Tuna

I love swordfish!

Used to eat a lot of raw tuna too in the seventies, but no more.

Is that a euphemism?

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--nBrVmkuW--/19fwzw476fytpjpg.jpg

That was awesome. :LOL:

• Like 1

I'll eat canned tuna occasionally, usually light or albacore, and packed in water. Add some celery, onion powder, Mircle Whip and a couple drops of vinegar, great tuna salad.

Love ahi and tuna sushi- ne of the retaturants near work does a killer ahi tuna salad with a light soy vinagarette dressing and a fat dollop of wasabi on the side. Banzai!

• Like 1

I always hear these things that eating fish is bad for you in the long run cause it has mercury in it or something. :huh:

Anyone know anything about this?

Yes.

Tunas (and swordfish) are apex predators and as such their bodies contain high levels of mercury. A typical serving size of tuna steaks--or any other predatory fish, for that matter--usually exceeds the safe level of mercury, and continued consumption can cause serious health problems. You can get an idea of the level of mercury you would be ingesting here: https://seaturtles.o...ograms/mercury/

Most marine predators, including large tuna and swordfish, are dwindling in numbers and the methods used to fish them are often harmful to the environment and/or generate a great amount of bycatch (other sea life caught and wasted because they die and are thrown out). If you care about this sort of thing (and if you don't, you should) do a little research on seafood before you eat it. The Monterey Bay Aquarium has a great program to keep people informed about sustainable seafood choices: http://www.seafoodwatch.org/ They also have wallet-sized cards and a downloadable app so you can carry the info with you.

This is exactly why I don't eat tuna and try to avoid eating larger fish. The larger the fish the higher the mercury level. I've also heard that smaller fish are more healthy to eat (more rich on omega-3 oils and such). I also don't like how they catch all sorts of animals when catching tuna.

I love herring and smoked mackerel :drool:

• Like 2

I am craving a smoked salmon right now...

Smoked salmon is delicious. A friend once caught a big one from a river up north in Norway. He had it smoked. The salmon you buy in stores is tasteless compared. Oh my that was delicious!

• Like 1

Smoked salmon is delicious. A friend once caught a big one from a river up north in Norway. He had it smoked. The salmon you buy in stores is tasteless compared. Oh my that was delicious!

I smoked a salmon once, saw all kinds of weird stuff that night
  • Like 2

Maybe this explains Troutman's member title :LOL: seeing fishy views, LiX?

• Like 1

Very hard to get them lit at first.

• Like 1

Very hard to get them lit at first.

Yeah, but when you try to inhale them that's when you run into trouble!

• Like 1

I like canned tuna as long as its packed in olive oil. Its hard to find sometimes, but way better than packed in water.

Eating canned tuna in moderation is the key to a healthy diet. As said above, the bigger the fish, the more mercury.

This is one reason skip jack tuna is a good choice. They are harvested small and there is little issue with populations.

Something about a cold tuna salad sandwich at the beach. Just seems right.

I like canned tuna as long as its packed in olive oil. Its hard to find sometimes, but way better than packed in water.

Eating canned tuna in moderation is the key to a healthy diet. As said above, the bigger the fish, the more mercury.

This is one reason skip jack tuna is a good choice. They are harvested small and there is little issue with populations.

Something about a cold tuna salad sandwich at the beach. Just seems right.

Tuna tastes delicious and a little every now and then shouldn't hurt nobody. It somehow just slipped out of my food vocabulary.

• Like 1

Tuna is lovely. Especially Tuna melt Paninis. Or just a cold tuna sandwich with sweetcorn or cucumber.

:drool:

http://www.foxnews.com/recipe/sites/foxnews.com.recipe/files/styles/slideshow/public/spicy-tuna-melt-panini-title.jpg

That looks delicious!

• Like 1

The local poultry/seafood market make an outstanding smoked marlin spread that I'm Jonesing for. I'll probably pick some up this weekend for the wife's birthday, knowing she'll eat her share of it.

I'll eat canned tuna occasionally, usually light or albacore, and packed in water. Add some celery, onion powder, Mircle Whip and a couple drops of vinegar, great tuna salad.

Yep, me as well. Nothing vile about that :huh:

• Like 2

The local poultry/seafood market make an outstanding smoked marlin spread that I'm Jonesing for. I'll probably pick some up this weekend for the wife's birthday, knowing she'll eat her share of it.

Yes, I have been looking for it up here also. The brand we had when down there was "Atlantis" smoked fish dip, I think. They make it with several different large fish too.

It was served on crackers with one round of jalepeno and a couple drops habanero sauce.

Fantastic. I think my friend bought it at Sam's in Palm Beach.

We cannot find it here.

Edited by John V

You might try somewhere dealing in seafood. I'm not sure if a local yokel grocery store or a place like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods would carry it.

Delaware Chicken Farms Is the local yokel for me, and while they're a little pricey the quality far outweighs the cost:

http://www.delawarechicken.com/

You might try somewhere dealing in seafood. I'm not sure if a local yokel grocery store or a place like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods would carry it.

Delaware Chicken Farms Is the local yokel for me, and while they're a little pricey the quality far outweighs the cost:

http://www.delawarechicken.com/

I actually found some in Publix a few years ago. We brought back the container from Palm Beach so we would know what to look for. We eventually found it at Publix in a small container. The container we saved was four times the size.

Now we never see it anymore. Thanks for the link. I will check it out.