2112 or Cygnus X-1 Book II - Hemispheres?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

Poll: 2112 or Cygnus X-1 Book II - Hemispheres? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Which song do you think is better?

1. 2112 (22 votes [40.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

2. Cygnus X-1 Book II - Hemispheres (32 votes [59.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 59.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Snaked

Snaked

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3339 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:37 PM

Hemispheres.
Period.

Sponsored Post

#42 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32240 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:32 AM

View PostTheAccountant, on 06 March 2015 - 06:55 PM, said:

View PostLedRush, on 06 March 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Better, more varied, and more interesting music, better story-telling, and a better match between music and story.  I love Hemispheres, but this isn't a close call for me.

Excellent post.  Except I would go slightly further and say that I like Hemispheres, not love it.  Its a fine, ok, middle of the pack song.  Nothing wrong with it but nothing special.

2112, for all  the reasons listed, is far better.  Got my vote - no second thoughts needed.

Agreed! Hemispheres is just...average in the best way possible. I am glad they quit the epics after this, as the result was expansive shorter "epics" like Red Barchetta, Natural Science and The Camera Eye. They have a greater impact on the senses than any five minute segment of Hemispheres.

#43 TheAccountant

TheAccountant

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1273 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 07 March 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

Better, more varied, and more interesting music, better story-telling, and a better match between music and story.  I love Hemispheres, but this isn't a close call for me.

Excellent post.  Except I would go slightly further and say that I like Hemispheres, not love it.  Its a fine, ok, middle of the pack song.  Nothing wrong with it but nothing special.

2112, for all  the reasons listed, is far better.  Got my vote - no second thoughts needed.

Agreed! Hemispheres is just...average in the best way possible. I am glad they quit the epics after this, as the result was expansive shorter "epics" like Red Barchetta, Natural Science and The Camera Eye. They have a greater impact on the senses than any five minute segment of Hemispheres.

I like the way you said " average in the best way possible".  Its a good average Rush song.  If you compare it to the the broader universe of Rock music its better than most stuff (hence, IMO, the "best way possible" is spot on).  But when compared to Rush's music its just a decent average.

I also agree with you on them quitting the epics.  Their had been a time and place for them but it was time to move on, change and grow.  The epics I really like (2112, By-Tor, Xanadu) are just that - epic.  I love them.  But rather than continuing to try them and become stuck in what they were doing they changed, created other types of songs and their art grew as a result.  In some ways it makes me appreciate the epics even more since I have the, in some ways equally epic, post epic period (PW, MP, synth era and post synth era) to compare the epics to.  Yes, I used "epic" a lot in that last sentence but it was done so on purpose.  It was designed to be an epic sentence (chuckle).

As for Red Barchetta, The Camera Eye and Natural Science I am glad you mentioned them.  Natural Science is, to my ears, still part of the epic era but almost a farewell to it.  Like it more than Hemispheres but I like the live versions way more than the studio.  Red Barchetta is, for me, a top 10 - 15 Rush song.  Way better than Hemispheres.   The Camera Eye is a song I actually find hard to place.   Its not an "epic" but its not what they were turning into.  Like Natural Science its sort of a transition song.  Its actually like Hemispheres for me.  Good, solid song.  But nothing great.  But I agree that it is somewhat better than Hemispheres.

#44 Syrinx Priest

Syrinx Priest

The Seeker

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

While I think the total body of work (Album) of Hemispheres is way better.

Just comparing side 1 - 2112 is the better of the 2, albeit they are both incredible.
Kind of like a hot girl asking you which sexual position you would prefer to do it with her.

#45 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42280 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:10 PM

If Hemispheres is "just average," I won't say what I think of the post-Signals  Rush albums.

#46 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18676 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

I prefer Hemispheres because I think it holds together as one song instead of a bunch of different songs strung together. I can listen to Hemispheres, start to finish, whereas with 2112 I prefer some sections over others (I cringe at the thought of "Discovery").

#47 Disembodied Spirit

Disembodied Spirit

Big Hat Funny!

• Members
  • 3419 posts
  • Interests:Turned down the role of Billy Hicks in 'St. Elmo's Fire' Worked at WorldCom, Enron and AIG before realizing work is dumb. Once asked Sarah McLachlan out on a date, and was promptly turned down.

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:38 PM

CNN has projected Hemispheres in a landslide.

#48 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42280 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:45 PM

2112 sounds very dated to me when I listen to it.

Hemispheres is timeless.

#49 jefeltner11

jefeltner11

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1328 posts
  • Interests:Gaming (lots of it), reading, and listening to music, of course, as well as changing my interests.

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

I should say 2112 since it was my gateway drug, but it's only beaten by 3 songs, and Hemispheres is one of them.

#50 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32240 posts
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:13 PM

Playing 2112 rigt now.

Just leagues ahead of every other epic the band ever wrote.

I think this is the best song the band ever wrote. No competition. Of its time, and gloriously so! Nothing about Hemispheres comes close to topping this.

#51 Disk98

Disk98

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3925 posts
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:15 PM

2112: 10.0

Hemispheres: 2.5

#52 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32240 posts
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:18 PM

View PostTheAccountant, on 07 March 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 07 March 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

I like the way you said " average in the best way possible".  Its a good average Rush song.  If you compare it to the the broader universe of Rock music its better than most stuff (hence, IMO, the "best way possible" is spot on).  But when compared to Rush's music its just a decent average.

I also agree with you on them quitting the epics.  Their had been a time and place for them but it was time to move on, change and grow.  The epics I really like (2112, By-Tor, Xanadu) are just that - epic.  I love them.  But rather than continuing to try them and become stuck in what they were doing they changed, created other types of songs and their art grew as a result.  In some ways it makes me appreciate the epics even more since I have the, in some ways equally epic, post epic period (PW, MP, synth era and post synth era) to compare the epics to.  Yes, I used "epic" a lot in that last sentence but it was done so on purpose.  It was designed to be an epic sentence (chuckle).

As for Red Barchetta, The Camera Eye and Natural Science I am glad you mentioned them.  Natural Science is, to my ears, still part of the epic era but almost a farewell to it.  Like it more than Hemispheres but I like the live versions way more than the studio.  Red Barchetta is, for me, a top 10 - 15 Rush song.  Way better than Hemispheres.   The Camera Eye is a song I actually find hard to place.   Its not an "epic" but its not what they were turning into.  Like Natural Science its sort of a transition song.  Its actually like Hemispheres for me.  Good, solid song.  But nothing great.  But I agree that it is somewhat better than Hemispheres.

The Camera Eye, Red Barchetta, Natural Science, Xanadu, 2112, Fountain, Cygnus X-1...all far greater than  side one of Hemispheres.

#53 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3550 posts
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:18 PM

2112 is their masterwork, their best song of all time. Everything about the song is absolute Rush perfection. Hemispheres, while awesome is it's own right, doesn't stand a ghost of a chance.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo, 07 March 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#54 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32240 posts
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:20 PM

View PostDisk98, on 07 March 2015 - 02:15 PM, said:

2112: 10.0

Hemispheres: 2.5

2112- 10/10

Hemispheres- 6/10

Of course, I am referring only to the songs. Side B of Hems is far greater than the rather nice second side of 2112.

#55 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:20 PM

The fact anyone would call Hemisphere average is beyond me..........sorry Mr. Segue.  I know i did but i've repented.

Mick

#56 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32240 posts
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 07 March 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

The fact anyone would call Hemisphere average is beyond me..........sorry Mr. Segue.  I know i did but i've repented.

Mick

You keep Hems, I keep VT. Much happier with that album.

#57 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:22 PM

And

2112-8/10

Hemispheres-Gift of those Canadian Gods.

Mick

#58 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42280 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:24 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 07 March 2015 - 02:21 PM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 07 March 2015 - 02:20 PM, said:

Mick

You keep Hems, I keep VT. Much happier with that album.
That's a good deal.  Bye!

#59 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 3550 posts
  • Interests:QueenRushMuseYeah! Oh and MtG.

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:24 PM

I wouldn't call Hemispheres average though. It is pretty sick, and their functioning tighter as a group here than they ever had before, but 2112 is still the better song.

#60 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42280 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

Hemispheres - 26

2112 - 15

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users