Nobody's Hero vs. The Pass vs. Middletown Dreams

fraroc

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which song do you like better?

• Nobody's Hero from Counterparts
    • The Pass from Presto
    • Middletown Dreams from Power Windows

To me, these are three of Rush's most moving songs for different reasons....And I honestly love all three, but which one or ones do you prefer?

The Pass is great musically and lyrically.

Nobody's Hero is very good musically and lyrically.

Middletown Dreams is good lyrically.

The Pass.

Middletown Dreams is excellent, but Nobody's Hero has such irritating lyrics (it is so to the point it comes across as dumb).

• Like 1

In a way, I identify with all three songs....

My sexuality is different than most men, but instead of clubbing, I paint big cities in my lonely attic room and dream in Middletown. I also live life on a razor's edge and worry that one day I will become yet another noble warrior who's lost the will to fight.

Of all the horrible lyrical and musical decisions on Counterparts, I don't understand the hate for Nobody's Hero. I think it all comes down to the use of the word "sexuality", which is 5 syllables and made people feel uncomfortable.
  • Like 1

I honestly love all those songs. They take such a personal view.of ones life. This makes the m very powerful songs lyrically. It depends on my mode. Each of these songs are the first ones I listen too when I feel like play those respective albums. I am going to have to do blind pick on the polland see who when.

In a way, I identify with all three songs....

My sexuality is different than most men, but instead of clubbing, I paint big cities in my lonely attic room and dream in Middletown. I also live life on a razor's edge and worry that one day I will become yet another noble warrior who's lost the will to fight.

If you aren't young enough to be able to move the short commute to NYC or to some other city, let me say this: the cliche is true...it gets better.

The Pass is excellent. Middletown Dreams is pretty good. Nobody's Hero is lousy.

This is how I feel about them too. I can't even listen to Nobody's Hero.

I have to pick Middletown Dreams because I STILL think it's title is the result of a letter I sent Neil way back...(and I DO like the song better than the other two listed)

MD's is just a weird song for me because I used to live in a place called Middletown and it hit a bit close to home, so to speak.

• Like 2

I have to pick Middletown Dreams because I STILL think it's title is the result of a letter I sent Neil way back...(and I DO like the song better than the other two listed)

MD's is just a weird song for me because I used to live in a place called Middletown and it hit a bit close to home, so to speak.

I am right next door to there, right now.

I do like the song a lot, though.

Out of all three, I have to go with The Pass, though. That's the one that hits closest to home for me.

• Like 1

I always thought it was weird because in the letter I wrote to him through Modern Drummer I asked a few drum related questions, and some other stuff, then apparently must have spilled my guts on being frustrated that I couldn't get into a decent band and must have blamed it on not being very talented...

Well here's the response....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jaminbenb/NPnote_zpskw3itbe6.jpg

Now I thought it was cool that a. I had his autograph, b. that he actually took the time to write me, but a little bummed that he focused on my frustration rather than my other questions... no biggie, though...

Now imagine getting the next album and seeing a tune called "Middletown Dreams"....(and reading the lyrics about what it was about)

I sent another letter with only drumming related questions, and got this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jaminbenb/NP2_zpsqv4oto1f.jpg

• Like 9

I always thought it was weird because in the letter I wrote to him through Modern Drummer I asked a few drum related questions, and some other stuff, then apparently must have spilled my guts on being frustrated that I couldn't get into a decent band and must have blamed it on not being very talented...

Now I thought it was cool that a. I had his autograph, b. that he actually took the time to write me, but a little bummed that he focused on my frustration rather than my other questions... no biggie, though...

Now imagine getting the next album and seeing a tune called "Middletown Dreams"....(and reading the lyrics about what it was about)

As a fellow drummer, I am drooling over here...so great that you have personal correspondence from The Professor himself!

• Like 1

As a fellow drummer, I am drooling over here...so great that you have personal correspondence from The Professor himself!

I agree that's really cool.

(I deleted things..so we don't keep making the page bigger...)

It was a cool thing because at first no one really knew that he DID that (kind of like sending the albums to the concert venue for the band to sign) But once things started in places like this, and the word got out that he DID that, he had to put a stop to it because he was getting slammed! (it was a Modern Drummer thing...where they advertised that if you sent your favorite drummer a letter in care of them, they'd forward it, but not guarantee you'd get a response...case in point I sent a letter to them for Terry Bozzio, and never heard back, and I had no clue if Neil sent them back either, but wth?!?)

• Like 1

It was a cool thing because at first no one really knew that he DID that (kind of like sending the albums to the concert venue for the band to sign) But once things started in places like this, and the word got out that he DID that, he had to put a stop to it because he was getting slammed! (it was a Modern Drummer thing...where they advertised that if you sent your favorite drummer a letter in care of them, they'd forward it, but not guarantee you'd get a response...case in point I sent a letter to them for Terry Bozzio, and never heard back, and I had no clue if Neil sent them back either, but wth?!?)

You never know unless you try!

You never know unless you try!

Yep...didn't cost anything, except a stamp! (heck, it didn't even cost that, I probably stole it from my mom!)

Sending my Hemispheres album was a LITTLE more costly (and risky), but I sent it locally (Hershey) and figured that I'd just get it sent back if they weren't forwarding it...