Non traditional names - is your name one?

Lost In Xanadu

I was SUPPOSED to be named Jill. Simple. Easy to spell and pronounce.

But at the 11th hour, a couple of days before Mom went into labor, Dad sent a telex (he was in the USAF stationed in Korea and didn't see me until I was 2) suggesting the name "Kayanne". For whatever stupid pregnancy-hormone-crazed reason, Mom acceded.

So I am stuck with this goddam atrocity of a name. No one understands me when I first introduce myself, and they can't let it pass without some commentary. No one can spell it properly - they add or delete letters, or worse, split it into 2 names. My dumbass sister in law spelled it "Kam" for the longest time; 12 years later she still can't spell it correctly.

They will try to shorten it and call me "Kay"; I tell these people that they may call me that ONCE, and afterwards I'm going to assume they're talking to someone else. If I wanted to be called Kay, that's how I'd have introduced myself.

It gets pronounced incorrectly all the time as well. Kayanneee (wtf?) or, more often, pronounced like cayenne pepper. Oddly enough I don't really mind that one.

I've heard it's supposed to be a sign of poor self-esteem to hate your own name, but there are some obvious exceptions. Mine being one of those.

Benjamin...didn't know that was my name when I went to first grade because all of my friends called me "Benny" back then, and when they read my name off that morning I had no clue because NO ONE ever called me Benjamin! At the end of reading everyone's names, the teacher asked "is there anyone's name I did not call?" and I raised my hand. She said what's your name, I said "Benny!" and she said I CALLED Benjamin..."that's not ME, I'm BENNY!" :facepalm:

And to his day...everyone still pretty much calls me Benny (or Ben) (or Jammin' Ben...hence the email address/screen name thing...)

• Like 2

My name is only unusual for its spelling, Elisabeth.

My Mum's middle name is Elisabeth with an S, too

My wife has "Lisa" on her birth certificate...when she was baptized, the Catholic Church claimed that there wasn't a "saint" named Lisa, so they'd have to make it Elizabeth...her parents spelled it Elisabeth, so that's what's on her baptisimal certificate.. I'm not sure what they do any more...

My name is only unusual for its spelling, Elisabeth.

My Mum's middle name is Elisabeth with an S, too

My wife has "Lisa" on her birth certificate...when she was baptized, the Catholic Church claimed that there wasn't a "saint" named Lisa, so they'd have to make it Elizabeth...her parents spelled it Elisabeth, so that's what's on her baptisimal certificate.. I'm not sure what they do any more...

Mind their own damned business, hopefully.

• Like 1

My girl and boy each have a "normal" English name and a Chinese name. My daughter has her Chinese name as her first and the English as the second and my boy has it the other way around. This is partly because my wife is Chinese and her name and my daughter's name share a character and a general similarity, and partially because the boy's English name was the first one we agreed on...several years before he was born.

I figure they can choose to be unique or embrace their Chinese culture or to have a more standard name that blends into American life. Either way, I'm good.

Mine isn't non-traditional but I don't often meet another Scott, although a few years ago there was another set of parents on our sons baseball team named Scott & Jen. That was kind of trippy.

Rodrigo is a common name in Portuguese speaking countries...I wonder how it sounds to native English speakers.

To me (here, next door to Mexico, in a city with a high population of Central Americans) I would have assumed it was a Spanish name. It reminds me of the surname Rodriguez--maybe they have the same origin?

The ending "-ez" denotes "son of". It's a reflection of Arabic's influence on Spanish. So, "Rodriguez" means "Son of Rodrigo". That's why you get names like "Dominguez", Fernandez", "Velasquez"... :)
  • Like 2

I'm Michael. Very traditional and ever popular. every time i read popular boys names. it's there, lol

Mick

Who wouldn't want to name their son after me?

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

I'm Michael. Very traditional and ever popular. every time i read popular boys names. it's there, lol

Mick

Who wouldn't want to name their son after me?

:P

Cheeky monkey!

Mine's Alden, it's real popular. Out of all the names in the world it ranks #704.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/Redd_Foxx_Demond_Wilson_Sanford_and_Son_1972.JPG/480px-Redd_Foxx_Demond_Wilson_Sanford_and_Son_1972.JPG

Me and Dad....damn I love this pic!

ALDEN Name Meaning and History

What Does ALDEN Mean and History? From a surname which was derived from the Old English given name EALDWINE.

Usage of ALDEN Name

English

Gender of ALDEN

Masculine, Highly

Analysis of ALDEN

Users of this name Successful, smart , Lucky , Energetic, against life is always positive , Science enthusiast , Perfectionist, Dreamer

ALDEN Statistics

• Pronounced : AWL-dən
  • Color of ALDEN name: Blue
  • Number of letters of ALDEN: 5
  • Other script : Unknown
  • Variants :

Letter Analysis:

Specific analysis for each letter;

A : Detection High

L : Stubborn

D : Introvert

E : Calm, Quiet

N : live life to the fullest

What is the Numerology of ALDEN?

What is the Numerology? Numerology offers an insight into the personality by assigning numeric values to the letters contained in names. The results provide the hidden meaning of the name. Each letter contained in the name is assigned a number. Every number is associated with specific characteristics.

A : 1

L : 12

D : 4

E : 5

N : 14

Total = 36

Characteristics of ALDEN

ALDEN Numerology Analysis; Excited , Patriotic , Depends on Family , High ability of Persuasion , Hardworking

Acrostic Poem About ALDEN

A is for Aware, do you know that you’re so great?

L is for Laughter, nothing is as infectious as yours,

D is for Different, you are simply one of a kind!

E is for Empathy, you care with how much you give,

N is for Nice, the way you are to me.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 2

Hi Duff. :hi:

Great analysis from some clever Dick. Here's mine about me.

I'm a Michael but everybody calls me Grey,

with an e instead of an a,

but even when I'm Grey,

I'll still be Grey my way - yeah

:outtahere:

need some :musicnote: :smoke: :hail:

• Like 4