Do your friends "get" why you travel to see Rush?

So I live in Ottawa, and I've traveled solo to Toronto, and Hamilton to see Rush. I've seen them in Montreal twice with friends. For this tour, I'm going to Toronto(first night) alone again, as well as New York and Newark. Finally...I'm getting a 48 year old co worker who loves old Rush( and can play a lot of those songs on guitar) to come with me to the Montreal show. I'm excited to have him there. He hasn't seen them since the Roll The Bones tour and only started listening to them because he met me 6 years ago.

My friends don't understand why I see them so much. They think 2 or 3 times is enough. What they don't understand is that every tour is different. The setlist, the lights, the video screens, the stage setup, the vibe, the feel of the show, etc...

By no means are they judging me for loving Rush so much, but they definitely think it's odd that I travel(especially solo) to see a rock band. But they just don't understand what it's like to love a band so much that seeing them in different cities is fun, and cool and interesting. They know that other people see them even more times than I do per tour, because I've shown them the posts and the documentary. But they think those people are crazy for spending that much money on ticket's, travel, hotels, etc...

In any case...do your friends or co workers think your nuts for traveling to see them? I've only been into Rush since 2007 and after this tour, I will have seen them 11 times(Once on S&A, twice on Time Machine, 4 times on CA, and now another 4 times on this tour). I don't think that's excessive at all, and if I had more money, I would have gone to the Chicago and Denver, or San Jose and LA shows as well. Possibly Boston and Philly.

The last 2 tours, I said I wanted to see them in Boston or NYC and I just didn't do it. This time, I made sure I went to NYC, and I figured why not go to the Newark show as well. Seeing my fav band on their final big tour in the most famous arena in the world, and finally getting to visit NYC is going to be a great weekend. I'll be 30 in April and it's time to see the big apple.

• Like 1

I turned down a place to stay in Cabo for a week because I had tickets to see Rush! (and I live in the frozen tundra North East) My wife was a little annoyed, but then when something else came up for her (that she wasn't aware of the date) it wasn't so bad....(and I'm glad I had the Rush tickets, because if she would have cancelled for her "thing" I would have been VERY pi$$ed!) (double standard crap, ya know!)
  • Like 1

Going to NYC for the single date at MSG next June from Italy; not sure if my wife fully understands it (she got used to some European trips anyway) but I easily won her spending then together some time in Big Apple. I actually used the same strategy in 2012.

Close friends suffer of this same 'weakness' for music and live gigs (not necessarily for Rush) and they understand at 100%; sometimes happens we travel together in Europe but obviously everyone use his budget for favourite bands.

And the guys I work with are just a bunch of w***ers.....

So I live in Ottawa, and I've traveled solo to Toronto, and Hamilton to see Rush. I've seen them in Montreal twice with friends. For this tour, I'm going to Toronto(first night) alone again, as well as New York and Newark. Finally...I'm getting a 48 year old co worker who loves old Rush( and can play a lot of those songs on guitar) to come with me to the Montreal show. I'm excited to have him there. He hasn't seen them since the Roll The Bones tour and only started listening to them because he met me 6 years ago.

My friends don't understand why I see them so much. They think 2 or 3 times is enough. What they don't understand is that every tour is different. The setlist, the lights, the video screens, the stage setup, the vibe, the feel of the show, etc...

By no means are they judging me for loving Rush so much, but they definitely think it's odd that I travel(especially solo) to see a rock band. But they just don't understand what it's like to love a band so much that seeing them in different cities is fun, and cool and interesting. They know that other people see them even more times than I do per tour, because I've shown them the posts and the documentary. But they think those people are crazy for spending that much money on ticket's, travel, hotels, etc...

In any case...do your friends or co workers think your nuts for traveling to see them? I've only been into Rush since 2007 and after this tour, I will have seen them 11 times(Once on S&A, twice on Time Machine, 4 times on CA, and now another 4 times on this tour). I don't think that's excessive at all, and if I had more money, I would have gone to the Chicago and Denver, or San Jose and LA shows as well. Possibly Boston and Philly.

The last 2 tours, I said I wanted to see them in Boston or NYC and I just didn't do it. This time, I made sure I went to NYC, and I figured why not go to the Newark show as well. Seeing my fav band on their final big tour in the most famous arena in the world, and finally getting to visit NYC is going to be a great weekend. I'll be 30 in April and it's time to see the big apple.

Welcome to the forum! My friends think I'm a little obsessive on this point, that is in line with how I treat all of my hobbies, so I don't think they believe it's particularly strange for me.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! My friends think I'm a little obsessive on this point, that is in line with how I treat all of my hobbies, so I don't think they believe it's particularly strange for me.

It's your gun collection that really freaks people out!!

It's your gun collection that really freaks people out!!

My guns are intimidating:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/LB4vX7wD-HE/maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

I went to six shows on the last tour, and I'm doing several on this tour as well. My friends think it's eccentric but also get a kick out of it. My husband (not a Rush fan) encourages it. He's great at pushing me to go after my dreams, but secretly I think he also loves having the house for himself for a bit :D
  • Like 1

I went to six shows on the last tour, and I'm doing several on this tour as well. My friends think it's eccentric but also get a kick out of it. My husband (not a Rush fan) encourages it. He's great at pushing me to go after my dreams, but secretly I think he also loves having the house for himself for a bit :D

Its always nice to have a break once in a while. Getting away with friends is always healthy! :D

• Like 1

Its always nice to have a break once in a while. Getting away with friends is always healthy! :D

I'm going to most of the shows by myself. But the San Jose show is close to home and I know a few others who will be going so we can hang out.

• Like 2

My friends think i am insane for how much I spent on Rush. And how many miles I have traveled. I feel bad for them. Bucause if they did they would have come with me. And their lives would have been changed forever.
  • Like 2

As my mom used to say, it's nice to have a hobby, what's wrong with Rush? Seriously :) When we lived in Colorado, my husband and I learned to ski because it was nearby, but people spent huge bucks on coming from all over the world for ski trips and equipment. We have family reunions on the Outer Banks some summers and my non beach friends don't really get that, I don't expect them to. I THINK RUSH AS AN INTEREST IS WONDERFUL- you support the arts, support live music, meet interesting people, learn geography and hear great music, 41 years worth! :) Everyone's travels to see Rush this summer sound awesome as I have health issues and won't know until this summer if I can even go, so don't worry about if your friends or co workers don't understand, just enjoy!
  • Like 2

I've been travelling to see live music for around 25 years. Seen shows in over 40 states. Friends of mine who are into music understand, although it's really hard to get anyone on board. People I know who are not really into it don't get it at all....however, in my defense, I don't get how they can be so disinterested, moved, etc, by music.
  • Like 2

None of my real-life friends really understand. I've traveled to the majority of the shows by myself. While it would be awesome to have some friends to share the experience with, that doesn't keep me from going. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

no they do not get it. I have one buddy that is going to 2 shows with me 7-23 and 8-1. the 8-1 in LA is a vacation for my buddy and our wife's. we have a rented condo on beach in Venice beach. no one else understands and that ok by me.
  • Like 1

My non eccentric Rush fans don't get it.

I travelled from San Diego to Montreal, via Vermont, to see Rush on the S&A tour....definitely got a few raised eyebrows for that trip.

On a smaller scale I regularly travel a few hours up the coast to see Rush, with one trip in '97 to San Bernardino for Test for Echo.

Some of my friends get the travelling bit, but not necessarily all the fuss about securing hotels and dinner reservations and side trips and basically shutting down my normal life to prepare for Rush.

On the Clockwork Tour I only travelled up to Anaheim and Hollywood, but did see Rush 3 times in 5 days...and had a 7 day Rush vacation...

Only people on this site would understand that...

• Like 3

I live in a small market city, so I have to travel for ANY entertainment as do everyone in my town.

Not odd at all, people routinely travel hours for football games, concerts..etc.

Also, as you get older what people think of you becomes less and less important.

Living 2 blocks from the Gulf of Mexico, it still amazes me people save up all year to come to the beach.

So same thing really.

We schedule our vacations to happen during any Rush concerts...

This tour, 3 days in New Orleans...bring on the food and booze

WWII museum, graveyards...explore the city you are going to see Rush, make it memorable.

I mean unless you are going to Lincoln, and enjoy farming

Edited by Disembodied Spirit
  • Like 1