Ray Danniels Weighs In on a "Final?" tour.

mandydog

It's a little bit scary to read the full interview. I know it's his job, but Ray sounds like he'd kill his mom to get another dollar.
  • Like 1

It's a little bit scary to read the full interview. I know it's his job, but Ray sounds like he'd kill his mom to get another dollar.

I got that feeling as well, but I'm always a little biased against business-y things. Didn't Ray also call Rush "washed up hasbeens" or something at one point?

The more we hear, as the tour gets closer, I think this is it.

All signs point to a 'Drift off into the sunset'...

No announcement, no OFFICIAL word...leaving us to wonder to hope.

I think at this point even the bad does not know. I have a feeling they will decide during the tour.

And I feel with every quote Neil has, his priorities have changed.

His family is #1, the band is # 2 and no once can fault him or any of the guys for walking away.

So it sounds like this is pretty much a farewell tour even though it's not being labeled as such :(

Sounds like a sign to see if I can get tickets for more shows, since I might not have another chance.

I think after this tour they are done for a long time. Maybe a huge show somewhere they hold like 100,000 people and everyone will merge across the planet to see them. Music is in their blood till they die. Don't think they will have a choice.

I got that feeling as well, but I'm always a little biased against business-y things. Didn't Ray also call Rush "washed up hasbeens" or something at one point?

Yes. In the nineties. I could never understand why Rush kept a manager who thought they were so washed up and out.

I think after this tour they are done for a long time. Maybe a huge show somewhere they hold like 100,000 people and everyone will merge across the planet to see them. Music is in their blood till they die. Don't think they will have a choice.

Someone could always pull a Ritchie Blackmore.

Dude played Rock and Roll for 40 years then walked away.

Dude plays Renaissance fairs every summer for fun.

Like any sane person could have fun at a Renaissance fair.

Unless they had some mead

So it sounds like this is pretty much a farewell tour even though it's not being labeled as such :(

Sounds like a sign to see if I can get tickets for more shows, since I might not have another chance.

I'd be going to the St. Louis show for sure and possibly the Chicago show if I wasn't abroad. Thankfully at least Kansas City is in July.

Yes. In the nineties. I could never understand why Rush kept a manager who thought they were so washed up and out.

What prompted him to say such a thing?

Not entirely sure, but WTF does he know, he was managing Van Halen with f***ing Gary Cherone at the time :LOL:

• Like 2

In fairness, most of the comments Ray supposedly said to Sammy were basically true:

""Ray even bad-mouthed Rush to me," said an incredulous Hagar. "Can you

believe it? He was saying shit like, 'If they had a good singer, they

could have made it on pop radio.' He was telling me that with the kind

of music they play, Rush would never be any more than they already have

been. I started hammering him with questions. I said, 'Ray, Rush should

have been the Canadian Led Zeppelin. Why don't they sell records? Why

did their last record only do 400,000 or 500,000 records?' He said to

me, 'If they only had a singer.'"

The "washed up" stuff was supposedly told to Alex VH and then Alex told Sammy. And, of course, we know the last album only did 400-500k because it was Counterparts. I mean, who could sell that piece?

Supposedly he said this to convince VH that they would be his #1 band and to explain why Counterparts wasn't selling well. However, this was all 3rd hand and related by someone who was arguing as strongly as possible not to have a business relationship with him.

• Like 1

In the full interview, Ray thanks the stars that ticket prices have skyrocketed. I understand the point (revenue is needed as album sales don't generate it), but still, thanking VIP packages, high prices, and skipping any non-essential markets seems cold. Edited by LedRush
  • Like 1

Supposedly he said this to convince VH that they would be his #1 band and to explain why Counterparts wasn't selling well. However, this was all 3rd hand and related by someone who was arguing as strongly as possible not to have a business relationship with him.

It is also hard to find much about it on the internet. I spent hours one day trying to verify the story.

I still would like to know why they would have kept a manager that thought they were washed up in the early nineties. Ray must be good at what he does. Plus, he knows where all of their skeletons are buried probably. :LOL:

In the full interview, Ray thanks the stars that ticket prices have skyrocketed. I understand the point (revenue is needed as album sales don't generate it), but still, thanking VIP packages, high prices, and skipping any non-essential markets seems cold.

It's not a business for the warm of heart.

• Like 2

It is also hard to find much about it on the internet. I spent hours one day trying to verify the story.

I still would like to know why they would have kept a manager that thought they were washed up in the early nineties. Ray must be good at what he does. Plus, he knows where all of their skeletons are buried probably. :LOL:

I think the point is that what someone angry at Ray (Sammy) says that Ray said to someone else that is angry with Sammy (Alex VH) may not be the most reliable source. My guess is that Ray never said anything worse than that some people are turned off by Ged's voice, which is pretty indisputably true.

I can't even imagine them not touring. It would be a huge loss for the world. But if Neil needs to stop so he can be with his daughter, at least that is a truly nobel cause. I have two kids slightly older then his. I can not imagine spending that much time away from them. So whatever they decide, I will stand behind them. But really, everybody, go this tour. Just in case.
  • Like 1

I've been doing this for 40 years. I know how to compartmentalize, and I can stand missing her, but I can’t stand her missing me and it’s painful and impossible to understand for her. How can a small child process that?

The quintessential reason for calling it quits.....