The Official Iron Maiden Thread

Segue Myles

Someone suggested we start a Maiden tread.

Done!

Playing Brave New World.

What a great album!

• Like 3

Ha! And I just replied to that post, that it would likely do well...

Segue, I think you've said you're not a huge fan of live albums in general, but Live After Death is very worthwhile. Chronologically, it came right after Powerslave, so that is the album they were touring behind when it was recorded (if that helps to persuade you!).

Ooooh...I do wanna see their Rio concert as well...
  • Like 1

So far, my top five:

1. Powerslave

2. Brave New World

3. Piece Of Mind

4. The Final Frontier

5. Seventh Son

• Like 2

For a great recent live album, you should check out Flight 666 (also as a DVD). They featured a lot of the Powerslave era on this tour. Hearing Rime of the Ancient mariner performed with the current 3 guitar line-up was great.

Also the Flight 666 tour documentary was made by the same folks who made Beyond a Lighted Stage. So you shouldn't miss it.

• Like 1

Great idea Segue! I mean it would be if we didn't already have one that's over 45 pages deep ;)

http://www.therushfo...d/page__st__900

Bums.

Well my thread is shiny and new...lets keeo it fresh!

I actually think recent Iron Maiden is amazing...

For a great recent live album, you should check out Flight 666 (also as a DVD). They featured a lot of the Powerslave era on this tour. Hearing Rime of the Ancient mariner performed with the current 3 guitar line-up was great.

Also the Flight 666 tour documentary was made by the same folks who made Beyond a Lighted Stage. So you shouldn't miss it.

Here's the trailer:

You need to see this. It's a brilliant documentary

My Top Five Maiden studio albums are:

1) The Number Of The Beast

2) Iron Maiden

3) Powerslave

4) A Matter Of Lfe And Death

5) Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

I give my preference mainly to 80s albums as you can see, but I can only praise their last works since Bruce Dickinson is back

2) Iron Maiden

3) Powerslave

I give my preference mainly to 80s albums as you can see, but I can only praise their last works since Bruce Dickinson is back

AMOLAD is a very heavy going album. I look forward to delving into it as time passes...was very impressed by it first listen.

Ahh Maiden. One of my favorite bands of all time.

One of the few bands who are better in their latter days than they were in their "prime" as people put it.

My rankings:

Somewhere In Time

Brave New World

Powerslave

The Final Frontiet

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

A Matter Of Life And Death

Dance Of Death

Piece Of Mind

The rest of the Dickinson albums and the Di'Anno albums only have one to a few good songs.

The Bayley albums are shit.

My favorite Maiden tune of all time, from the Final Frontier tour:

http://youtu.be/7KV56kwxiHg

2) Iron Maiden

3) Powerslave

AMOLAD is a very heavy going album. I look forward to delving into it as time passes...was very impressed by it first listen.

IMO AMOLAD is their peak regarding last albums: Brave New World and Dance Of Death are both strong works, but I find The Final Frontier the less catchy of the bunch. I think the 7-8 minutes tracks formula might have done its time and I'd like to listen to a new Maiden album with more straight old school NWOBHM numbers

2) Iron Maiden

3) Powerslave

IMO AMOLAD is their peak regarding last albums: Brave New World and Dance Of Death are both strong works, but I find The Final Frontier the less catchy of the bunch. I think the 7-8 minutes tracks formula might have done its time and I'd like to listen to a new Maiden album with more straight old school NWOBHM numbers

Funny, I love The Final Frontier! But of all the recent albums, Brave New World is so far my top pick (I have yet to hear Dance Of Death).

2) Iron Maiden

3) Powerslave

Funny, I love The Final Frontier! But of all the recent albums, Brave New World is so far my top pick (I have yet to hear Dance Of Death).

You won't waste your time!

Good job starting the new thread! We kinda hijacked the last one, didn't we!!

Live After Death is absolutely classic!! En Vivo is a really good live album as well, with a lot of newer stuff.

There are also a series of dvds called The History of Iron Maiden. The first covers Iron Maiden, Killers, Number of the Beast & Piece of Mind, the second is Powerslave/Live After Death and the third is Seventh Son/Maiden England. TONS of amazing live footage from basically every tour including early footage playing in bars.

Edited by Justin Case

Can't remember a not amazing Maiden's live CD or DVD.

Among unofficial release I recommend the Swedish TV show recorded in Gothenburg in 2005 where they played just songs taken from the first four studio albums.

Yeah I like En Vivo too. Both Rios by Maiden and Rush are great.

The thing I love about both bands is that they really are fan forward bands. Meaning they live to give the fans the best show possible and make albums they beleive in and stand behind. I find Maidens music to be both emotionally and spiritually uplifting.

I'm not a fan of either Rio release. The Rush one is completely unwatchable, imo (and the audio is unlistenable).

One thing that's been cool about Maiden's shows for the past 10 years or so is how they've been going back and forth doing a classic tour followed up by mostly new stuff. Based on that pattern, the next tour will focus on post 2000 stuff and after that we'll get something most likely based on Fear Of The Dark.

Have acquired about 32 IM albums this year, still haven't listened to them all (I'm typically a random shuffle kind of guy, lol). Pinpointing my favorite songs and albums is a bit complicated, but Powerslave and Piece of Mind head the list, with A Matter of Life and Death, Seventh Son, and Brave New World circulating in this righteous mix. :NP:
  • Like 2