Would you trade the entire PoW-S&A era of albums for one more album as good as those in the 2112-MP era?

laughedatbytime

Epic question  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade the entire PoW-S&A era of albums for one more album as good as those in the 2112-MP era?

• Yes
    • No

PoW & HYF are 2 of their best albums. Presto, S & A and Counterparts are all very good. Give them up? Hell no!!!!

Agree about PoW, Snakes, and Counterparts. Strongly disagree about Presto, and I wouldn't call HYF one of their best by a longshot, but it has some very good songs.

At least half of Test For Echo is very good, and Vapor Trails is quite the achievement.

• Like 1

Hell no. Missing Signals, Power Windows HYF, presto......which i love so shut up, lol.......no thanks. To many great songs/albums to give up. Not fond of the 90's or recent records......but who cares?

You can take back p/g though, lol'

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Being that I cannot even count the number of fantastic live shows I have seem in that time frame.

That would mean no R30 tour, VT tour, S&A tour just to name a few.

HELL NO!

Albums, not tours. The tours remain in place as is, with the songs that were recorded. This would make the tours even better, with only classic songs...

LABT your Gemini is showing in this thread, bro.

;)

Nah, I don't hate Neil and I realize there are some good songs (though very very few during the time period that are as good as anything from the Golden Era). For example, name seven songs during that era that would be as good together as just the seven songs on MP. Or put together 40 minutes of music from PoW-S&A, in aggregate, that's as good as Hemispheres.

never got the whole 'new rush is bad' thing, the dynamic progression through the band's catalogue is unrivalled in any genre of music in my view, the guy's never got stale always pushing the envelope and through the decades has been really exciting to see. when each album came along it was like wow this is different and you're talking about the same band. round about the PoW era i too wondered if the band was getting too 'pop' but after a while realised they were just taking a step too far for the likes of me and it just took a little time to catch up. thats what genius' do, they mystify and confuse you occasionally.

i eventually began to love the pop kinda feel of rush in 80s especially, the frivolous look of the band with the hairstyles and fancy jackets etc added a kind of dark edge to it all as i knew how plain deep they really were, these fellas aren't your usual rock n roll outfit and the pastel colours emphasised the fact. Hold Your Fire is one of the darkest albums you can listen to by any group yet the guys looked like NSYNC it was crazy sh*t.

it's been a genuine joy seeing the evolution of this band, they been as different as possible whilst not going too crazy within accepted rules of classical rock, every track showing off their technical and songwriting mastery however strange it could initially sound.

every one of the 80s and 90s albums i could have easily declared as my fav ever at the time, giving each one at least a full years airplay burning each note into my head. yeah a few of em sound a little dated maybe now coming from their particular time, but personally i hardly play them these days coz i just listened to them so much all those years ago.

if a rush head doesn't get 'new' rush my advice is do something about it coz you're not thinking right, heck i dunno find some stronger weed or summat :) coz you're not fully getting what these guys about for some reason.

would i swap all the 80s and 90s albums for one more of an earlier feel to it? just one more of any kind of sound would do but i ain't giving up a single masterpiece from the past.

• Like 3

So many "fans" seem to want Rush to be an oldies act. At least it appears that way...

There's a reason CA wasn't included on this list. That album shows that even at their relatively advanced age, they are STILL capable of greatness. It's unfortunate that it took 28 years after p/g to fully show it. That makes the fact that they released Presto and S&A during that period even more maddening.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

LABT your Gemini is showing in this thread, bro.

;)

Nah, I don't hate Neil and I realize there are some good songs (though very very few during the time period that are as good as anything from the Golden Era). For example, name seven songs during that era that would be as good together as just the seven songs on MP. Or put together 40 minutes of music from PoW-S&A, in aggregate, that's as good as Hemispheres.

I find it futile to compare any artist's peak run to what came after. Have fun doing this with any band or artist.

I do know that I can compile a playlist that I ENJOY as much as Hemispheres or Moving Pictures.

So many "fans" seem to want Rush to be an oldies act. At least it appears that way...

There's a reason CA wasn't included on this list. That album shows that even at their relatively advanced age, they are STILL capable of greatness. It's unfortunate that it took 28 years after p/g to fully show it. That makes the fact that they released Presto and S&A during that period even more maddening.

I just posted my Snakes & Arrows edit in the 45 Minute Album thread. I really like the songs I picked, though they are nowhere in the league of Moving Pictures side 1 or Hemispheres side 2. I can do the same for every album post-Grace Under Pressure. It's all personal preference, isn't it?

• Like 2

I find it futile to compare any artist's peak run to what came after. Have fun doing this with any band or artist.

Yet, CA exists and is almost up to the peak era...plot the albums on a graph and draw a line from MP, Signals, or p/g to CA...THAT'S what they were capable of. Not a single album, IMO, comes close to that line. Maybe VT comes close.

I do know that I can compile a playlist that I ENJOY as much as Hemispheres or Moving Pictures.

OK, now add AFTK, 2112, Permanent Waves, and the other one of Hemi or MP, against all the others.

I just posted my Snakes & Arrows edit in the 45 Minute Album thread. I really like the songs I picked, though they are nowhere in the league of Moving Pictures side 1 or Hemispheres side 2. I can do the same for every album post-Grace Under Pressure. It's all personal preference, isn't it?

No your not a real fan then of course ;) :P

Mick

It's all personal preference, isn't it?

Yes, of course. Just taking the temp of the board. I'm in the minority, I guess. I can live with that. :cheers:

• Like 2

No your not a real fan then of course ;) :P

Mick

Please. No one has mocked the "real fan" bullshit more than I have. Maybe Lorraine...

• Like 1

Yet, CA exists and is almost up to the peak era...plot the albums on a graph and draw a line from MP, Signals, or p/g to CA...THAT'S what they were capable of. Not a single album, IMO, comes close to that line. Maybe VT comes close.

OK, now add AFTK, 2112, Permanent Waves, and the other one of Hemi or MP, against all the others.

Personally, I think 2112 might be the most overrated Rush album of all. I really don't listen to it that much.

Bingo.

Also, I would have no problem picking 40 minutes of material that I enjoy as much as Moving Pictures or Hemispheres. Problem is a lot of people would disagree with that material ;) That's why it's impossible. It just so happens that 78-81 is the material that most if not all Rush fans connect to in some way.