Tom Sawyer vs. The Spirit Of Radio

Entre_Perpetuo

Tom Sawyer vs. The Spirit of Radio  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Tom Sawyer vs. The Spirit of Radio

Since I've seen several other new threads around here pitting Rush's best songs sharing similar qualities against each other, I thought I'd start the arguably most obvious showdown. Rush's two best known and most heavily played songs. Each so different, each so unique, but each so connected to the other by the winds of fate! Which shall win?

I can't decide.

The Spirit of Radio is such a classic, and a mini epic in its own right chocked full of riffage and crazy funky new age summery goodness!

But

Tom Sawyer is the one song Rush have declared they have to play at every concert from the time of its release onward, and it's got such a cool and weird sound to it with that metronomic feel and one of Neil's most incredible drum performances

Maybe if they play them both on the next tour I'll decide when I see them live.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

The Spirit of Radio Wins. Better (not to mention one of the hardest) riff, better chorus, better variety, and crowd participation at concerts. Tom Sawyers only victories are it's synth line, drum solo, and...well basically the whole middle section.

Both great but I've always loved TSOR whereas I always has slightly mixed feelings about Tom Sawyer, recognizing it's a great song, a monster album opener, but never being that into it for whatever reason. For me it always served chiefly to set the table for Red Barchetta. TSOR.

I think "Tom Sawyer" is the better song.

They should play both songs on the next tour.

What are the odds of THAT???

• Like 1

I'll wager 10,000 bars of gold pressed latinum that both will be played. IMO the crowd seems to enjoy TSOR more I know I do.

So cool to see TS struggle. That do.do.do.do.do.do key line is their most embarrassing, and it's unfortunate that's what the general rock community hears on the radio. TS is not a good representation of their catalogue, which is fine, the song does have its merits, but it is the most exposed. Non Rush fans from their opinion on that tune, which is unfortunate.

^ I don't understand most of that post.

Edit: Misread this, thought the poster was talking about TSOR. The pitfalls of posting while entertaining pre-schoolers. Now I get it.Never liked the "do do do" thing either. When anti-Rush kids in school would make their arguments they woudl often point to that.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

So cool to see TS struggle. That do.do.do.do.do.do key line is their most embarrassing, and it's unfortunate that's what the general rock community hears on the radio. TS is not a good representation of their catalogue, which is fine, the song does have its merits, but it is the most exposed. Non Rush fans from their opinion on that tune, which is unfortunate.

Gemini, is that you?

Tough call... TS IS classic RUSH, just the way it starts is so unique. However, TSOR has the best lyrics ever and I just had to go with that song. It would nice if they played them both come this May in Tampa. Edited by g under p

The Spirit Of Radio. Perfection. My favorite Rush song.

Clearly a man with superior taste, tell me aboot your favorite cigar, Scotch, wine and muscle car.

Actually was thinking about comparing these two head to head while out at dinner. Full disclosure: I rate tSOR as very good, TS as good, but points taken away because it is their signature radio song but not a fair representation of their catalogue. Defending those do do do do sawyer keys to hard rock non Rush fans...

Anyway, the poll made me think about the #2 radio songs on each album. Both have faded in air play over the years, which is very unfortunate, because both of these tunes are superior and represent the catalogue fairly. That's all we can expect from radio tunes??

I speak of course of Red Barchetta and Freewill.