If Geddy could still sing...

JARG

Temples and Circumstances (anything off Hemispheres for that matter) were pretty damn impressive. Anthem too. Tough to pull off and no where to hide with those. Kudos...
  • Like 1

You guys are a tough house, lol. I play a bit of bass, and my son is an excellent drummer...but I've never seen one person who can play guitar, bass, AND drums to that level of proficiency. I'm a little blown away.

The vox were VERY solid and in tune, she had a good tone for this music.

• Like 2

When in the name of f**k did Geddy stop singing well? Trick question.

Round about 1996 or so. It's been a long painful slide since then.

• Like 1

You couldn't be any more wrong.

Of course I could. I could say that Geddy's voice has declined only a little bit over the years, or, even more wrong than that, that his voice hasn't declined at all.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 3

You could be more wrong. He just happens to disagree.

I disagree too, I think its ben most apparent since the Time Machine tour. Its gotta be rough on him, he likes to talk and he is such an affable guy he's more than happy to do the whole interview circuit. But he does need to save his voice.

Stil I'll take a Geddy croak over about 8/10 of the singers out there.

• Like 2

You started to hear hints of it during the R30 tour, mainly his voice breaking and his higher register was declining. It was just once in a while at that point and all the way up through the Snakes & Arrows tour it wasn't too bad. He still sounded like himself. When he got that inner ear/sinus infection thing during the Time Machine tour it really did a number on his voice and he really hasn't recovered since. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Of course I could. I could say that Geddy's voice has declined only a little bit over the years, or, even more wrong than that, that his voice hasn't declined at all.

Keep'in it real. The young whippersnappers for the most part just won't see it... :)
  • Like 2

he sounded pretty bad at my first show. it wasn't distracting or anything, I was just like, "yep, he's old."

I actually thought he sounded really good when I saw them in 2012, and in 2013 better than time machine but he sounded really really tired.

Am I the only one who is wondering, and with a lot of trepidation, what he will sound like this tour?

You're not the only one. I'm hoping that since they've had over a year off that maybe his vocal chords have had a chance to recover a bit.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who is wondering, and with a lot of trepidation, what he will sound like this tour?

A very carefully selected setlist would help - some of the lower register stuff, several instrumentals, and any tunes that have long instrumental sections (Jacob's Ladder would make total sense, and so would bringing back Working Man). I also really think (and I know this is expensive) they should record at least a few shows this tour, especially mid-tour. People on the forum have pointed out that recording late-tour gigs aren't going to give us the best vocal performance by a tired 60+ year old singer.

You're not the only one. I'm hoping that since they've had over a year off that maybe his vocal chords have had a chance to recover a bit.

I'm not a singer but I could carry a tune, and I think I did good harmony. I stopped singing for a long time. One day I opened my mouth to sing something, and something akin to a peep came out. Even I was shocked.

My point? Geddy has said, and I think it was the past couple of months in an interview, that he does not practice singing when he isn't working. Vocal chords tighten up.

I would think he would at least do scales or something to keep the chords flexible and working.

I'm not a singer but I could carry a tune, and I think I did good harmony. I stopped singing for a long time. One day I opened my mouth to sing something, and something akin to a peep came out. Even I was shocked.

My point? Geddy has said, and I think it was the past couple of months in an interview, that he does not practice singing when he isn't working. Vocal chords tighten up.

I would think he would at least do scales or something to keep the chords flexible and working.

I'm sure he probably does practice once they know they're going to be doing something. At this stage in the game I would think the more rest he could give them the better.

A very carefully selected setlist would help - some of the lower register stuff, several instrumentals, and any tunes that have long instrumental sections (Jacob's Ladder would make total sense, and so would bringing back Working Man). I also really think (and I know this is expensive) they should record at least a few shows this tour, especially mid-tour. People on the forum have pointed out that recording late-tour gigs aren't going to give us the best vocal performance by a tired 60+ year old singer.

Record a few shows from the first few weeks. With this tour schedule as it is, by the end of the tour, you may have to carry them out. :LOL: It is a grueling schedule for men their age, especially for men who have just had almost two years off.

Record a few shows from the first few weeks. With this tour schedule as it is, by the end of the tour, you may have to carry them out. :LOL: It is a grueling schedule for men their age, especially for men who have just had almost two years off.

Yeah but they're spending a couple of months preparing for this. It's not like they're just jumping out there and playing without playing at all for year and a half. I'm not sure if Alex ever works out or not but Geddy has said he's working out with a trainer, and Neil is always doing something physical.

Yeah but they're spending a couple of months preparing for this. It's not like they're just jumping out there and playing without playing at all for year and a half. I'm not sure if Alex ever works out or not but Geddy has said he's working out with a trainer, and Neil is always doing something physical.

Well, here's hoping for the best then! :cheers:

Well, here's hoping for the best then! :cheers:

Hope forever springs eternal.

• Like 1