Would you trade the entire PoW-S&A era of albums for one more album as good as those in the 2112-MP era?

laughedatbytime

Epic question  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade the entire PoW-S&A era of albums for one more album as good as those in the 2112-MP era?

• Yes
    • No

So many "fans" seem to want Rush to be an oldies act. At least it appears that way...

There's a reason CA wasn't included on this list. That album shows that even at their relatively advanced age, they are STILL capable of greatness. It's unfortunate that it took 28 years after p/g to fully show it. That makes the fact that they released Presto and S&A during that period even more maddening.

I just posted my Snakes & Arrows edit in the 45 Minute Album thread. I really like the songs I picked, though they are nowhere in the league of Moving Pictures side 1 or Hemispheres side 2. I can do the same for every album post-Grace Under Pressure. It's all personal preference, isn't it?

No your not a real fan then of course ;) :P

Mick

Please. No one has mocked the "real fan" bullshit more than I have. Maybe Lorraine...

just having fun. It's cool if you like a certain period. ;)

Mick

• Like 1

So many "fans" seem to want Rush to be an oldies act. At least it appears that way...

There's a reason CA wasn't included on this list. That album shows that even at their relatively advanced age, they are STILL capable of greatness. It's unfortunate that it took 28 years after p/g to fully show it. That makes the fact that they released Presto and S&A during that period even more maddening.

I just posted my Snakes & Arrows edit in the 45 Minute Album thread. I really like the songs I picked, though they are nowhere in the league of Moving Pictures side 1 or Hemispheres side 2. I can do the same for every album post-Grace Under Pressure. It's all personal preference, isn't it?

Mick

Please. No one has mocked the "real fan" bullshit more than I have. Maybe Lorraine...

Mick

:cheers:

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Unless it's Presto.

:moon:

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Unless it's Counterparts

WOW we agree BC :dweez:

Mick

Mick

Mick

Unless it's Presto

Mick

The battle rages on :madra:

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

Unless it's CA

Mick

The battle rages on :madra:

:D-13:

Mick

Absolutely would. I seldom listen to PoW - S&A unless it is a shuffle. Very glad you didnt' put CA in there because (as you pointed out) I love that album. I am a Rush fan because of Rush-MP. It would be like finding the holy grail to have another album of epicness from that era. The more I think about it (and now that time has passed), the more I think that CA is the best since MP. I am a fan of S&A and do occasionally put that one on. Made me question my original hunch, but would love to have another classic album. Edited by apetersvt
  • Like 1

I'd have to say no because if CA is their last album then its a pretty strong finish.
  • Like 2

Good topic. Yes, in a heartbeat, though I'd miss a good part of VT and S&A.
  • Like 1

Other than 2112 most of "the epics" from the FBN-Hemispheres era don't give me wood. It seems the "hit singles" and Xanadu are what I find special so no I'm not making that trade. Edited by JohnRogers

MP-Presto is spotless. No way.

RTB-CA, minus VT, yes. I would trade.

Questions like this are so freaking presumptuous it's silly.

Not everybody agrees that the all the albums from 2112-MP inclusive are their best.

I happen to be one of those. So NO, I wouldn't trade PoW for example which I consider a top 3 album for another 2112 which is an album I appreciate for it's spot in the history of RUSH, but I certainly do NOT love (or even like on some days).

No. No I wouldn't. Six of my top ten lie between Signals and Snakes. Seven if you were to count Clockwork Angels. Edited by Disk98
  • Like 1

Ask this same question from Test for Echo thru CA?

And I am on board.

Not a chance. Enough good material in all those albums for three classic ones. I almost include RTB with the greats.

You're far too old and cynical to emotionally bond with an album at that level any more. So an album that meets your fantasy standards is not possible.

I think there's some truth to this statement. I pride my self on staying as open minded as possible with new music and I like a lot of new bands, but, as good as I might think an album is (e.g. Deerhunter's Halcyon Digest), I never connect with it quite like I did with albums from my younger days.

It's not a presumptuous question at all. He's asking a question. Everyone is free to answer yes or no. Nothing presumptuous about that.

You're absolutely right...just like it would be presumptuous to think that Snaked is a Walmart Wolverine when he may actually be handing out fries with Elvis at Burger King in Kalamazoo.

• Like 1