Clockwork Angels concert footage - Help !!!

Relayer2112

I was sitting down with my son (15 year old) watching TV last night and I happened to switch on the Clockwork Angels concert on VH1.

Anyway, I'm happily watching away (the song was "Seven Cities of Gold") when my son exclaims "I can't understand a word he's saying". I'll be the first to admit that it's common to not understand the lyrics during a rock performance, but as my son said that, I realized that I've been listening to Rush through rose-colored hearing aids (did I just invent that term) for quite some time.

I explained the situation away to him that the song is not one of Geddy's finer moments. Then they played "The Garden" and some older tunes and I came to the conclusion that Geddy can no longer sing...worse still...he thinks he can.

I've heard people mention Geddy's diminishing singing skills on these forums, but I always thought to myself "sure, he's lost some range, but he can still sing". Now I'm not sure what to think.

Can someone convince me that everything will be ok and that I'm just having a mid-life Rush crisis?

Sorry Guys, but I don't believe his voice is shot. It's just not the same youthful voice that we all grew up with. I've been there live in the seventies and eighties and his vocals could get very cringe worthy in spots, at least 5 or 6 times a show. Try singing along to the last few concert DVD's with as much passion as he is for the whole show, and you may realize that he's not really that bad as you say. Anyway, just my feelings.
  • Like 1

I was sitting here on my computer when that concert came on tv yesterday, and I had to turn it off because of the vocals. Rose colored glasses is the perfect description to describe the opinion some people here have of his voice. He doesn't even sound like himself anymore. It's sad.

His voice is nearly gone........despite the fantasy land some people live in. Face it the way he sang in the 70's did his chords no favors and we are seeing the result.

Age caught up with him. He yodels and slurs now.

Mick

• Like 2

I can't help you either. His voice sounds bad in recent years. As I have stated on here before I took my family to the movie theater to see Clockwork Angels and I was embarrassed for him and left trying to explain it away... :(
  • Like 3

As I was watching, I kept thinking that the next song would be better and then the next and so on. I guess it's just something that is not a big deal at the concert itself with the adrenaline pumping and all, but when preserved for the whole world to hear, comes off as not so hot, At least that's what I'll be telling myself in preparation for my R40 concert.
  • Like 1

I can't help you either. His voice sounds bad in recent years. As I have stated on here before I took my family to the movie theater to see Clockwork Angels and I was embarrassed for him and left trying to explain it away... :(

i would never show anyone CA tour when introducing Rush. Great way to send em running.

Mick

• Like 1

His voice is nearly gone........despite the fantasy land some people live in. Face it the way he sang in the 70's did his chords no favors and we are seeing the result.

Age caught up with him. He yodels and slurs now.

Mick

if only he could yodel as well as Thijs van Leer from Focus. Actually, I don't know if he can sing anymore either.

• Like 2

As I was watching, I kept thinking that the next song would be better and then the next and so on. I guess it's just something that is not a big deal at the concert itself with the adrenaline pumping and all, but when preserved for the whole world to hear, comes off as not so hot, At least that's what I'll be telling myself in preparation for my R40 concert.

Snakes & Arrows was the last tour where he still sounded like himself. After that his voice broke a lot more and he got mush mouthed.

i would never show anyone CA tour when introducing Rush. Great way to send em running.

Mick

I walked in proud wearing one of my Rush t-shirts and then was sinking in my seat relatively quickly after the show started and honestly couldn't wait for it to be over. I have the Blu Ray and have watched it once... Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 1

With all due respect EagleMoon, I do not feel the way I do about the negative things people say about this band while looking through "Rose colored glasses". I've been following this band with passion and respect since I first heard Caress of Steel in fall/winter of 1975. I do not dislike any song they have recorded, or believe they have any filler in their albums, except for New World Man on Signals, which they themselves have admitted to creating to fill the last 4 minutes of that album. Which turned out to be a very good song.

Mick

I walked in proud wearing one of my Rush t-shirts and was sinking in my seat relatively quickly and honestly couldn't wait for it to be over. I have the Blu Ray and have watched it once...

I watched it once and then watched it again just to make sure it was as bad as I thought it was. Such a shame because my memories of the tour were so much better. At the concert you don't notice it as much.

• Like 1

Mick

I walked in proud wearing one of my Rush t-shirts and then was sinking in my seat relatively quickly after the show started and honestly couldn't wait for it to be over. I have the Blu Ray and have watched it once...

I've only watched it once and when was it released. i hope R40 is a tiny bit better.

Mick

With all due respect EagleMoon, I do not feel the way I do about the negative things people say about this band while looking through "Rose colored glasses". I've been following this band with passion and respect since I first heard Caress of Steel in fall/winter of 1975. I do not dislike any song they have recorded, or believe they have any filler in their albums, except for New World Man on Signals, which they themselves have admitted to creating to fill the last 4 minutes of that album. Which turned out to be a very good song.

With all due respect Caress Of Steel was the first Rush I ever heard and I have been a fan since 1976. Having said that I really believe you are kidding yourself if you think Ged is anything remotely close to what he once was. Again with all due respect... :codger: :sigh:
  • Like 2

I just don't understand why when I watched the entire Clockwork Angels concert on youtube a couple months back that I didn't have a problem with any of it, but when sitting down last night and trying to listen "through the ears of a child", I was completely turned off.

That's all fine and good and I respect your opinion but you can't tell me you think he's still singing well. With all of the voice breaking, yodeling and lack of enunciation. It's not just several times in a concert now, it's constantly throughout the songs. Don't get me wrong, I love the band and Geddy but he needs to hang it up after this tour.

I just don't understand why when I watched the entire Clockwork Angels concert on youtube a couple months back that I didn't have a problem with any of it, but when sitting down last night and trying to listen "through the ears of a child", I was completely turned off.

Maybe the untainted ears of a child was a good reality check. Kids are amazing that way, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Concerts live are different. No one cares. I saw TM tour live. Looking back......Ged was in poor vocal form. In the moment.....man what a party, lol

Mick

^^^ This. Eagle has stated this as well many times around here if I am not mistaken. When you are actually "at" the show you just don't give a sh*t about his voice. To much other excitement going on to even care at that point. Just my opinion...
  • Like 2

Concerts live are different. No one cares. I saw TM tour live. Looking back......Ged was in poor vocal form. In the moment.....man what a party, lol

Mick

^^^ This. Eagle has stated this as well many times around here if I am not mistaken. When you are actually "at" the show you just don't give a sh*t about his voice. To much other excitement going on to even care at that point. Just my opinion...

Yes exactly.

• Like 1

Maybe the untainted ears of a child was a good reality check. Kids are amazing that way, lol

Mick

The other point I would like to make about all this... Seven Cities Of Gold not their best anyway and if I recall the vocals sounded particularly bad on that one. What am I saying? It all sounded bad. Never mind.... :eh:
  • Like 1

Narpsburg, I do not believe in any way, shape, or form that Geddy's voice is as it was on his best days. It's just not as bad as is being said. Also listening to a VH1 broadcast of their show is not the same as listening to the Blu-Ray version on a good home stereo system. And again, next time anyone puts in a recent concert DVD,do his vocals with his passion for the whole concert, first word to last word, and you might realize he's not as shot as you believe. Not saying this to change your opinion, but to give you a better perspective on what he does for 2.5 plus hours every other night, at the level he reaches for not only for himself, but for the fans at the shows.