The Official Toto Appreciation Thread

Segue Myles

Just in time for the sublime new album, Toto XIV!

One of my absolute all-time favourite bands, and by far my favourite of all the AOR groups.

My ratings for XIV:

1. Running Out Of Time- 10/10

2. Burn- 8/10

3. Holy War 8/10

4. 21st Century Blues- 7/10

5. Orphan- 8/10

6. Unknown Soldier (For Jeffrey)- 9/10

7. The Little Things- 10/10

8. Chinatown- 8/10

9. All The Tears- 10/10

10. Fortune- 8/10

11. Great Expectations- 10/10

12. Bend (Bonus Track)- 8/10

I think this is a dead cert for my top three Toto albums. I am very critical of this band, so for me to embrace this album with as much adoration and love really means something.

For me, nothing beats Fahrenheit, but this is ridiculously close!

• Like 1

Isn't there already one of these threads? No wait that was Air Supply... My bad :)
  • Like 2

Do I...or do I not...

Too easy. I'll leave it alone :D Hold The Line's not a bad song. That's as far as I'm willing to go with Toto. I enjoy your eclectic taste in music Segue :cheers:

Gives something else to talk about other than Yes, Porcupine Tree, Tull, or that Canadian band with the guy with the funny hat behind the drum kit.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 2

This is gonna go under....i mean over well, lol

Seriously. Ilove the new album it is in my top 5

1. Fahrenheit

2. XIV

3. Toto

4. Tambu

5. IV

Mick

Swap the debut for Isolation, and we have the same top five!

• Like 1

Do I...or do I not...

Too easy. I'll leave it alone :D Hold The Line's not a bad song. That's as far as I'm willing to go with Toto. I enjoy your eclectic taste in music Segue :cheers:

Gives something else to talk about other than Yes, Porcupine Tree, Tull, or that Canadian band with the guy with the funny hat behind the drum kit.

I need variety...i spent years playing nothing but goth metal and post-hardcore and dude, it got boring very quickly.

So I made a real effort to expand my horizons, and now just about anything goes!

As for Toto, they are definitley worth exploring. I heard a few snippets of Africa, Rosanna and Hold The Line (just snippets, not full songs) and I immediately went crazy and bought seven alums in one shot, and fell head over heels in love.

I discovered Rush first, and to my ears, Toto are equals (just a very different form of rock).

Edited by Segue Myles

Segue How do you like Chinatown. The grove they put down on that song had me grinning from ear to ear. Throw back to almost Georgy Porgy.

Mick

Chinatown reminds me so much of the early stuff! I absolutely love it! 21st Century Blues bugs me, it reminds me of another Toto song...can't put my finger on it but the intro is so obviously self-plagiarism. I really like it though.

Holy War could be straight off of The Seventh One, and Little Things and All The Tears are just...heavenly...and I really wish Bend was not relegated to Japan-bonus track status. Grrrr...

My initial fears were for this to turn out to be another Mindfields. But no, this is another Toto masterpiece.

I think this alum has the best flow of any Toto album.

Edited by Segue Myles

My top five:

1. Fahrenheit: A classic, one of my all time favourite albums and quite possibly my favourite alum of the eighties.

2. Tambu: Faultlessly played arena rock anthems, ballads and rocking instrumentals, all with a slight gospel tinge. I would say this is about two percent below Fahrenheit. Rush released Roll The Bones and Counterparts around the time Toto released this. Hysterical...Toto bested Rush in the rock n roll stakes that decade!

3. XIV: This might be new (heck, it isn't even released yet), but this is equal to Tambu.

4. Isolation: It has Endless, my favourite Toto song (it also has Hollyanna, How Does It Feel and Isolation). Fergie Fredriksen is one of my all time favourite singers (for his best work, get this and Trillion's self-titled debut).

5. IV: Rosanna, I Won't Hold You Back, Make Believe, Africa...this album is faultless. It only ranks below Isolation by a slight preference issue: this doesn't have Endless.

I love and adore burn........which i remember you Segue saying was meh, lol. such a big grand chorus.

Mick

Burn and Holy Wars really left me cold until I heard them with other album tracks. Blame YouTube audio.

Fortune I can tell is going to ve underrated. Great Expectations is a masterpiece if you ask me.

Running Out Of Time is shaping up to be ny second favourite opener (after Gift Of Faith).

• Like 1

Their hooki-est album in ages too. I loved Falling in Between. But it's kinda lackluster in the hook departent. this is hooks galore.

Mick

I HATE King Of The World and abore Hooked with a passion.

The rest of Falling In Between is good to great, my top pick being Bottom Of Your Soul. I would take the last three Toto albums over the last two Rush.

• Like 1

Their hooki-est album in ages too. I loved Falling in Between. But it's kinda lackluster in the hook departent. this is hooks galore.

Mick

The rest of Falling In Between is good to great, my top pick being Bottom Of Your Soul. I would take the last three Toto albums over the last two Rush.

me too. it's a crime to say that here but it's TRUE. Toto has been better then Rush recently.

Mick

Mick

me too. it's a crime to say that here but it's TRUE. Toto has been better then Rush recently.

Mick

The last time Rush released an album as good as XIV, it was Presto.

And XIV may even be better than that...

• Like 1

I can't believe Mike passed. Now Mike and Jeff are together again.

How sad.

I have yet to hear the new album but I will get it.

i'm happy he's not suffering anymore. I watched my friend's father die of ALS. it's beyond awful.

Mick

I can't believe Mike passed. Now Mike and Jeff are together again.

How sad.

I have yet to hear the new album but I will get it.

i'm happy he's not suffering anymore. I watched my friend's father die of ALS. it's beyond awful.

Mick

I never knew that ALS was that brutal Mick. So sad. Sorry about your friend's dad.

• Like 1

So new Nightwish is out...

Toto's new album has some great competition!

Bummer! Didn't know Mike was even sick! (haven't kept up with the Toto thing since Jeff Porcaro passed away...

Heard XIV, and i LIKE it, but I haven't had enough time to really get to know it...I'll have to give it another listen when I'm sitting down with a "glass of wine, and chilling"....I DO like that they don't have Simon Philips playing now...don't get me wrong I don't dislike Simon, but I never thought he was the right "fit" for Toto...

I had Kingdom of Desire playing on my iPad yesterday...great album! Was a huge fan of the very early stuff, and what Joseph Williams sang on...(Fahrenheit, and The Seventh One) (ok...wasn't a big fan of Isolation and Dune)

• Like 2

Bummer! Didn't know Mike was even sick! (haven't kept up with the Toto thing since Jeff Porcaro passed away...

Heard XIV, and i LIKE it, but I haven't had enough time to really get to know it...I'll have to give it another listen when I'm sitting down with a "glass of wine, and chilling"....I DO like that they don't have Simon Philips playing now...don't get me wrong I don't dislike Simon, but I never thought he was the right "fit" for Toto...

I had Kingdom of Desire playing on my iPad yesterday...great album! Was a huge fan of the very early stuff, and what Joseph Williams sang on...(Fahrenheit, and The Seventh One) (ok...wasn't a big fan of Isolation and Dune)

Tambu is perfect. Simon Phillips was the dudemeister on that one!

• Like 1