Signals vs Grace Under Pressure

YYZumbi

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best?

Signals. Never like p/g. at all.

Mick

Im starting to think that you have the most similar taste in Rush music to me than anyone else I know

• Like 1

Mick

Im starting to think that you have the most similar taste in Rush music to me than anyone else I know

BLASPHEMY!

Grace Under Pressure is awesome!

Mick

BLASPHEMY!

BLASPHEMY!!

I think grace under pressure is a good album, I overplayed it, I have a hard time listening to any of the songs anymore. I just think Mick and I are similar - love of CoS and Power Windows is an interesting combination we both share

Mick

BLASPHEMY!

BLASPHEMY!!

I think grace under pressure is a good album, I overplayed it, I have a hard time listening to any of the songs anymore. I just think Mick and I are similar - love of CoS and Power Windows is an interesting combination we both share

I like the album a lot too but, for me, it's no Signals.

• Like 1

Mick

BLASPHEMY!

BLASPHEMY!!

Don't get me wrong, I love Power Windows too. At this point half the reason I'm voting for CoS is because I want Power Windows to live.

...The other half is for beating Clockwork Angels and Counterparts.

Edited by BowlCity

Mick

BLASPHEMY!

BLASPHEMY!!

Don't get me wrong, I love Power Windows too. At this point half the reason I'm voting for CoS is because I want Power Windows to live.

...The other half is for beating Clockwork Angels is Counterparts.

Now that we are in the top 10 (which also happens to be my personal top 10 he he he) I am going to vote strictly based on what I believe, there will be no strategery

Never like p/g. at all.

Mick

That comes as a surprise to me.

I voted p/g, my favorite Rush album.

I can't Pinpoint what it is.......but p/g irritates me to no end, lol

I roll my eyes when it's materiel is pulled out in concert.

Mick

• Like 1

Not sure Signals doesn't have any more synths than Moving Pictures.

Subdivisions is the big synth song. Tom Sawyer has background synth and synth in the solo section.

Analog Kid has synth in the chorus and a bit else where. Red Barchetta has background synth

Chemistry has background synth. YYZ has minimal synth at the end of solo section

Digital Man has background synth Limelight has minimal synth

The Weapon has some synth, background and in the middle The Camera Eye has synths in various sections

New World Man has background synth mainly Witch Hunt has synths

Losing it has synth and electric violin Vital Signs has synths

Countdown has some synth

The only difference IMO is that on Signals the keyboards became more central and the guitar was panned losing volume and presence in the mix.

Calling all REAL Rush fans: remember the 70s? How honest and real the music was? Caress of Steel - three young men full of spirit and creative drive, thinking big. They couldn't stop thinking big. They poured their heart and soul into writing evocative songs and stories with a hard edge, sometimes with a softer, more soothing edge. This was before scientists in electronics labs developed newer and better synthesizers to make "music" that had nothing to do with the press of flesh against wood and steel. Press a button, and out pops a sound! You want it to sound like a horn? Sure. We can't unfortunately make it sound like what a real horn would make, with a real musician behind it breathing his or her life and soul into it. But close enough for dancing and AM radio. Here ya go. Guitars are so out of fashion. Make a slicker, glossier, more synthetic album! Make Power Windows, an album in which your real musicianship will lurk in the shadows behind all these big, glorious, shiny, pummeling synthesizers. Weener-neener! Weener-neener!!!

This all started with Grace Under Pressure!

Signals.

It's the less consistent album of the two: Chemistry and Countdown are a bit limp. But it also hits some amazing highs. Subdivisions and The Analog Kid are better than anything on Grace Under Pressure. Digital Man, The Weapon and New World Man are also all Top-Tier Rush songs.

Grace Under Pressure is a terrific album with a concise point of view but lacks those one or two true classics. Distant Early Warning, Red Sector A, The Enemy Within and Kid Gloves are all terrific songs but compared to the run of 3 albums preceding it, Grace falls a bit short. It also has a pretty somber world view, which makes it more challenging.

I love the sound of this period of Rush- low growling synths, playful bass, creative drum fills and new wavey/reggae guitar stabs. Grace Under Pressure marks an end to a certain era or the band for me. Power Windows seems like they were trying to correct themselves in some ways- a stab at being more accessible. Grace is the last time they just did whatever the f**k they wanted.

Signals.

It's the less consistent album of the two: Chemistry and Countdown are a bit limp. But it also hits some amazing highs. Subdivisions and The Analog Kid are better than anything on Grace Under Pressure. Digital Man, The Weapon and New World Man are also all Top-Tier Rush songs.

Grace Under Pressure is a terrific album with a concise point of view but lacks those one or two true classics. Distant Early Warning, Red Sector A, The Enemy Within and Kid Gloves are all terrific songs but compared to the run of 3 albums preceding it, Grace falls a bit short. It also has a pretty somber world view, which makes it more challenging.

I love the sound of this period of Rush- low growling synths, playful bass, creative drum fills and new wavey/reggae guitar stabs. Grace Under Pressure marks an end to a certain era or the band for me. Power Windows seems like they were trying to correct themselves in some ways- a stab at being more accessible. Grace is the last time they just did whatever the f**k they wanted.

I think they went back to "doing whatever the f**k they wanted" with Vapor Trails at the very latest.

I was almost disappointed they played Limelight at the show I went to on the CA Tour instead of Body Electric. Limelight is one of my all time favorites for sure, but the more Grace Under Pressure the band puts into the setlist, the more awesome it is. I was elated they kept Between The Wheels in the set for the Snakes tour.
  • Like 1

p/g by a decent amount.

First to worst:

Subdivisions

The Enemy Within

Distant Early Warning

The Analog Kid

The Weapon

Red Sector A

Afterimage

Losing It

Between the Wheels

The Body Electric

New World Man

Kid Gloves

Countdown

Digital Man

Chemistry

Red Lenses

This shouldn't be hard which one gets my vote. However, I must say Signals is a vastly under rated album that gets close REAL close to my favorite RUSH album of all time.

Signals plain simple is a damn good album from side one-two.

• Like 3