Permanent Waves vs Moving Pictures

YYZumbi

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best album?

Until recently I would have said MP without hesitating because side 1 is perfect and is has (arguably) Rush's broadest appeal. Non-Rush fans generally seem to name it as the album they like, similar to non-Zeppelin fans usually naming IV as their best album. If a UFO landed and wanted a representative album from every band I think MP would be the Rush offering.

But, I've come to appreciate MP's side 2 less over the years (it's good but not great) whereas I've come to really appreciate PeW's perfect consistency throughout. The quality of PeW's writing might lie somewhere between MP side 1 and side 2, but I think it lies closer to side 1, making it a better overall album even if it does not have the same broad appeal of MP. No a weak moment on PeW whereas I think The Camera Eye and Witch Hunt are "maintenance" songs -- fit well within the flow of the album and hold up their end, but I wouldn't grab either one for a mix. Every song on PeW, on the other hand, is mix worthy.

So,I'll go with PeW, but two great albums obviously, Rush's pinnacle.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

MP wins in atmosphere. It's darker and always seemed like a perfect nighttime album to me. Good night driving music. PeW is more fun and packs a lot of their crazy prog shit in a more concise form. Really, listen to SoR, Freewill, and Natural Science...still full tilt Rush, just more accessible. Both albums are straight 10s, but I give the edge to PeW because Natural Science is just too f***ing good.
  • Like 2

For me, it's a matter of comparing each album's most minor song (notice I didn't say 'weakest', because I don't think there is anything on either album that I would ever call weak).

So (again, just from my point of view), this pits Different Strings against Witch Hunt. And I think Witch Hunt wins that battle.

So...Moving Pictures it is.

But I'd say out of the total of thirteen songs on both albums, ten of them are absolute five-star miracles, all the way.

Permanent Waves would get my vote however MP has my second favorite RUSH song The Camera Eye. So I reluclantly give my vote too MP. Edited by g under p

For me, it's a matter of comparing each album's most minor song (notice I didn't say 'weakest', because I don't think there is anything on either album that I would ever call weak).

So (again, just from my point of view), this pits Different Strings against Witch Hunt. And I think Witch Hunt wins that battle.

So...Moving Pictures it is.

But I'd say out of the total of thirteen songs on both albums, ten of them are absolute five-star miracles, all the way.

I'd give 12 of the 13 songs five out of five, and Different Strings four and a half.

• Like 2

The Spirit of Radio vs. Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill vs. Red Barchetta/YYZ

Red Barchetta/YYZ

Jacob's Ladder vs Limelight

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous vs. The Camera Eye

The Camera Eye

Different Strings vs. Witch Hunt

Different Strings

Natural Science vs. Vital Signs

Natural Science

Permanent Waves: 8/10

Moving Picturez: 6/10

The Spirit of Radio vs. Tom Sawyer

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill vs. Red Barchetta/YYZ

Red Barchetta/YYZ

Jacob's Ladder vs Limelight

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous vs. The Camera Eye

The Camera Eye

Different Strings vs. Witch Hunt

Different Strings

Natural Science vs. Vital Signs

Natural Science

Permanent Waves: 8/10

Moving Picturez: 6/10

To me, both these albums are perfect (Rush have way to many albums that I just cannot fault). But MP has Red Barchetta and Witch Hunt.

Easy. Moving Pictures every time!

Moving Pictures. "The Camera Eye" is among my fave songs by Rush. Also, MP is in my top five Rush albums. I sense a stronger diversity among the songs on MP than I do on Permanent Waves. The sound on MP is warmer, for lack of a better description.

Ratings hm. I'll give it a shot.

PeW

TSOR: 10

Freewill: 10

JL: 10

EN: 8.5

DS: 9

NS: 11 (shh)

Total: 9.75

MP:

TS: 10

RB: 10

YYZ: 10

Limelight: 10

TCE: 9

WH: 8

VS: 9.5

Total: 9.5

PeW for the win!

Both albums are so excellent, but to me Moving Pictures stands tall as the better of the two. In my opinion, the instruments sounded better on MP than on any other album. It's the pinnacle of the 3-piece "sound" they had been perfecting up until that point. The songwriting speaks for itself. It's just a masterpiece.
  • Like 2

Moving Pictures is as close to a perfect record as you can get. The recording is sonically amazing; rich, yet not overdone. Somehow it has the quality of being both full and stark at the same time. The songwriting is a perfect blend of pop and prog. The greater use of keyboards is probably what sets these two albums apart the most for me. The synths on MP are nothing short of iconic. It's hard to even find a board that doesn't have a Tom Sawyer patch, and then there's the Camera Eye... Maybe the best they ever blended analog polysynth with guitars. While Permanent Waves might be more meaningful in the context of Rush, Moving Pictures is certainly more meaningful in the broader context of music. It embodies something bigger than the sum of it's parts. It invited so many new people to the party. So much so, that it is easy to overlook and not pick it as a favorite album.

I don't...

Edited by graxxus

I can't tell you why, but Permanent Waves is wonderful but I never, ever desire to play it. Like, ever.

But when I do it blows me away. Moving Pictures is one of my top four albums from Rush, perfect from start to finish, and I can play it whenever.

As an older person and fan and even as much as I think Moving Pictures is an excellent album start to finish it still signaled at least to me at the time the beginning of the end. For the many however it was just the beginning and I can understand that too... :codger:
  • Like 1

As an older person and fan and even as much as I think Moving Pictures is an excellent album start to finish it still signaled at least to me at the time the beginning of the end. For the many however it was just the beginning and I can understand that too... :codger:

I think Vital Signs, from the first time I ever heard the album, was a clear sign that change was on the horizon. I still think Signals was a major weak point in the bands history, but surprisingly I think GUP-HYF is the equal to MP (but personally, I do prefer the guitar heavy era).