Vapor Trails vs Snakes & Arrows

YYZumbi

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the best one?

Snakes. VT sucks.

Mick

VT. Snakes sucks.

Well, except for "Far Cry" - that's the best "single" Rush has made since "Dreamline".

Mal Nar doesn't suck either. But the rest suck enough to overcome the others' lack of suckitude.

S&A is at the the bottom of my RUSH album listing so there that should tell that I like VT By a mile.
  • Like 1

Snakes. VT sucks.

Mick

VT. Snakes sucks.

Well, except for "Far Cry" - that's the best "single" Rush has made since "Dreamline".

Mal Nar doesn't suck either. But the rest suck enough to overcome the others' lack of suckitude.

Right - it's a tight little brother to "YYZ", a reminder of what Rush can do with their instruments.

• Like 2

I listened to a truncated version of S & A today, as saved on my I-Shuffle:

Armor and Sword

Working Them Angels

Main Monkey business

The Way the Wind Blows

Hope

Faithless

MalNar

We Hold On

In this format, it's mostly tolerable, with the instrumentals the clear standouts. The plodding tempos of most of the tracks really starts to grate on me. Even good songs are ruined by some dirge-like break, for some reason. Great sounding, though.

Mal nar does suck. Alex's guitar parts are annoying, and Neils drum breaks are subpar.

I also kind of wish that there was more space for Lifeson in the song, but I love Neil's first drum fill - you have to remember that he was only using a four-piece kit for that. It's a very sweet, tight, snappy little fill that he does there. Lee's first bass lick is cool, too.

• Like 1

It is very hard for me to choose favorites with RUSH.

It is along the same lines as asking me to choose my favorite child :)

The VT "remix" helps bring these 2 very close. I vote S&A by a hair. Some great material on both albums. Songs like "Earthshine", "Vapor Trail", "Armor & Sword", "Far Cry" are some of my favorites in Rush's whole catalog...

The VT "remix" helps bring these 2 very close. I vote S&A by a hair. Some great material on both albums. Songs like "Earthshine", "Vapor Trail", "Armor & Sword", "Far Cry" are some of my favorites in Rush's whole catalog...

I think the band would be very pleased to know that somewhere out there are fans who actually do like a lot of their newer songs. They think they are always getting better as songwriters, but the audiences let them know by the enthusiasm of their responses what they really want to hear.

• Like 1

To the folks who run this joint: how about an auto-replace feature so that when someone uses the word "sucks" it gets auto-replaced with "is something I don't care for"? Not trying to be a prude--I love getting around the "f**k" prohibition--the fuckhibition--but of all the sort of pointlessly crude and critically illegitimate words, sucks is pretty low and meaningless. Ah, I should probably just shupaboutit. Words. Such arbitrary things, creating such arbitrary responses. Suck is okay, f**k ain't.

Blah blah blah. Long day. I just want to go to bed but I can't yet. That's my excuse for being grumpy. Where was I?

To the folks who run this joint: how about an auto-replace feature so that when someone uses the word "sucks" it gets auto-replaced with "is something I don't care for"? Not trying to be a prude--I love getting around the "f**k" prohibition--the fuckhibition--but of all the sort of pointlessly crude and critically illegitimate words, sucks is pretty low and meaningless. Ah, I should probably just shupaboutit. Words. Such arbitrary things, creating such arbitrary responses. Suck is okay, f**k ain't.

Blah blah blah. Long day. I just want to go to bed but I can't yet. That's my excuse for being grumpy. Where was I?

^^^ This post sucks.
  • Like 2

^^^ This post Prestos.

Not necessarily fixed, but just providing an alternate way of saying the same thing.

• Like 1

^^^ This post Prestos.

Not necessarily fixed, but just providing an alternate way of saying the same thing.

You can Presto my LABT.

;)

Overall, VT for me.

However, I do think Far Cry is a Rush single that stands alongside Tom Sawyer, Spirit, Freewill, etc in terms of quality, and VT didn't really produce any of those. So while I prefer VT, I gotta give it up to Far Cry for best single song out of both albums.

• Like 2

Overall, VT for me.

However, I do think Far Cry is a Rush single that stands alongside Tom Sawyer, Spirit, Freewill, etc in terms of quality, and VT didn't really produce any of those. So while I prefer VT, I gotta give it up to Far Cry for best single song out of both albums.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :yes:

Yep, totally agree. "Far Cry" is now a Rush standard. It's a concert staple and a go-to accessible track that represents Rush in the "now"...but could be a timeless classic.

VAPOR TRAILS

One Little Victory: 9.5

Ceiling Unlimited: 9.2

Ghost Rider: 9.7

Peaceable Kingdom: 9.7

The Stars Look Down: 8.8

How It Is: 9.7

Vapor Trail: 9.8

Secret Touch: 9.6

Earthshine: 9.5

Sweet Miracle: 8.5

Nocturne: 9.7

Freeze (Part IV of "Fear"): 9.5

Out of the Cradle: 9.3

• Overall: 9.4 •

SNAKES & ARROWS

Far Cry: 10.0

Armor and Sword: 9.3

Workin' Them Angels: 9.5

The Larger Bowl (A Pantoum): 8.1

Spindrift: 9.4

The Main Monkey Business: 8.3

The Way the Wind Blows: 9.6

Hope: 8.8

Faithless: 9.0

Bravest Face: 7.0

Good News First: 7.5

Malignant Narcissism: 9.8

We Hold On: 8.5

• Overall: 8.8 •

I guess I don't give Snakes & Arrows the credit it deserves, but after listening to it I realize that it's actually very, very good. However, Vapor Trails is a masterpiece matched by only MP, PeW, and CA. My vote goes to Vapor Trails, but I've gained some respect for Snakes.

• Like 1

I really enjoy both.

VT has a super raw, primal quality to it, while S&A utilizes more of an earthly, acoustic sound, which I think is a sort of reinvented sound for them.

While both rank in my top 10 Rush albums, I have to go with VT, as I enjoy the songs more overall and I think it has an excellent "We're back", kickass vibe to it that S&A doesn't have.

• Like 1