"Least Glorious" to ???? - Round 14

• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your LEAST favorite album (72 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your least favorite

1. 2112 (26 votes [36.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.11%

2. A Farewell to Kings (8 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Hemispheres (6 votes [8.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. Permanent Waves (1 votes [1.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.39%

5. Moving Pictures (3 votes [4.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

6. Signals (28 votes [38.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:31 PM

View PostBlue J, on 10 March 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 March 2015 - 12:23 PM, said:

View PostBlue J, on 10 March 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 March 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

I don't care what anyone thinks about Signals.  The Weapon is one of THE best songs Rush ever did.

I voted for the sappy 2112.  :)

Sappy? :huh:
Maybe sappy wasn't the right word.  How about awful?  :joker:

:o

To each her own...
That's the spirit, and that's what I say too!  :cheers:

Sponsored Post

#42 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21752 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:33 PM

View PostStormtron, on 10 March 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

The old talk is hilarious considering the newest album on this list is still over 30 years old. :D

Posted Image

It's time to leave Rush to the 120 year olds!

Wernstrom!!!    :D

#43 toscanobarga

toscanobarga

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 831 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

The whole "you're pro synth" thing is just stupid.

There's good and bad in pre- and post- synth periods.

eg,

COS, pre synth, bad
2112, pre synth, good

Presto, post synth, bad
Signals, post synth, good

#44 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17663 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

View Posttoscanobarga, on 10 March 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

eg,

COS, pre synth, bad
2112, pre synth, good

Presto, post synth, bad

I agree that it's flimsy ground upon which to stake one's claim. To wit- I don't agree at all with your particular opinions about those albums, above.

And that's entirely the point!

:cheers:

#45 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24832 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:00 PM

The whole "CoS is bad" thing is just stupid.

Agreed.

#46 toscanobarga

toscanobarga

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 831 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

View PostLedRush, on 10 March 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

The whole "Synth is bad" thing is just stupid.

Agreed.

Who'da thunk to modify a posted quote.......

#47 toscanobarga

toscanobarga

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 831 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

View PostBlue J, on 10 March 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

eg,

COS, pre synth, bad
2112, pre synth, good

Presto, post synth, bad

I agree that it's flimsy ground upon which to stake one's claim. To wit- I don't agree at all with your particular opinions about those albums, above.

And that's entirely the point!

:cheers:

yup.

#48 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 24832 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:09 PM

View Posttoscanobarga, on 10 March 2015 - 01:08 PM, said:

Agreed.

I actually agree with that modified post.

#49 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42085 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:09 PM

Agreed.

No one here.

#50 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

View Posttoscanobarga, on 10 March 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

What exactly are the problems people have with synths ?

The only true organic music is acoustic, anything you hear that is amplified is basically a processed electronic signal, whether it's just te volume, or Alex's effects pedals, etc.

Keys are no different in that regard.

1. diversity is scary
2. rush fans in the 70s probably got made fun of for being dorks. when rush started making music that "cool kids" could potentially like, I'm sure it was a big big turnoff (but, but, this actually sold COPIES! I can't listen to this), and thats why iron maiden and dio became the new official D&D soundtrack bands when signals came out.
3. the only keyboards acceptable in a rock song are swirling church organs...for some reason.

I'm being an ass, but surely you know the real reason why some people like the heavier stuff more than the synth stuff?

#51 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:19 PM

View PostLorraine, on 10 March 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

I'm a douchebag!

No, I'm a douchebag!!

No one here.

#52 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:25 PM

anyway, I voted 2112.  it's got tears, which is the worst song on any of these records. the song 2112 is more exciting than all of signals but as an album signals obviously beats it. and signals is still very much a guitar album and the logical next step for the group after moving pictures.

old rush fans, did any of you expect more 20 minute songs after moving pictures? or a return to music that sounded like led zeppelin? I understand signals was probably a shock to hear at the time, but as someone who didn't hear it til 2010 does it really seem like synthesizer overload compared to moving pictures, which also had synthesizers?

#53 toscanobarga

toscanobarga

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 831 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:28 PM

View Postbathory, on 10 March 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

The only true organic music is acoustic, anything you hear that is amplified is basically a processed electronic signal, whether it's just te volume, or Alex's effects pedals, etc.

1. diversity is scary
2. rush fans in the 70s probably got made fun of for being dorks. when rush started making music that "cool kids" could potentially like, I'm sure it was a big big turnoff (but, but, this actually sold COPIES! I can't listen to this), and thats why iron maiden and dio became the new official D&D soundtrack bands when signals came out.
3. the only keyboards acceptable in a rock song are swirling church organs...for some reason.

I'm being an ass, but surely you know the real reason why some people like the heavier stuff more than the synth stuff?

I prefer good synth over bad heavy

And good heavy over bad synth

The label/genre isn't meaningful to me, maybe because my music collection/listening habits aren't one dimensional ?

#54 Rutlefan

Rutlefan

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1927 posts
  • Interests:Things that roll and fly, esp. Alfa Romeo (God I love Alfas; it's an illness); Tolkien, classic sci-fi, history and such

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

"rush fans in the 70s probably got made fun of for being dorks. when rush started making music that "cool kids" could potentially like, I'm sure it was a big big turnoff."

Of course you are overstating the dorky vs cool split; plenty of cool people liked Rush, it just depended on who you thought was cool. If hipsters defined who was cool then they certainly weren't cool, but hipsters have always been an insular bunch important only to themselves. I saw MP as expanding Rush's supposed base from mostly "freaks" (long hair, baseball t's, herbal hobbies) to include "jocks" (you know the type, Van Halen's "Higher and Higher" is the most inspirational song ever, before AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" came along anyway). But like most Rush fans in actuality, I was neither a freak nor a jock so when Rush became liked by jocks after being mostly the supposed possession of the freaks (I am writing like life was a John Hughes movie) I hardly noticed or cared. My main reaction was being psyched that my favorite band was getting mainstream recognition. When MP went to #3 on the charts I couldn't believe it, it felt awesome. It was like in sports seeing a perennial underdog finally kick some *ss. You cheer for them, especially if they're your team. MP's success was great, like seeing your team win a championship. You also got to rub it in the face of the anti-Rush crowd. Good times.

Edited by Rutlefan, 10 March 2015 - 01:49 PM.

#55 Rutlefan

Rutlefan

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1927 posts
  • Interests:Things that roll and fly, esp. Alfa Romeo (God I love Alfas; it's an illness); Tolkien, classic sci-fi, history and such

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

"old rush fans, did any of you expect more 20 minute songs after moving pictures? or a return to music that sounded like led zeppelin? I understand signals was probably a shock to hear at the time, but as someone who didn't hear it til 2010 does it really seem like synthesizer overload compared to moving pictures, which also had synthesizers? "

Did MP have 20 minute songs, or music that sounded like Led Zeppelin? That's a false dichotomy. I didn't expect an album with songs like Chemistry, Digital Man, and The Weapon which all kind of sounded similar to me in style and approach, unlike the diversity of YYZ, Limelight, and The Camera Eye.

Edited by Rutlefan, 10 March 2015 - 01:44 PM.

#56 tx_rush

tx_rush

I am Cornholio!

• Members *
  • 5754 posts
  • Interests:playing music, baseball, fishing, hunting

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:35 PM

Well, this vote is pretty painful. The vote is for.....signals. Signals is a great album, top to bottom. Normally that beats an album that is top heavy. However, the title track of 2112 is so epic that it wins.

I actually like the synth era, but CoS - Moving Pictures is cream of the Rush catalog

#57 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

View Posttoscanobarga, on 10 March 2015 - 01:28 PM, said:

View Postbathory, on 10 March 2015 - 01:16 PM, said:

1. diversity is scary

I prefer good synth over bad heavy

And good heavy over bad synth

The label/genre isn't meaningful to me, maybe because my music collection/listening habits aren't one dimensional ?

you asked, I answered. I can't tell you if your taste is one dimensional or not, but I figure since you said black sabbath had no melody (same group that wrote sabbath bloody sabbath, heaven and hell, etc) you might have pretty bad taste. who knows

#58 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostRutlefan, on 10 March 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

"when rush started making music that "cool kids" could potentially like, I'm sure it was a big big turnoff."

I think that dynamic holds for when a little-known but cool band becomes a mainstream success; the hipsters can't live with success. With Rush not ever being "cool" I was so psyched that my favorite band was getting mainstream recognition. When it went to #3 on the charts I couldn't believe it, it felt awesome. It was like in sports seeing a perennial underdog finally kick some *ss. You cheer for them, especially if they're your team. MP's success was great, like seeing your team win a championship. You also got to rub it in the face of the anti-Rush crowd. Good times.

that sounds like an exciting and fun thing to go through as a fan, and it's something that doesn't really happen today.

#59 Bigbobby10

Bigbobby10

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2876 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:39 PM

Going with 2112 this round, sorry, your time is up for me.

#60 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9561 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 01:43 PM

View PostRutlefan, on 10 March 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

"old rush fans, did any of you expect more 20 minute songs after moving pictures? or a return to music that sounded like led zeppelin? I understand signals was probably a shock to hear at the time, but as someone who didn't hear it til 2010 does it really seem like synthesizer overload compared to moving pictures, which also had synthesizers? "

Did MP have 20 minute songs, or music that sounded like Led Zeppelin? That's a false dichotomy. I didn't expect an album with songs like Chemistry, Digital Man, and The Weapon which all kind of sounded similar to me, unlike the diversity of YYZ, Limelight, and The Camera Eye.

I didn't say MP had 20 minute songs or zep music, I was just asking if anyone actually expected to rush to venture back in time instead of, for better or worse, forward. I'm not sure how familiar you are with metallica's music, but it's kind of like when people call load and reload "sellout" albums when, as shitty as those records are, they seem like the logical next step after the black album, because clearly another super heavy super fast thrash record wasn't gonna follow the black album. even though I would've loved for metallica to just remake their 80s stuff over and over

and personally, I think all those songs sound different. and awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users