More Sabbath Love: Live Evil v. Speak of the Devil

So now the War Pigs thread got me thinking about the two live albums that were released basically simultaneously in the early 80s by Black Sabbath and their departed original lead singer, Ozzy Osbourne. The Dio led incarnation released Live Evil after the Mob Rules tour. Honestly, I love the Dio albums, but Live Evil sounds like it was recorded in a garbage can in the back of the arena. The crowd is nonexistent, and the band sounds like it's a million miles away. Speak of the Devil, Ozzy's album of Sabbath tunes has so much more life to it. Ozzy was phenomenal live back then. At the time, Ozzy claimed he was contractually obligated to release a live album, with that title, but because Randy had died, he didn't want to release an album with Randy on it with the word Devil in the title. I think that's a lie. I think he and Sharon wanted to stick it to Sabbath by releasing their own live album with Sabbath tunes when they knew Sabbath was working on its live album.

Sadly, Live Evil caused the first Dio era to collapse. Purportedly, Ronnie would sneak into the studio at night and turn up his vocals in the mix. Geezer and Tony would come in the next morning and turning them back down.

If you're a Sabbath fan, what's your feeling on these two?

• Like 1

Have you ever heard the companion disc to the Diary of a Madman Deluxe Edition? It's live from the Blizzard tour. Ozzy's set list for the first few years was so static, so it's basically the same tunes from Tribute. Still, the performance is great.

One thing I did like about Speak of the Devil was the inclusion of stuff like Never Say Die! and Symptom of the Universe.

Interesting fact. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was not actually performed during the shows in NYC.

• Like 1

Have you ever heard the companion disc to the Diary of a Madman Deluxe Edition? It's live from the Blizzard tour. Ozzy's set list for the first few years was so static, so it's basically the same tunes from Tribute. Still, the performance is great.

One thing I did like about Speak of the Devil was the inclusion of stuff like Never Say Die! and Symptom of the Universe.

Interesting fact. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was not actually performed during the shows in NYC.

nah, don't own any deluxe editions. I've only heard speak of the devil because my dad gave me all his tapes when I was 12

nah, don't own any deluxe editions. I've only heard speak of the devil because my dad gave me all his tapes when I was 12

He should have bought Speak of the Devil on vinyl. It's made a comeback.

If it is what I'm thinking of, which is this, it's been released as a standalone.

http://www.ozzy.com/sites/ozzy/files/120419_rsd_ozzylive.jpg

• Like 3

If it is what I'm thinking of, which is this, it's been released as a standalone.

Interesting. It looks like the track list is all the extra stuff both the Ozzy deluxe editions had. I would have gotten this rather than two more copies of Blizzard and Diary if I had know this was coming.

SPEAK OF THE DEVIL all my life !!!!! Brad Gillis' work on it is outstanding. I especially love his version of "Children of the Grave"

Live Evil suffers from bad recording / mixing. Live at Hammersmith Odeon (Mob Rules Deluxe Edition bonus disc) is much much better!

• Like 1

Speak of the Devil. Brad Gillis kills on it. Rumors are that Ozzy was ripped out of his mind, shockingly.

I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to work with him so soon after Randy dying.

Edited by Xanadoood

Speak of the Devil. Brad Gillis kills on it. Rumors are that Ozzy was ripped out of his mind, shockingly.

I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to work with him so soon after Randy dying.

I saw Ozzy at the Garden on the Diary tour about 2 weeks after Randy died. Bernie Torme was on guitar. When he came on stage, my buddies and I thought maybe it was hoax that Randy died. Bernie looked (to us) exactly like Randy. He played great too.

• Like 1

So now the War Pigs thread got me thinking about the two live albums that were released basically simultaneously in the early 80s by Black Sabbath and their departed original lead singer, Ozzy Osbourne. The Dio led incarnation released Live Evil after the Mob Rules tour. Honestly, I love the Dio albums, but Live Evil sounds like it was recorded in a garbage can in the back of the arena. The crowd is nonexistent, and the band sounds like it's a million miles away. Speak of the Devil, Ozzy's album of Sabbath tunes has so much more life to it. Ozzy was phenomenal live back then. At the time, Ozzy claimed he was contractually obligated to release a live album, with that title, but because Randy had died, he didn't want to release an album with Randy on it with the word Devil in the title. I think that's a lie. I think he and Sharon wanted to stick it to Sabbath by releasing their own live album with Sabbath tunes when they knew Sabbath was working on its live album.

Sadly, Live Evil caused the first Dio era to collapse. Purportedly, Ronnie would sneak into the studio at night and turn up his vocals in the mix. Geezer and Tony would come in the next morning and turning them back down.

If you're a Sabbath fan, what's your feeling on these two?

Rick! This is a great thread! I wish it was a poll!!

I obviously have to go with "LIVE EVIL!" RONNIE BABY!!!! R.I.P.

So as for "Speak Of The Devil" I have a story to tell.

Brad Gillis had a baby girl with my brother in law's sister.

So Brad is actually part of the "family."

Over the years he would show up sometimes and go to a birthday party or a Thanksgiving.

Anyway Brad lives here in Walnut Creek.

So I had about a half hour of his time.

I asked him all kinds of questions about the making of "Speak Of The Devil."

He told me that he really did lock himself in his bedroom for 24 hours to learn all of the guitar parts and solos.

Personally I am a big Brad Gillis fan. I love the first two Night Ranger records. But that's a different story.

Do you guys know that Ozzy and Sharon flew to the Bay Area to meet with Dave Meniketti from Y&T? Ozzy actually got on his hands and knees and begged Dave to join his band.

Fuckking Dave said NO "I've got my own thing going." Yeah right. Y&T tanked after "In Rock We Trust." Bad move Dave.

Anyway Brad was next in line and got the job.

What bums me out about "Speak Of The Devil" is that it's all Black Sabbath stuff. I was hoping for some Randy tunes.

Oh well, it's still a great record. "Live Evil" still beats it out.

• Like 1

I'm so pissed! This is not on cd. I need to buy a fuckking record player. Vinyl is back in!

My youngest daughter has a record player. I'm very happy!

• Like 1