Nobody's Hero vs. The Pass vs. Middletown Dreams

fraroc

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which song do you like better?

• Nobody's Hero from Counterparts
    • The Pass from Presto
    • Middletown Dreams from Power Windows

I agree that's really cool.

(I deleted things..so we don't keep making the page bigger...)

It was a cool thing because at first no one really knew that he DID that (kind of like sending the albums to the concert venue for the band to sign) But once things started in places like this, and the word got out that he DID that, he had to put a stop to it because he was getting slammed! (it was a Modern Drummer thing...where they advertised that if you sent your favorite drummer a letter in care of them, they'd forward it, but not guarantee you'd get a response...case in point I sent a letter to them for Terry Bozzio, and never heard back, and I had no clue if Neil sent them back either, but wth?!?)

You never know unless you try!

Yep...didn't cost anything, except a stamp! (heck, it didn't even cost that, I probably stole it from my mom!)

Sending my Hemispheres album was a LITTLE more costly (and risky), but I sent it locally (Hershey) and figured that I'd just get it sent back if they weren't forwarding it...

Yeah, I got my AFTK album signed. It was my first Rush album. It was such a thrill to get it back.

• Like 1

I agree that's really cool.

(I deleted things..so we don't keep making the page bigger...)

It was a cool thing because at first no one really knew that he DID that (kind of like sending the albums to the concert venue for the band to sign) But once things started in places like this, and the word got out that he DID that, he had to put a stop to it because he was getting slammed! (it was a Modern Drummer thing...where they advertised that if you sent your favorite drummer a letter in care of them, they'd forward it, but not guarantee you'd get a response...case in point I sent a letter to them for Terry Bozzio, and never heard back, and I had no clue if Neil sent them back either, but wth?!?)

You never know unless you try!

Yep...didn't cost anything, except a stamp! (heck, it didn't even cost that, I probably stole it from my mom!)

Sending my Hemispheres album was a LITTLE more costly (and risky), but I sent it locally (Hershey) and figured that I'd just get it sent back if they weren't forwarding it...

Yeah, I got my AFTK album signed. It was my first Rush album. It was such a thrill to get it back.

I WANTED to send my ATWAS album, which was MY first...that was more at stake to lose...

• Like 2

Of all the horrible lyrical and musical decisions on Counterparts, I don't understand the hate for Nobody's Hero. I think it all comes down to the use of the word "sexuality", which is 5 syllables and made people feel uncomfortable.

Yeah that's a convenient excuse.

Middletown Dreams for me. I kind of consider it a guilty pleasure. Very cool to have heard it on the last tour. Great surprise.

Of all the horrible lyrical and musical decisions on Counterparts, I don't understand the hate for Nobody's Hero. I think it all comes down to the use of the word "sexuality", which is 5 syllables and made people feel uncomfortable.

Yeah that's a convenient excuse.

It doesn't seem that convenient to me.

geddy could literally sing the lyrics "I'm ejaculating!" and I wouldn't get uncomfortable and I especially wouldn't care as long as the music's good. the problem with nobody's hero is that it's just kind of a boring track, imo.

I like all three. The Pass gets my vote.

Middletown is a good song but the adoration it gets from a lot of fans has baffled me for years. Seriously, what's so special about it? It's a solid song to fill out an album, nothing more.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3

geddy could literally sing the lyrics "I'm ejaculating!" and I wouldn't get uncomfortable and I especially wouldn't care as long as the music's good. the problem with nobody's hero is that it's just kind of a boring track, imo.

Isn't that what he sings right at the very end of Vital Signs, as it fades out? Everybody got to ejaculate from the norm . . . :musicnote:

• Like 2

All three are really fantastic, all with great lyrics. The Pass gets my vote on the strength of the guitar solo

I always thought it was weird because in the letter I wrote to him through Modern Drummer I asked a few drum related questions, and some other stuff, then apparently must have spilled my guts on being frustrated that I couldn't get into a decent band and must have blamed it on not being very talented...

Well here's the response....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jaminbenb/NPnote_zpskw3itbe6.jpg

Now I thought it was cool that a. I had his autograph, b. that he actually took the time to write me, but a little bummed that he focused on my frustration rather than my other questions... no biggie, though...

Now imagine getting the next album and seeing a tune called "Middletown Dreams"....(and reading the lyrics about what it was about)

I sent another letter with only drumming related questions, and got this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jaminbenb/NP2_zpsqv4oto1f.jpg

Wow! That is a really rare and cool thing you experienced! I tend to agree with you, Middletown Ben!

• Like 2

I just listened to a couple of versions of Middletown Dreams. If I could get the music from Clockwork Angels with the singing of PoW, I'd rate the song much higher.

I just listened to a couple of versions of Middletown Dreams. If I could get the music from Clockwork Angels with the singing of PoW, I'd rate the song much higher.

The CA version of Middletown is really f***ing good, and I've said before that the CA version of Red Sector A is the best version of that song. You know, people can whine about the "yodeling" but you can tell that Ged is singing RSA with a ton of emotion in his voice.

I always thought it was weird because in the letter I wrote to him through Modern Drummer I asked a few drum related questions, and some other stuff, then apparently must have spilled my guts on being frustrated that I couldn't get into a decent band and must have blamed it on not being very talented...

Well here's the response....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jaminbenb/NPnote_zpskw3itbe6.jpg

Now I thought it was cool that a. I had his autograph, b. that he actually took the time to write me, but a little bummed that he focused on my frustration rather than my other questions... no biggie, though...

Now imagine getting the next album and seeing a tune called "Middletown Dreams"....(and reading the lyrics about what it was about)

I sent another letter with only drumming related questions, and got this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jaminbenb/NP2_zpsqv4oto1f.jpg

Wow! That is a really rare and cool thing you experienced! I tend to agree with you, Middletown Ben!

Well... I was freaked out at first, and really in denial about it...and as I've said to my friends that know about this, Until Neil either thanks me for the inspiration in the liner notes (my one friend at the time really messed with me the night we got the album and said that he DID thank me in the liner notes....) or displays the letter in a documentary about the writing of that album (unlikely) I'll still be in a state of denial about it... But the "circumstantial evidence" is pretty compelling. (and still freaky whenever I hear them play it)

• Like 1

I have to pick Middletown Dreams because I STILL think it's title is the result of a letter I sent Neil way back...(and I DO like the song better than the other two listed)

I blame you for thrusting that song on us. The only way I could blame you more would be if you suggested the use of more synths in your letter or if you mailed him in 1992 suggesting an album based on relationships.

Still, it makes for a cool story.

I have to pick Middletown Dreams because I STILL think it's title is the result of a letter I sent Neil way back...(and I DO like the song better than the other two listed)

I blame you for thrusting that song on us. The only way I could blame you more would be if you suggested the use of more synths in your letter or if you mailed him in 1992 suggesting an album based on relationships.

Well I'm just glad I'm not the inspiration for Nobody's Hero! ;-) (not that there's anything WRONG with that...but the poor guy is no longer with us)

• Like 1

The CA version of Middletown is really f***ing good, and I've said before that the CA version of Red Sector A is the best version of that song. You know, people can whine about the "yodeling" but you can tell that Ged is singing RSA with a ton of emotion in his voice.

He just oversings so much on recent releases, especially on slower songs that could really benefit from a softer touch that he just doesn't seem to have now. He had the same problems on The Camera Eye, Presto, Time Stand Still and others.

Well I'm just glad I'm not the inspiration for Nobody's Hero! ;-) (not that there's anything WRONG with that...but the poor guy is no longer with us)

I did save a drowning child in 1992...hmmm, I'm going to check the liner notes of Counterparts.

• Like 2

exactly. I hate that part. But the rest of the song is beautiful.
  • Like 1