a song that speaks of lost and wasted potential - at least thats how it comes across to me. Still I enjoy it a great deal.

Can't vote in this one. Its basically a tie between The Pass and Middletown Dream with Nobody's Hero well back.

These polls always end up the same.

I like <fill in the blank>.

Flame, Flame, Flame, you're an idiot, flame, flame, flame.

I'll refrain from drawing a bullseye on my forehead, but thanks for the offer.

?

I can't see any examples of anyone being personally attacked in this thread, just frank ad open exchanges of opinions.

• Like 1

I can't see any examples of anyone being personally attacked in this thread, just frank ad open exchanges of opinions.

A self fulfilling prophecy??

• Like 1

I cannot tell you how much I loath Middletown Dreams. The phrase 'Dreams flow across the heartland' is one of the most contrived pieces of drivel Neil ever came up with. Nails on a chalkboard to me, that line is. Just a stupid song.

Ironically (to some probably), I love Nobody's Hero almost as much as I hate Middletown Dreams. I think it's a beautiful song, love the lyrics and the acoustic guitar.

I have no opinions on The Pass. It's one of those neutral territory songs that i neither love nor hate.

Oh...OH! And to top off the craptastic time that is Middletown Dreams they follow it on the album with Emotion Detector...When we lift the covers from our feelings.

It's a 1,2 punch of Bleh.

• Like 1

Oh...OH! And to top off the craptastic time that is Middletown Dreams they follow it on the album with Emotion Detector...When we lift the covers from our feelings.

Ive always loved both of them so what do I know.

• Like 1

Ive always loved both of them so what do I know.

Well, taste being subjective and all, no one said you had to agree with me. ;)

Ironically (to some probably), I love Nobody's Hero almost as much as I hate Middletown Dreams.

:yes: Especially since you reference lyrics, and Nobody's Hero has one of Neil's clunkiest first lines ever. Like you say, taste is subjective.

Love your avatar. :)