If Geddy could still sing...

JARG

Why should we even have to bother? What it was, it was. They had forty years of fame and fortune.

What we think about his voice is irrelevant at this point.

We're just shooting the breeze, which no amount of ammo will ever kill.

I wish you guys would stop trying to equate his screaming voice to his ability to sing.

Exactly who has done that? My gripe about Geddy's voice is that it's shot when he has to sing live. Even on the newer material, his enunciation is gone, and his pitch is hit-or-miss.

Hadn't considered that JARG and thanks for the post. It really has nothing to do with his "screaming voice" at all. Just his voice in general. He still sounded great in the 80's and his "screaming voice" (good Lord) was all but a thing of the past....

ya know I keep getting mad when people cite ged's screaming as why they don't like rush. Um......he has not done that style on record since 78.......so.....shut up, lol

Do your research, lol

Mick

Was wondering when you would show up? :LOL: In all honesty as a Rush fan from near the beginning I kind of resent the term "screaming voice" to begin with. "Higher" or "higher pitched" seems more complimentary and appropriate to me. Just my opinion and I will admit a defensive one at that... :codger:

It was melodic screaming - controlled, musical screaming. There's a difference between that kind of cool rock screaming and the kind of "I'm falling off a cliff" screaming.

That's fine but I still wouldn't use the term "screaming" in any way to describe his voice back in the day. Rob Halford maybe but not Geddy. They both sounded beautiful to me either way... :)

For me it just has to do with how broadly one interprets that word - screaming. Someone screaming as a fiery tanker truck rushes towards them on an icy road, a child getting his finger slammed in the door, someone losing it and screaming at his/her parents - those are pretty grating sounds. But when Geddy "screams" "like a spiral sea unending," that makes the hair on one's ears prickle in a very positive way, and floods the ol' thinky-compartment with the right kind of feelings.

I don't like the term screaming either. It has a negative connotation. I can't think of a better term though.

Wailing?... :LOL:

Mr N, how about Something for Nothing? The first verse Ged's singing among the richest and purest of any rock singer of all time, let alone his 'safe' style from the 80s. I ask, on the rest of SFN? Screaming? IMHO, It's the truest complement, that dude is belting it out, leaving nothing on the table. That was Rush's brilliance of the 70s, for the entire band.

• Like 1

I wish you guys would stop trying to equate his screaming voice to his ability to sing.

Exactly who has done that? My gripe about Geddy's voice is that it's shot when he has to sing live. Even on the newer material, his enunciation is gone, and his pitch is hit-or-miss.

Hadn't considered that JARG and thanks for the post. It really has nothing to do with his "screaming voice" at all. Just his voice in general. He still sounded great in the 80's and his "screaming voice" (good Lord) was all but a thing of the past....

ya know I keep getting mad when people cite ged's screaming as why they don't like rush. Um......he has not done that style on record since 78.......so.....shut up, lol

Do your research, lol

Mick

Was wondering when you would show up? :LOL: In all honesty as a Rush fan from near the beginning I kind of resent the term "screaming voice" to begin with. "Higher" or "higher pitched" seems more complimentary and appropriate to me. Just my opinion and I will admit a defensive one at that... :codger:

It was melodic screaming - controlled, musical screaming. There's a difference between that kind of cool rock screaming and the kind of "I'm falling off a cliff" screaming.

That's fine but I still wouldn't use the term "screaming" in any way to describe his voice back in the day. Rob Halford maybe but not Geddy. They both sounded beautiful to me either way... :)

For me it just has to do with how broadly one interprets that word - screaming. Someone screaming as a fiery tanker truck rushes towards them on an icy road, a child getting his finger slammed in the door, someone losing it and screaming at his/her parents - those are pretty grating sounds. But when Geddy "screams" "like a spiral sea unending," that makes the hair on one's ears prickle in a very positive way, and floods the ol' thinky-compartment with the right kind of feelings.

I don't like the term screaming either. It has a negative connotation. I can't think of a better term though.

Mr N, how about Something for Nothing? The first verse Ged's singing among the richest and purest of any rock singer of all time, let alone his 'safe' style from the 80s. I ask, on the rest of SFN? Screaming? IMHO, It's the truest complement, that dude is belting it out, leaving nothing on the table. That was Rush's brilliance of the 70s, for the entire band.

I think you're preaching to the choir?... :unsure:

Do your research, lol

Mick

I think he's trying to convince you that there is good "screaming" . . . but in the end it's all just "words, words, words." Who said that? Hamlet?

I think he's trying to convince you that there is good "screaming" . . . but in the end it's all just "words, words, words." Who said that? Hamlet?

The Monkees

The Monks

Don't know how that double quote got in there.

Edited by toymaker

Do your research, lol

Mick

Thats fine but obviously I don't need to be convinced how great 74'-80'ish Geddy was however one wants to describe it... :codger:
  • Like 1

Not biting this time Enjoy... :sigh: :outtahere:

C'mon, take a bite! It's screamingly delicious!

Nah. There is no use chasing my tail in regards to this subject. His voice isn't half what it once was and that should be quite obvious to any fan of this band young or "older". Just gotta listen objectively is all. Not gonna do this all day... :banghead:
  • Like 1

C'mon! There's got to be one perfect word that describes Lee's 70s voice! A prize* to the member who comes up with the perfect word!

* Prize to take the form of written praise only.

His voice is not even on par with how it sounded on the Test For Echo tour.

What do people expect? It's tough to sing this material for 35 plus dates at his age.

Last tour was better than the Time Machine Tour. That's for sure.

At least he is not David Lee Roth....oh boy...that's is bad.

C'mon! There's got to be one perfect word that describes Lee's 70s voice! A prize* to the member who comes up with the perfect word!

* Prize to take the form of written praise only.

Far Cry?

• Like 1

Don't go there, buddy.

Back on the topic of Geddy, he obviously sounded like he was sick in Cleveland, like he had a stuffy nose. I should know, I sing and I sound like shit when I have a cold.

Edited by fraroc

Don't go there, buddy.

Back on the topic of Geddy, he obviously sounded like he was sick in Cleveland, like he had a stuffy nose. I should know, I sing and I sound like shit when I have a cold.

Well he sounded even worse on CA, I don't think he was sick then
  • Like 2

Don't go there, buddy.

I agree. Tom Sawyer was cringe-worthy.

• Like 2

Don't go there, buddy.

The Spirit of Radio, Grand Designs, and Middletown Dreams are pretty rough too Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

I'm listening to GUP live now, yes I realize that is ages ago but Geddy knows his range. He sounds just fine when he doesn't stray to far from his range.

We'll if Wikipedia does not mention screaming, so then it must not be screaming. My two fave era's for Ged's singing were the barritone of the early 90s, and his near screaming of the 70s

;-)

Lee's vocals produced a distinctive, "countertenor" falsetto, and resonant sound.[15] His singing style was unique, however, having the ability to span nearly three octaves, from baritone through tenor, alto, and mezzo-soprano pitch ranges.[15] That range was displayed in "Working Man", the best-known song from the group's 1974 debut album, Rush.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Don't go there, buddy.

No it's not.