Tuna

Canned tuna is so vile... but I love Ahi Tuna steak.

It's been on sale this week and we've had it 3 times. I love it med-rare, and I grilled it twice and pan seared it the other time.

While I can cook some tuna steak, it will never live up to the tuna I had in Hawaii. We went to a restaurant and they had a mark next to fish caught that same day. Man was that the best.... especially with a couple Mai Tais

Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 2

Big fan of tuna fish sandwiches, subs etc. A commoner I am I know. I prefer it be made with as little mayo as possible though. Just enough to hold things together. My mother makes it and always has with very small sliced apples in it. I grew up on the stuff and still enjoy it to this day. I would however never eat tuna straight from the can. Yuck...
  • Like 1

When my wife or kids make tuna salad, I need to get the hell out of the kitchen. The smell alone makes me sick. Funny how there is no strong fishy taste with tuna steak...
  • Like 1

I never prepare tuna at home. For some reason, I've decided it's a dish I prefer to order at a restaurant. It's so light and wonderful and that sear on the outside is always so perfect.

I'm a fan of canned tuna fish too. I rarely eat the stuff but my family loves tf sandwiches. I keep it simple: tuna packed in water, grated extra sharp cheddar cheese and mayo. I found that keeping tuna simple is the way to go. It's also one of the only times I'll pair dairy with fish.

It's been on sale this week and we've had it 3 times. I love it med-rare, and I grilled it twice and pan seared it the other time.

While I can cook some tuna steak, it will never live up to the tuna I had in Hawaii. We went to a restaurant and they had a mark next to fish caught that same day. Man was that the best.... especially with a couple Mai Tais

Tuna elitist

Mayonnaise is some of the nastiest stuff I have ever come across. It boggles the mind how someone can like that vinegary stuff that looks like something you wouldn't ever want to have in your mouth.

But yeah, tuna steaks are delicious.

My mother makes tuna and noodle casserole at home with no mayo, she uses cream of mushroom soup with the tuna in a can and bag of those wavy egg noodles. Goes great with crescent rolls, as many things do.

Has anyone here ever tried swordfish? I had it for the first time while I was in Seattle for an interview, and since they were buying my food I couldn't resist it. ...Otherwise I would never have got it, it was like $30.

It's like steak of the sea. I'm not too big on fish but I love salmon, and swordfish was even better. I'm more partial to shrimp and crab legs.

• Like 2

Has anyone here ever tried swordfish? I had it for the first time while I was in Seattle for an interview, and since they were buying my food I couldn't resist it. ...Otherwise I would never have got it, it was like $30.

It's like steak of the sea. I'm not too big on fish but I love salmon, and swordfish was even better. I'm more partial to shrimp and crab legs.

Swordfish is delicious.
  • Like 1

I love swordfish!

Used to eat a lot of raw tuna too in the seventies, but no more.

Is that a euphemism?

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--nBrVmkuW--/19fwzw476fytpjpg.jpg

• Like 3

I always hear these things that eating fish is bad for you in the long run cause it has mercury in it or something. :huh:

Anyone know anything about this?

I remember reading something about trace levels of mercury and how it's best to keep it to only a couple times a week.

I always hear these things that eating fish is bad for you in the long run cause it has mercury in it or something. :huh:

Large quantities of certain fish can cause mercury poisoning. You really have to look into it. Don't eat anything out of lake Michigan :D

Large quantities of certain fish can cause mercury poisoning. You really have to look into it. Don't eat anything out of lake Michigan :D

Especially if it's the creature from the black lagoo...lake. :)

Big fan of tuna fish sandwiches, subs etc. A commoner I am I know. I prefer it be made with as little mayo as possible though. Just enough to hold things together. My mother makes it and always has with very small sliced apples in it. I grew up on the stuff and still enjoy it to this day. I would however never eat tuna straight from the can. Yuck...

Me too. Here's a good one. Real simple:

2 cans tuna fish--completely drained

5 Gherkins diced

1/2 onion diced

1/4 cup mayo

2 tlbs Sweet/hot stone ground mustard

This is good by itself or with pita, crackers, but NOT in a fruit roll up

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

Here's a good overview. It's even got pictures to keep kids like you entertained :LOL:

http://en.m.wikipedi...Mercury_in_fish

Had that been posted by anyone besides you I would have said that post is about as condescending as certain SOCN posts. :moon:

Thanks for the link, anyway :LOL:

• Like 2

Here's a good overview. It's even got pictures to keep kids like you entertained :LOL:

http://en.m.wikipedi...Mercury_in_fish

Had that been posted by anyone besides you I would have said that post is about as condescending as certain SOCN posts. :moon:

Thanks for the link, anyway :LOL:

I have a kid older than you, and I'm still young compared to most in SOCN. You know I'm a kind and caring person... especially to Bryan Adams fans
  • Like 1

I got turned onto good tuna in Hawaii too. It was amazing. I also love tuna sushi. I'm going to have some tomorrow night. :drool: Edited by ILSnwdog

Yes.

Tunas (and swordfish) are apex predators and as such their bodies contain high levels of mercury. A typical serving size of tuna steaks--or any other predatory fish, for that matter--usually exceeds the safe level of mercury, and continued consumption can cause serious health problems. You can get an idea of the level of mercury you would be ingesting here: https://seaturtles.org/programs/mercury/

Most marine predators, including large tuna and swordfish, are dwindling in numbers and the methods used to fish them are often harmful to the environment and/or generate a great amount of bycatch (other sea life caught and wasted because they die and are thrown out). If you care about this sort of thing (and if you don't, you should) do a little research on seafood before you eat it. The Monterey Bay Aquarium has a great program to keep people informed about sustainable seafood choices: http://www.seafoodwatch.org/ They also have wallet-sized cards and a downloadable app so you can carry the info with you.

• Like 2