Who makes you want to play?

Jaminbenb

I get it...this is mostly a Rush Forum, and a lot of us are Rush fans, and dig playing their tunes...but who do you listen to that makes you want to go back to your "music room" and start playing?

I got sent a link to a Jeff Porcaro video from PIT years back doing a clinic, and after he was done, I really felt like grabbing the sticks and playing a shuffle! (and I haven't had that urge to play for a while)

Just curious what get's your musical juices flowing....

• Like 1

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/8/1/1/3811_artist.jpg?1114

http://www1.artflakes.com/artwork/products/1034838/poster/adrian-smith-2.jpg?1352298990

http://www.pncbankartscentre.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/joe-bonamassa.jpg

These three.

• Like 1

Interestingly enough, it's not other bass players that make me want to play, but just music with a great beat. It can be almost any genre, but if it moves me emotionally, it usually makes me want to play along.

Interestingly enough, it's not other bass players that make me want to play, but just music with a great beat. It can be almost any genre, but if it moves me emotionally, it usually makes me want to play along.

I get that...I actually get motivated by certain key's players, also...styles of music, too...but the people that really want to make me go sit behind my kit are guys like Vinnie Coliauta, Jeff Porcaro, Ian Paice (saw him live with Gary Moore years back, and was amazed! Wasn't a huge Deep Purple fan, but when I heard that gig...wow!)

I was blown out FINALLY seeing Vinnie with Sting last year around this time (Sting and Paul Simon did a show together) and sat behind my drums every day for a few weeks...(I just need a gig...no time)

These Porcaro video's I've been watching are giving me some inspiration...

• Like 1

^^^ Who is the second guitarist?

Adrian Smith, one of the 3 from Iron Maiden. His tone and style have inspired my playing more than any other guitarist. Lerxst has as well but his is more subtle and comes in more of how I utilize space with my playing. Joe has been a favorite since I stumbled upon the Royal Albert Hall with my dad about a year ago, whose tone is stellar and his music is the shit.

Here is one of the finest songs Iron Maiden has ever written, Paschendale from 2003. Truly epic song about a battle from World War I (or so I think, I Wikipedia'd the name cause I don't know the lyrics) and this live performance is quite the spectacle. Adrian was one of the main writers of this song. If you don't want to listen to the whole song (but I highly recommend you do) guitar solos start at 6:30 and Adrian's is the second, which starts at 7:20.

http://youtu.be/Z2pxaiXy_Go

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 2

Maiden is a great live band! Saw them back in 1982 when they did the dual headline tour with Judas Priest...(On the Number of the Beast tour) Probably one of the more technical metal bands out there!

I've been getting a lot of stuff re: Bonnamassa, and haven;'s dug into it yet, though...

It IS cool that you're a Lifeson fan...not a lot of guitar players I know dig him to that point!

I get it...this is mostly a Rush Forum, and a lot of us are Rush fans, and dig playing their tunes...but who do you listen to that makes you want to go back to your "music room" and start playing?

I got sent a link to a Jeff Porcaro video from PIT years back doing a clinic, and after he was done, I really felt like grabbing the sticks and playing a shuffle! (and I haven't had that urge to play for a while)

Just curious what get's your musical juices flowing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwyO1qr0edI

Beautiful.

• Like 2

Yeah...watching the Porcaro stuff right now...amazing guy...shame his life ended too soon!

Been a Toto fan a few years less then Rush, but I still remember the first day I heard Their first album....JEEEEZIS my drumming life was changed!

Don't get me wrong...Neil taught me a LOT, but when I realized that there were other guys out there (starting with Zappa, and Toto, etc.) I just got a LOT better in what I was doing!

• Like 1

What's also funny...I was at a Super Bowl party years back with a bunch of people I marched drum corps, and taught high school bands with...and they did a commercial break with Rosanna on it...when they came back it was the part before they did a "Meet you all the way...." chorus when he did the cool drum break....ALL of the drummers in the room air drummed it, and it was one of those AMAZING moments in life that you'll never forget! hahaha!!!

Jeff was a "god"! No doubt!

Many guitarists can make inspirado surge within my veins, but to name a few: Alex, Adam Jones, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, Adrian Smith, Jus Oborn, and Josh Homme
  • Like 1

^^^ Who is the second guitarist?

Adrian Smith, one of the 3 from Iron Maiden. His tone and style have inspired my playing more than any other guitarist. Lerxst has as well but his is more subtle and comes in more of how I utilize space with my playing. Joe has been a favorite since I stumbled upon the Royal Albert Hall with my dad about a year ago, whose tone is stellar and his music is the shit.

Here is one of the finest songs Iron Maiden has ever written, Paschendale from 2003. Truly epic song about a battle from World War I (or so I think, I Wikipedia'd the name cause I don't know the lyrics) and this live performance is quite the spectacle. Adrian was one of the main writers of this song. If you don't want to listen to the whole song (but I highly recommend you do) guitar solos start at 6:30 and Adrian's is the second, which starts at 7:20.

http://youtu.be/Z2pxaiXy_Go

I'd never really heard any of their stuff until a few years ago when the guitarist in my band gave me a CD of their music. I like a lot of it. I hadn't heard this particular one before. Not bad. :)

Warren Haynes is probably at the top of my list

Lifeson

Page

Allman

Garcia

Black Crowes as well. I guess it doesn't matter if it is Rich, Ford, or Dickinson. Dickinson being my favorite.

Howe (was big into Yes in the early 90s. not so much now)

Love me some Hendrix, but doesn't inspire me to play that much, because if I try to imitate anything he does, I get discouraged as I quickly learn that I am nowhere near being in his league and question if we are from the same planet. (same idea as above post)

• Like 1

On drums:

Neil, of course

Steve Gorman (Black Crowes)

Matt Abts (Gov't Mule)

Clyde Stubblefield (James Brown's band, around 1967-'68)

And I know there are a ton of other drummers I'm not thinking of right now.

The first person who made me want to play guitar was Ray LaMontagne- and I can play some of his songs.

John Mayer

Jim Croce

Tim Hardin

The guys who I listen to and my jaw just hits the floor, wishing I could do anything close to what they do are:

Alex Lifeson, of course

Derek Trucks

Rich Robinson and Marc Ford, both

Steve Howe, definitely

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Eric Johnson. No one plays like him. I watch the instructional videos and simply think "he's not of this earth".

He's a super-nice guy. He rented a rehearsal room in the complex where one of my bands did some recording. Whenever I had a free moment, I'd go hang out outside his room and listen to him and his band work on songs for what would become Ah Via Musicom. I ran into him in the halls a couple of times and he handled my "dude, you're so f***ing good" gushings with class.