Non traditional names - is your name one?

Lost In Xanadu

I noticed, watching the news in the morning, there are a lot of non-traditional names. The local news, on channel 6, does a "look who's 6" segment and they wish kids happy birthday. Seems like 90% of the names read are what you might consider "non-traditional".

Always wondered if some kids with names that are way out there hate their name at some point. But, seeing so many seem to be non-traditional, is it just becoming white noise, and not really all that unique anymore?

Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 1

Andrew is a pretty traditional name :LOL:

I don't mind non traditional names but I hate it parents deliberately spell the name differently than how it is usually spelled. I saw a while back a baseball player's name was Andru instead of Andrew. Seriously, what's the point? The kid is going to go through all sorts of inconveniences growing up.

It seems vogue to give your kid some weird name and has been for a while now... :huh:

Kanye named his kid North West...........just put a kick me sign on the poor kid.

Moron.

Mick

Could be worse. He could grow up poor and have a stupid name... :)
  • Like 2

It seems vogue to give your kid some weird name and has been for a while now... :huh:

Kanye named his kid North West...........just put a kick me sign on the poor kid.

Moron.

Mick

Other Hollywood classics...

Diva Thin Muffin, Dweezil, and Moon Unit

Frank Zappa

Seargeoh

Sylvester Stallone

Speck Wildhorse

John Mellencamp and Elaine Irwin

Seven Sirius, Mars Merkaba, and Puma Rose Sabti

Erykah Badu

Jermajesty

Jermaine Jackson

Audio Science

Shannyn Sossamon

Pilot Inspektor

Jason Lee

Banjo

Rachel Griffiths

Apple

Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow

Moxie CrimeFighter and Zolten Penn

Penn Jillette

Jagger Joseph Blue, Poet Sienna Rose, and Lyric Sonny Roads

Soleil Moon Frye

Kal-El

Nicholas Cage

Zuma Nesta Rock, Kingston James McGregor, and Apollo Bowie Flynn

Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale

Maple Sylvie

Jason Bateman

Poppy Honey Rosie, Buddy Bear, Daisy Boo Pamela, and Petal Blossom Rainbow

Jamie Oliver

Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence

Uma Thurman

Breeze Beretta

Levi Johnston

Rainbow Aurora

Holly Madison

Cricket

Busy Philipps

• Like 1

Moron.

Mick

Other Hollywood classics...

Diva Thin Muffin, Dweezil, and Moon Unit

Frank Zappa

Seargeoh

Sylvester Stallone

Speck Wildhorse

John Mellencamp and Elaine Irwin

Seven Sirius, Mars Merkaba, and Puma Rose Sabti

Erykah Badu

Jermajesty

Jermaine Jackson

Audio Science

Shannyn Sossamon

Pilot Inspektor

Jason Lee

Banjo

Rachel Griffiths

Apple

Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow

Moxie CrimeFighter and Zolten Penn

Penn Jillette

Jagger Joseph Blue, Poet Sienna Rose, and Lyric Sonny Roads

Soleil Moon Frye

Kal-El

Nicholas Cage

Zuma Nesta Rock, Kingston James McGregor, and Apollo Bowie Flynn

Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale

Maple Sylvie

Jason Bateman

Poppy Honey Rosie, Buddy Bear, Daisy Boo Pamela, and Petal Blossom Rainbow

Jamie Oliver

Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence

Uma Thurman

Breeze Beretta

Levi Johnston

Rainbow Aurora

Holly Madison

Cricket

Busy Philipps

Celebs are dumb asses. Even the ones that have actually done something to be admired, lol

Mick

I always hated my name because it was different. I went to school with Marys and Deborahs and Elizabeths and Judiths and Annes and Colleens and Karens and Kathleens and Joannes, but no other Lorraine.

When I got much older, probably in my late twenties/early thirties, I once asked my mother why she named me Lorraine. Her story as to why she did didn't help endear the name to me. :LOL: But such is life. :cool:

• Like 1

I always hated my name because it was different. I went to school with Marys and Deborahs and Elizabeths and Judiths and Annes and Colleens and Karens and Kathleens and Joannes, but no other Lorraine.

When I got much older, probably in my late twenties/early thirties, I once asked my mother why she named me Lorraine. Her story as to why she did didn't help endear the name to me. :LOL: But such is life. :cool:

Hey, now we want to hear that story! ;)

My wife has a unique name, Rhapsody (her mother is a piano teacher, Rhapsody in Blue). Funny thing is her siblings names are Michael and Theresa.

I know a couple who named their son August. Yeah, good luck with that in junior high kid.. Haha

I know a guy here in the office that has a son named August.

I also went to school with a guy named "H" - that was his legal first name because his dad wanted his name to start with H, like his name did, but didn't like any of the other H names and didn't want his son to be a junior....

Hey, now we want to hear that story! ;)

It's too depressing. All I can say is that I was sorry I ever asked. :(

• Like 1

Moron.

Mick

Are you kidding me? That kid will never know what its like to be harassed or ridiculed or suffer in any way.

• Like 1

My name is Craig. Yeah. Scottish. Means rock.

Named my son Connor. Everyone calls him Kaan for short. It looks better than Con and when he went to Turkey as a baby it was just easier to call him Kaan since it was a name familiar to Turks.

Now you know more about me than you ever thought you would.

Andrew is a pretty traditional name :LOL:

I don't mind non traditional names but I hate it parents deliberately spell the name differently than how it is usually spelled. I saw a while back a baseball player's name was Andru instead of Andrew. Seriously, what's the point? The kid is going to go through all sorts of inconveniences growing up.

My oldest son has a semi-popular first name but we spell it differently. We do have to spell it out frequently because people want to spell the name the way they've always seen it. Here's why we did it... He has a family name. It's also the original spelling of the name. It's an old Gaelic name but most people have only ever seen the English way of spelling it. His middle name is also a family name so we kept the spellings to how they have remained in the family. I know a lot of people probably roll their eyes thinking we did it to be wacky.

Moron.

Mick

Are you kidding me? That kid will never know what its like to be harassed or ridiculed or suffer in any way.

Very true... unless they spend their money foolishly and end up "poor" (by their standards)

My real name is Jennifer. There was a phase in the early 70s where it was the most popular girls name. I only had issues with it in junior high and high school because there were other Jennifer's in my classes. There were usually two or three others in each class it seemed like. One would have to go by Jen, the other Jenny and the other Jennifer so the teacher wouldn't get confused. Thing was, in one class maybe I would be the designated Jen while in another I would have to be called Jenny (that will give you a quick karate chop to the throat) and in another, Jennifer. It was so confusing!

Other than that, I have to say, even though I have a pretty popular name, I really like.

I think having a popular name or a unique name makes everyone cringe at some point in time in their life.

• Like 1

My name is Craig. Yeah. Scottish. Means rock.

Named my son Connor. Everyone calls him Kaan for short. It looks better than Con and when he went to Turkey as a baby it was just easier to call him Kaan since it was a name familiar to Turks.

Now you know more about me than you ever thought you would.

My youngest is a Connor and we called him, 'The Con Man.'

Well my name is Kenneth

Mine too. I didn't used to be a fan of it but have grown to like it. Nobody calls me anything but Kenneth and expects me to answer. No Ken or Kenny here. My siblings are Kurt, Keith and Karyn. My parents had a little theme goin... :) Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 1

Well my name is Kenneth

Mine too. I didn't used to be a fan of it but have grown to like it. Nobody calls me anything but Kenneth and expects me to answer. No Ken or Kenny here. My siblings are Kurt, Keith and Karyn. My parents had a little theme goin... :)

Were they horribly racist and loved the KKK?

• Like 1