Rush Songs I Hate

LedRush

On this board, I often engage in discussions regarding the best and worst songs. I find that arguing my positions make me entrenched in them, often leading to hyperbole about how much something sucks when compared to something else, which is obviously awesome.

Anyway, Disk98's topic about best and worst songs made me think about which songs are really the "worst" to my ear. The first were easy to list: just go down a list of Counterparts songs. But when I looked to augment that list with the songs from Snakes and Arrows, I noticed something...the songs aren't that bad. Yes, they're not my favorites, but most have something interesting going on musically that made me like them. When I scanned the synth era and Presto and started listening to the worst songs on those albums, I felt the same thing. Again, these aren't my favorite songs, but they're not bad. They're just bad for Rush.

Rush does have some bad songs (see Counterparts), but one thing I love about Rush is coming back to an album or a song after a long absence and realizing that I really do find a lot of the songs extremely enjoyable.

I'm listening to S&A right now and really enjoying it. It will never be a favorite for me, but not every album can be.

And psst, don't tell BowlCity, but I actually enjoy 6 or 7 songs from Counterparts!

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 12

I think you've talked about this before, though not as in depth. I remember you did some number rankings and put the majority of Counterparts at 7 or higher, which is pretty generous for what you consider Rush's worst album.

Either deep down you know that album is pure rock awesomeness or as you say, even at Rush's worst, it's still Rush.

I can't say the same for the debut...I genuinely think the majority of that album is derivative garbage. I agree with your sentiments when it comes to Presto and RTB. Both are godawful by Rush's standards IMO but under the steaming pile they're still hidden under there.

I don't hate any rush song, that's why I'm here

I would feel weird signing up for a forum if I hated a large chunk of a band's discography.

Edited by bathory
  • Like 5

I fully understand why Snakes is such a challenge for people to listen to, cause it is pretty damn long and all the songs are at that same mid-tempo 5-6 minute pace.

But I will always love that album because of the brilliant guitar/bass playing. They blended acoustic guitars and chordal and arpeggiated bass playing perfectly with that in your face hard rock.

• Like 6

I don't hate any rush song, that's why I'm here

I would feel weird signing up for a forum if I hated a large chunk of a band's discography.

Yes I think hate would be a bit strong for even the worst of their discography...
  • Like 2

Good points there, Led. Bad Rush is indeed still Rush. I don't legitimately "hate" any Rush song, per se, but there are songs that are just bad for Rush. Any Rush song, even Fountain and Hemispheres, is more enjoyable than, say, Problem or Happy or something. When I call CoS a PoS, I just mean that compared to all their other albums, it's the worst. It isn't bad compared to most of today's music though, and maybe some people, myself included, don't get that message across.
  • Like 3

I can't say the same for the debut...I genuinely think the majority of that album is derivative garbage.

I know it's impossible to do this, really, but I'm going to ask you to think about this because you're very young- I think you're about the same age that Geddy and Alex were when they recorded that debut album:

Pretend that it's forty-one and a half years ago. Imagine that the past forty-plus years of the history of rock and roll are just...non-existent. They're not there. It's 1973. Imagine you're Geddy, writing songs mostly about girls, rocking out and creating a good groove by which to sing those songs, playing your heart out.

Derivative garbage? I don't think so. I hear a band that got an amazing break, and not pretending to be anything but themselves, at the age of twenty.

It's pretty incredible...if you think about it.

• Like 5

I can't say the same for the debut...I genuinely think the majority of that album is derivative garbage.

I know it's impossible to do this, really, but I'm going to ask you to think about this because you're very young- I think you're about the same age that Geddy and Alex were when they recorded that debut album:

Pretend that it's forty-one and a half years ago. Imagine that the past forty-plus years of the history of rock and roll are just...non-existent. They're not there. It's 1973. Imagine you're Geddy, writing songs mostly about girls, rocking out and creating a good groove by which to sing those songs, playing your heart out.

Derivative garbage? I don't think so. I hear a band that got an amazing break, and not pretending to be anything but themselves, at the age of twenty.

I understand what you're saying, but there is nothing on the debut that wasn't done better by someone else. I still enjoy it, but it is a pale shadow of Zeppelin.

• Like 1

I understand what you're saying, but there is nothing on the debut that wasn't done better by someone else. I still enjoy it, but it is a pale shadow of Zeppelin.

Sorry but you're right. It is impossible. But maybe not because I'm young but because of the way I listen to music. The time period and significance of the album in terms of Geddy and Alex's lives is irrelevant to me. Sure, Vapor Trails is "the triumphant return of Rush". What went on Neil's life is irrelevant to me when I listen to that album. I think Vapor Trails has lots of moments of Rush at their finest. What was going on at that point in time means nothing to me as a listener. Same goes for the debut. When I listen to that album, I hear all sorts of derivative garbage. A Bad Company drummer and the boys trying to play a combination of Cream and Led Zeppelin, ending up horribly inferior to those two bands.

In the end it's the music and how it sounds. The time period doesn't mean anything. The events don't mean anything. The lyrics certainly don't mean anything.

Just my opinion, FWIW.

• Like 1

I don't hate any of their songs, but there are quite a few that I think aren't quite up to their best.

That's the way I would put it too. There are quite a few songs that do not measure up to what we know they can do, and a lot better.

• Like 1

I don't hate any of their songs, but there are quite a few that I think aren't quite up to their best.

That's the way I would put it too. There are quite a few songs that do not measure up to what we know they can do, and a lot better.

I think any time they tried to go out of the box and do The Police thing, it was a mistake. That's like the antithesis of what Rush was all about, and what they did the best.

I think any time they tried to go out of the box and do The Police thing, it was a mistake. That's like the antithesis of what Rush was all about, and what they did the best.

How about in later years?

They're not really doing that anymore. Hold Your Fire and Presto were the worst offenders.

• Like 1

Only 3 songs I out and out hate. They all come from the same album. Ill make you guess. It isnt Snakes or T4e.

Counterparts, of course.

Only 3 songs I out and out hate. They all come from the same album. Ill make you guess. It isnt Snakes or T4e.

Counterparts, of course.

:moon:

My guess is Roll The Bones.

• Like 1

Counterparts, of course.

I figure it's going to be CA. No album sucks as bad as that one. ;)

• Like 1

Counterparts, of course.

Here, you get one too.

• Like 1

They're not really doing that anymore. Hold Your Fire and Presto were the worst offenders.

Disagree. Signals was the "worst offender" as you put it and it is brilliant. Signals is littered with reggae and Copeland inspired drums and Andy Summers type guitar.

Edited by presto123

Counterparts, of course.

Here, you get one too.

Quite a sun burned bum you have there. :LOL:

• Like 1