Red Barchetta- 10

YYZ - 9

Limelight - 10

The Camera Eye - 9.5

Witch Hunt - 6

Vital Signs - 7

Score - 8.71

PeW loses by a string.

Interesting to see The Spirit of Radio ranked higher than even Natural Science (in your book, I mean).

I'd be interested to hear why you feel it outshines all of the other songs on the album.

I voted for Moving Pictures (believe it or not, I typed Moving Waves :laughing guy: ) because, in my opinion, it doesn't measure up to either Permanent Waves or Hemispheres despite the fact that it has Red Barchetta and Limelight.
  • Like 1

Permanent Waves, which is number five on my own list. Different Strings is a standard album cut at best, Natural Science is a hair overrated, and I have to be in the mood for Jacob's Ladder, and sometimes Freewill too.

This is not a vote against PeW, however. I absolutely LOVE it. But I'll take MP and Hemi over it most any day of the week.

So impossible. This is like choosing between Revolver, Sgt Peppers, and Abbey Road. PeW, like Revolver, is perfection and just plain cool; and, the album which seems to get named "best" by hardcore devotees more than any other. MP, like Sgt Peppers, is the icon, the one album which most people most identify with the band. Abbey Road, like Hemi, is a rich and colorful aural landscape with two very distinct sides. Critics point to flaws in both, but if I could only take one disc from both bands to a desert island it would be those.

So, do I choose perfection, iconic status, or personal attachment? Do I go with my heart and keep Hemi, as I would Abbey Road, or my head and vote Hemi out, as I would Abbey Road? No united sphere on this one.

For now, going with the head as I think that both PeW and MP are stronger albums than Hemi, all things considered. Like voting against AFTK just doesn't feel right though. Subject to change as certainly my vote will decide all this :sarcastic: .

I don't consider Revolver near the quality of those other 2 records. If I had to add a 3rd, it'd be the White Album...but that would mess up your comparison. Either way, I'd vote for White Album/Revolver, just as I'd vote for PeW.

It's interesting to me that yesterday A Farewell to Kings received 54% of the dumpster vote, with the other three splitting the remaining 46%, but today seems to be much more polarized.

A Farewell to Kings- the sacrificial lamb of the holy tetralogy. :(

• Like 1

Permanent Waves

The Spirit of Radio - 10

Freewill - 9.5

Jacob's Ladder - 7

Entre Nous - 9

Different Strings - 7

Natural Science - 9

Score - 8.58

Moving Pictures

Tom Sawyer - 9.5

Red Barchetta- 10

YYZ - 9

Limelight - 10

The Camera Eye - 9.5

Witch Hunt - 6

Vital Signs - 7

Score - 8.71

PeW loses by a string.

Interesting to see The Spirit of Radio ranked higher than even Natural Science (in your book, I mean).

I'd be interested to hear why you feel it outshines all of the other songs on the album.

To me it just nails everything...great story, nice idea, great lyrics, killer guitar, nice mood shifts, imminently accessible, everyone playing great, amazing vocals...it's about as perfect as a song can get. It's on par with Red Barchetta, and slightly better than Limelight (though that one shares the same rating). I don't know if there's ever been a time in my life where TSOR started and I thought "I'm not in the mood" or "I've heard this too much." I'm stoked every time.

• Like 2

I voted for Moving Pictures (believe it or not, I typed Moving Waves :laughing guy: ) because, in my opinion, it doesn't measure up to either Permanent Waves or Hemispheres despite the fact that it has Red Barchetta and Limelight.

You might have just changed my vote to MP as well. Red Barchetta and Limelight are the only songs I really listen to from MP regularly anymore; The Camera Eye and Vital Signs occasionally. The rest I tend to skip. I skip very little on PeW (Freewill unless I'm in the mood) or Hemi (always skip The Sphere).

Edit: just changed my vote to MP. Feels right, unlike the vote for PeW. Thanks Lorraine for that clarity.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

It's interesting to me that yesterday A Farewell to Kings received 54% of the dumpster vote, with the other three splitting the remaining 46%, but today seems to be much more polarized.

A Farewell to Kings- the sacrificial lamb of the holy tetralogy. :(

It didn't really belong there. 2112 belongs on Mt. Rushmore, even if the sound is rawer than in these other records.

• Like 1

You might have just changed my vote to MP as well. Red Barchetta and Limelight are the only songs I really listen to from MP regularly anymore; The Camera Eye and Vital Signs occasionally. The rest I tend to skip. I skip very little on PeW (Freewill unless I'm in the mood) or Hemi (always skip The Sphere).

:) Always glad to be of service. ;) :cool: :LOL:

So impossible. This is like choosing between Revolver, Sgt Peppers, and Abbey Road. PeW, like Revolver, is perfection and just plain cool; and, the album which seems to get named "best" by hardcore devotees more than any other. MP, like Sgt Peppers, is the icon, the one album which most people most identify with the band. Abbey Road, like Hemi, is a rich and colorful aural landscape with two very distinct sides. Critics point to flaws in both, but if I could only take one disc from both bands to a desert island it would be those.

So, do I choose perfection, iconic status, or personal attachment? Do I go with my heart and keep Hemi, as I would Abbey Road, or my head and vote Hemi out, as I would Abbey Road? No united sphere on this one.

For now, going with the head as I think that both PeW and MP are stronger albums than Hemi, all things considered. Like voting against AFTK just doesn't feel right though. Subject to change as certainly my vote will decide all this :sarcastic: .

I don't consider Revolver near the quality of those other 2 records. If I had to add a 3rd, it'd be the White Album...but that would mess up your comparison. Either way, I'd vote for White Album/Revolver, just as I'd vote for PeW.

Not scientific but reflective of my experience among Beatles fans and music-intense hipsters: http://www.bestevera...hechart.php?c=2 . VH1 was a fan poll if I remember right, the RS Top 500 all-time, made up of music industry types and journalists and such had Sgt Peppers #1 and Revolver #3 (top two Beatles albums).

At any rate, any album with Eleanor Rigby, I'm Only Sleeping, She Said She Said, For No One, Dr. Robert, Tomorrow Never Knows, etc. is a tough act to beat. But it's all personal taste; I know people who think Beatles For Sale is their best (I guess they're into country rock).

Edited by Rutlefan

Permanent Waves

The Spirit of Radio - 10

Freewill - 9.5

Jacob's Ladder - 7

Entre Nous - 9

Different Strings - 7

Natural Science - 9

Score - 8.58

Moving Pictures

Tom Sawyer - 9.5

Red Barchetta- 10

YYZ - 9

Limelight - 10

The Camera Eye - 9.5

Witch Hunt - 6

Vital Signs - 7

Score - 8.71

PeW loses by a string.

To me it just nails everything...great story, nice idea, great lyrics, killer guitar, nice mood shifts, imminently accessible, everyone playing great, amazing vocals...it's about as perfect as a song can get. It's on par with Red Barchetta, and slightly better than Limelight (though that one shares the same rating). I don't know if there's ever been a time in my life where TSOR started and I thought "I'm not in the mood" or "I've heard this too much." I'm stoked every time.

I feel the same way about Freewill. It may not be as accessible (but fairly close)...but it is just a killer, killer song all the way around.

• Like 1

Not scientific but reflective of my experience among Beatles fans and music-intense hipsters: http://www.bestevera...hechart.php?c=2

Any album with Eleanor Rigby, I'm Only Sleeping, She Said She Said, For No One, Dr. Robert, Tomorrow Never Knows, etc. is a tough act to beat. But it's all personal taste; I know people who think Beatles For Sale is their best (I guess they're into country rock).

Half of the album is filler, and the highs don't reach the highs of Sgt Pepper or Abbey Road (or the White Album). I know it's super popular, but I think it may have something to do with not wanting to be perceived as being a casual fan. "I'm hardcore...my favorite is Revolver."

This is like picking my favorite child!

Not for me. One of mine was ousted yesterday and another the day before....

Not scientific but reflective of my experience among Beatles fans and music-intense hipsters: http://www.bestevera...hechart.php?c=2

Any album with Eleanor Rigby, I'm Only Sleeping, She Said She Said, For No One, Dr. Robert, Tomorrow Never Knows, etc. is a tough act to beat. But it's all personal taste; I know people who think Beatles For Sale is their best (I guess they're into country rock).

Half of the album is filler, and the highs don't reach the highs of Sgt Pepper or Abbey Road (or the White Album). I know it's super popular, but I think it may have something to do with not wanting to be perceived as being a casual fan. "I'm hardcore...my favorite is Revolver."

Part of my judging albums is including what is left off the album, that is, the companion single. For Revolver it's Paperback Writer/Rain. For Sgt. Pepper's it's Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane. For The Beatles it's Hey Jude/Revolution...

This statement I realize is not 100% accurate or true for everyone but I really think this battle is really where old school and new school really clash. More so than even the other rounds. That's why I think Permanent Waves will win out. It is the best of both worlds...

I have always felt this is the perfect marriage of prog and pop for Rush. The album is perfect. Epics (Jacobs Ladder and N.S), concise rocker (Freewill) Popular Rock (TSOR and Entre Nous) and the gorgeous production piece (Different Strings).

Perfection.

• Like 2

Must be a conspiracy then! :P From wikipedia:

In 1997 Revolver was named the third greatest album of all time in a Music of the Millenium poll conducted in the United Kingdom by HMV Group, Channel 4, The Guardian and Classic FM. In 2000 Q magazine placed it at number 1 in its list of the 50 Greatest British Albums Ever.[117] In 2001, the TV network VH1 named it the greatest album of all time, a position it also achieved in the Virgin All Time Top 1,000 Albums.[118] In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine ranked Revolver third on its list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time".[119] In 2006 the album was chosen by Time magazine as one of the 100 best albums of all time.[120] In 2006, Guitar World readers chose it as the tenth best guitar album of all time.[121] In 2010, Revolver was named the best pop album of all time by the official newspaper of the Holy See, L'Osservatore Romano.[122] In 2013, Entertainment Weekly named Revolver the greatest album of all time.[123]

I just had to do this to save Permanent Waves. I pulled my vote from Pictures. You know where it just went.

:scared:

If you all banished me to a deserted island and said I could only have one Rush song on my iSonglisteningdevice. That song would be The Spirit of Radio, it is the best of everything great the band does.

Of course you people would not banish me, you're all too kind. :)

• Like 1

So, do the people who voted against PeW move to MP to save Hemispheres, or do the people who voted against MP move to PeW to save Hemispheres?

Must be thinking of me. Gotta save Hemispheres. Best album not named Caress Of Steel.

• Like 1

ignore. i thought it was i tie.......read it wrong.

Mick

LMFAO!!! This is fun.

• Like 1