Lost

LedRush

So, I've started watching Lost (no spoilers please!).

I'm 10 episodes in, and every one seems the same to me. People act like incredibly irrational, irresponsible, unlikeable asses with no reason or sense of self-awareness, there are flashbacks to overly dramatic events which unrealistically pertain to the current event, and then the incredibly simple problem that only exists because everyone is such an ass is solved, and the story ends with a cliff-hanger.

Does the show get better or should I just give up?

The first two seasons are great...and then it start to suucks.

All right, since I think the first episodes aren't great, it's fair to assume that I think the others will suck more then, huh?

• Like 1

All right, since I think the first episodes aren't great, it's fair to assume that I think the others will suck more then, huh?

Well it depends.

After 2 seasons it started to be a bit to much, it came monsters and weird stuff happened, it just made it bad...

• Like 1

I so want to chime in with data. But No Spoilers from me.

Season 1- Great

Season 2- OK

Season 3- ?? Still not sure...

After 3...I sort of zoned out....just being honest.

Watch them all. I did. I want your reaction Led.

• Like 2

Well it depends.

After 2 seasons it started to be a bit to much, it came monsters and weird stuff happened, it just made it bad...

Dude! No spoilers!

I honestly think (although the creators will SWEAR it's not true) that the "end game" was figured out, and they changed how it ended because of this. The story completion wasn't good and the big change in direction was felt...

I did like the mysteries and the clues that were left here and there, but looking back, the show likely won't age well as other shows have done a similar format, but did it better.

I stopped watching the show when they began introducing "red shirt" characters. People that were supposedly on the plane and have been on the island the whole time, but I guess weren't interesting enough to show for the first couple of seasons. In addition, once I realized that they couldn't possibly tie all of the loose ends together, that was pretty much it.
  • Like 1

So, I've started watching Lost (no spoilers please!).

I'm 10 episodes in, and every one seems the same to me. People act like incredibly irrational, irresponsible, unlikeable asses with no reason or sense of self-awareness, there are flashbacks to overly dramatic events which unrealistically pertain to the current event, and then the incredibly simple problem that only exists because everyone is such an ass is solved, and the story ends with a cliff-hanger.

Does the show get better or should I just give up?

Lost was a major step forward in the strange surreal Twin Peaks type of drama. Many of the flashbacks become essential as the story builds. Tough to advise without spoilers, let's just say JJ Abrams' shows have a certain genre/reputation. I thought seasons 3 to 5 is where Lost hit its stride.

• Like 1

Virtually every problem is manufactured by people either being too secretive or being assholes for no rational reason, and I want almost every single one of them to die. Yet, I keep watching.

I'm on episode 23.

• Like 1

Most problems are happening for very important reasons. By ep 23, you are definitely up to the hatch, which is extremely important in the Islands back-story and surrealism. The hatch Must be dealt with. I thought Jack, Kate, Sawyer and Locke were compelling characters, but the best of them all doesn't appear til seas two or three. JJs brilliance is how he crafts surreal dense layered complex stories, each season is like its own book, and the books are connected , each have their own focus. He perfected this in Fringe and influences Person of Interest, the best tv serials IMHO.If you are in it for the Tom Hanks castaway vibe, you will agree with Zumbi. If you have any interest to the attributes I am bringing up, as the seasons progress, it became a show unlike any other on tv at the time. So many shows now need to thank lost and twin peaks for opening the door. Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

Virtually every problem is manufactured by people either being too secretive or being assholes for no rational reason, and I want almost every single one of them to die. Yet, I keep watching.

I'm on episode 23.

Yup - You are right on course then.

We all felt the same way watching it. Keep us updated.

I have been binge-watching and enjoying the second season far more than the first. I feel like I'm actually learning things and that the conflicts aren't all people being assholes to each other for no reason, though that still seems to be a core component of the show.

I have been binge-watching and enjoying the second season far more than the first. I feel like I'm actually learning things and that the conflicts aren't all people being assholes to each other for no reason, though that still seems to be a core component of the show.

There is a lord of the flies component to the show. I think that is what you are referring to. JJ didn't have a choice on that, as it was direction from the network, which wanted castaway with flies. How JJ (and team) then developed such a huge canon, eventually putting his own stamp on the show is brilliant. As he was auditioning for the big leagues, Lost eventually 'led' to two huge gigs for him, one immense one that's about to start.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Halfway through the third season, and it's getting a little bit much. People again are keeping secrets for no discernible reasons and being assholes because they can. I like that I'm still learning about the island and the characters, but the action on the island is too often infuriatingly nonsensical. People refusing to say secrets to overly dramatic music and then when you learn the "secret", it was completely unworthy of the suspense.

On the whole, I am enjoying the 3rd season more than the first, but I'm only half watching as everything moves way, way too slowly.

• Like 1

Yeah, it does move slowly. That's what made watching it on Netflix fun. I recall watching an episode and waiting for the 'big story' to move and nothing happens til the last minutes of the episode. I don't know how the 17 million fans dealt with that pace on the original ABC run. Had to enjoy the drama of the week I guess.

Locke's motivations are unique and it appears he is acting irrationally, but he is acting on his plan. His story takes long to unfold. What is developing early in season 3 with Desmond is a great arc and gets very interesting as the series ages...

Halfway through the third season, and it's getting a little bit much. People again are keeping secrets for no discernible reasons and being assholes because they can. I like that I'm still learning about the island and the characters, but the action on the island is too often infuriatingly nonsensical. People refusing to say secrets to overly dramatic music and then when you learn the "secret", it was completely unworthy of the suspense.

On the whole, I am enjoying the 3rd season more than the first, but I'm only half watching as everything moves way, way too slowly.

Keep going. Your opinions are right on par with mine.

Lockes "secret" is not open...but it is a huge one. it just takes 211.2 episodes to get to it. The mystic rhythms of the show become more unique as time stands still.

Lost was a good show when it was on in prime time. It had a new way of telling the story, the characters were intriguing and the story, as far fetched as it became was as well. I was hooked.

Sure it got really crazy, stupid even, but I spent years watching it, as opposed to binge watching, and I developed a fondness for the characters and it became a real, "OMG....what's going to happen next" kind of show.

Now I've said this a thousand times, the last season sucks. At the end of season five the shows takes such a crazy left turn it becomes just stupid. It's like a totally different show. I hated it. Others have said they liked or even loved it.

Like I said, when it ran for the first time it was cool, interesting, mysterious, and great entertainment. Not so sure how well that would hold up now, just a few years later, but at the time, Lost was great.

• Like 3

Lost was a good show when it was on in prime time. It had a new way of telling the story, the characters were intriguing and the story, as far fetched as it became was as well. I was hooked.

Sure it got really crazy, stupid even, but I spent years watching it, as opposed to binge watching, and I developed a fondness for the characters and it became a real, "OMG....what's going to happen next" kind of show.

Now I've said this a thousand times, the last season sucks. At the end of season five the shows takes such a crazy left turn it becomes just stupid. It's like a totally different show. I hated it. Others have said they liked or even loved it.

Like I said, when it ran for the first time it was cool, interesting, mysterious, and great entertainment. Not so sure how well that would hold up now, just a few years later, but at the time, Lost was great.

Unlike many fans, I thought the finale was a fair ending that ended the story well. But the rest of the last season, I am with you, was not its best.

As you said, a new way of storytelling...this was a major show in terms of the serial, strange drama. JJ and ensemble further perfecting this style on Fringe, Person of Interest.

I am right before the final 3 episodes and overall I would say that I have been enjoying the series. I am generally doing something else while watching, so the slow pace doesn't kill it for me, though I'm sure I'm missing little details that true fans would have poured over. Some of the scene changes and character introductions are crazy, but I actually like how they can get into situations that feel like the story is moving forward rather than being blocked just because one person wants to be secretive or an asshole.

The Alison Janney episode was weird for me, though. I thought that story could have been told with half the episode, thus cutting off the very simple allegory that was laid out to us.

Anyway, I've even enjoyed this last season as it's interesting to see how these characters interact in other settings, but I'm not sure how essential any of this is to the core story.

On a side note, the "don't tell me what I can't do" theme was infuriating. It was obvious from a mile away, and it never seemed natural.
  • Like 1