Cinderella Man vs Lessons

Narps

The underrateds  

54 members have voted

1. 1. So which one

Cinderella Man. Just love the vibe and feel from that castle/studio in Wales that reverberates throughout the entire aFtK album.
  • Like 2

Super-tough one, Narp. Not sure I'm up to the task. Lessons has the added bonus of having rare lyrics from Lifeson. Did Lifeson write any other lyrics in Rush?

Don't know. As someone mentioned previously there is just something about the acoustic intro that just grabs me and won't let go. For the musicians out there does it have something to do with melody as to why the songs grabs me and won't let go?...

It is a great acoustic intro for sure, but I also love how it builds into the heavy jam and like Eagle Moon said the bass really kicks ass too. And those high hats are just the icing on the cake. If not for the odd authoritarian like lyrics I think Lessons would have been a much more popular song. These lyrics are soooo not like Alex, that I can't help but wonder if he meant them to be sarcastic but didn't manage to get that message across.

Anyway, thanks for starting this conversation Narps. This is a group of peeps I could share drinks and talk about Rush songs with into the wee hours of the morning. :cheers:

Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre
  • Like 2

Super-tough one, Narp. Not sure I'm up to the task. Lessons has the added bonus of having rare lyrics from Lifeson. Did Lifeson write any other lyrics in Rush?

Don't know. As someone mentioned previously there is just something about the acoustic intro that just grabs me and won't let go. For the musicians out there does it have something to do with melody as to why the songs grabs me and won't let go?...

It is a great acoustic intro for sure, but I also love how it builds into the heavy jam and like Eagle Moon said the bass really kicks ass too. And those high hats are just the icing on the cake. If not for the odd authoritarian like lyrics I think Lessons would have been a much more popular song. These lyrics are soooo not like Alex, that I can't help but wonder if he meant them to be sarcastic but didn't manage to get that message across.

Anyway, thanks for starting this conversation Narps. This is a group of peeps I could share drinks and talk about Rush songs with into the wee hours of the morning. :cheers:

Amen brother. Lessons gives me chills everytime I hear it. It builds and builds as you said. The vocals to me are bad@ss. That's how you layer vocals. Love side two and always have. Much appreciate the kind words as I'm sure the rest of the peeps here do as well... :cheers:
  • Like 4

as much as I love AFTK, Cinderella Man just isn't the best song on it, it gets boring. Lessons has a more classic rock sound to it.

Ugh. This is liking having to name your favorite kid. They're both in my top 5 tunes.

But, the winner is Lessons.

As a guitar player,I can tell you they are both fun to play. But Lessons has that grooving acoustic track much like Making Memories, and has something I wish the guys did more often when Lerxst plays the melodic lead licks behind the vocals. Plus, the solos he plays on this song are criminally underrated.

• Like 1

I love Lessons, the nice acoustic intro, the simplicity and vividness of the lyrics, the power of the vocals and guitar in the chorus, it just works on every level for me. I like Cinderella Man, and the inverted power of verses and softness of chorus, but it is simply outclassed in this matchup.
  • Like 1

17-14. I figured this would be pretty balanced. Also not much hate for these two songs either which surprises me a bit or maybe those folks just have been too kind to post... :)
  • Like 1

Both of these are great and highly underrated tunes. I do love to jam out to both of these but the instrumental break in CM pushes it just over the top for this poll. I would love to see them do CM on this tour, vocally I think this is still very doable and the jam would be awesome.
  • Like 5