A Farewell To Kings vs Hemispheres

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

Poll: A Farewell To Kings vs Hemispheres (93 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one is the best album?

1. A Farewell To Kings (31 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Hemispheres (62 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 18695 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

Still my fav Rush album.

Just my occasional  reminder for all of you that would be shattered if it dropped, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000, 15 May 2015 - 07:46 PM.

Sponsored Post

#102 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27928 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:49 AM

View Postbluefox4000, on 15 May 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

Still my fav Rush album.

Just my occasional  reminder for all of you that would be shattered if it dropped, lol

Mick
Wouldn't shatter me if AFTK moved ahead of it to be honest. Great album and nothing not to love on it in my view. Oh well... :)

#103 satchmothesnowdog

satchmothesnowdog

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1238 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:03 AM

View PostNarps, on 16 May 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

Still my fav Rush album.

Mick
Wouldn't shatter me if AFTK moved ahead of it to be honest. Great album and nothing not to love on it in my view. Oh well... :)
Indeed. Only test for echo belongs in the back of the catalog and maybe Snakes IMO. All the rest of their work is all top notch to me and I never tire of listening to any of it, so I never think of rating any of it. Test and Snakes, I could have lived without.

#104 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27928 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

View Postsatchmothesnowdog, on 16 May 2015 - 07:03 AM, said:

Still my fav Rush album.

Mick
Indeed. Only test for echo belongs in the back of the catalog and maybe Snakes IMO. All the rest of their work is all top notch to me and I never tire of listening to any of it, so I never think of rating any of it. Test and Snakes, I could have lived without.
You are much more kind to their catalog in its entirety than I could ever be. For me once you get past HYF its all a blur and a bit hit or miss for me. Presto 6/11, RTB mostly :scared: , CP not so good, Test For Echo I enjoy the title track but nothing else blows up my skirt. Vapor Trails has some good songs on it but the production is awful. Snakes :scared: . I enjoy about 2/3 of CA. The good 2/3. Thats how I see it. I admit however that I am old school Rush all the way and a 70's guy through and through. The early synth era I am ok with too and enjoy much of it... :codger:

Edited by Narps, 16 May 2015 - 07:11 AM.

#105 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 18106 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:43 AM

Still my fav Rush album.

Mick

I feel the same. I can say that I prefer Hemispheres, but Kings is absolutely classic, all the way.

It almost like Archie Manning watching Peyton and Eli play against each other in the Super Bowl or something. Regardless of who wins, you're happy for them. :)

#106 satchmothesnowdog

satchmothesnowdog

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1238 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:02 AM

View PostNarps, on 16 May 2015 - 07:10 AM, said:

View Postsatchmothesnowdog, on 16 May 2015 - 07:03 AM, said:

Still my fav Rush album.

Mick
You are much more kind to their catalog in its entirety than I could ever be. For me once you get past HYF its all a blur and a bit hit or miss for me. Presto 6/11, RTB mostly :scared: , CP not so good, Test For Echo I enjoy the title track but nothing else blows up my skirt. Vapor Trails has some good songs on it but the production is awful. Snakes :scared: . I enjoy about 2/3 of CA. The good 2/3. Thats how I see it. I admit however that I am old school Rush all the way and a 70's guy through and through. The early synth era I am ok with too and enjoy much of it... :codger:

Some of it lost me after Presto for a long while. I kept going to see them live and it grew on me, but never Test or Snakes. I, too am more HYF to Rush backwards type of fan due to my age.

#107 Scatterbrain

Scatterbrain

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, cars, girls, dining on honeydew, etc

Posted 17 May 2015 - 04:29 PM

To me Hemispheres is a perfect album. Xanadu might just be my favourite Rush song but I don't personally feel that AFTK makes for the same roller coaster of a listen that Hemispheres does.

#108 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

The Dad Abides

• Members
  • 10647 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:11 PM

AFTK Is funky cold medieval.

Hemi is proto prog metal.

Hemi

#109 CountFloyd84

CountFloyd84

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Weight lifting, music, videogames

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

Both are utterly superb albums and rank among my favorites from Rush, although Hemispheres wins it---my favoirte all-time Rush album, and an absolute masterpiece and brilliant showcase for all three members.

A Farewell To Kings is fantastic too, however. I rank both up there with the likes of Genesis' Trick of the Tail/Wind & Wuthering and Yes's 'Going for the One.'

#110 Texas King

Texas King

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1990 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

Hemispheres by a hair. Hemispheres is my second fave Rush album, while AFTK is third.

#111 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

The Seeker

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

My god the band could barely play cohesively on AFTK.

Hemispheres by a nautical mile.

#112 tot

tot

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:God, Jesus Christ, The Holy Spirit, family, friends, community, world, music(Christian and secular), rush

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

of course they're both great, but you can't beat a farewell to kings, xanadu, and cygnus x-1.

#113 Derek19

Derek19

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:I like listening to music, watch movies I think look, and are really good, exercise, read, and computers including learning more about them, and what to do.

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:10 PM

This is another one comparison between two c.ds, and albums, which shouldn't have the deciding need to be.  On "A Farewell to Kings", there has always been "Cygnus X-1: Book One - the Voyage", and on "Hemispheres", there has always been "Cygnus X-1: Book Two - Hemispheres".

Edited by Derek19, 28 March 2019 - 06:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users