Original Ozzy era Black Sabbath v. Led Zeppelin

I don't know enough Sabbath music in depth to even participate :facepalm: . I did have Paranoid on 8 track back in the day however... :ph34r:

Slacker!! :P

I know. I am strange no doubt. I have always just enjoyed what I enjoyed and rarely stray. For the most part the general rule is/was that I don't like or own anything that was popular with the masses. I have not one Beatles, Stones, Who, Sabbath album in my collection. I am trying to think of some other very popular bands back in the day that I don't own anything from. Again I am a bit different and don't deny that fact.... :wacko:

you'd like sabbath, since no sabbath likely means no budgie (could be wrong but they sound like sabbath fans to me), no priest, etc

NSD! is the album Sabbath's "real fans" claim to like more than Paranoid. (OK, buddy. Whatever you say).

Thankfully, I have never heard such nonsense uttered from any Sabbath fan!!! I can at least see the argument for any album up through Sabotage, but there's nothing but contempt for NSD as far as I've ever been aware.

Check out Joe Siegler's black-sabbath.com site. You'll find tons of people claiming that NSD! is their favorite of the "great eight."

:facepalm:

Betting they're all ironic hipster types. The same people who are trying to revive cassette tapes.

Nah. You can find similar fans here, to be honest. There's people that say Caress of Steel and/or Hold Your Fire blow away Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures. Every band has them.

The difference is that both CoS & HYF actually have redeeming factors. CoS was crucial in the development of the band. HYF may have been in a different style than what people consider classic Rush, but it's actually a really good album for what it is. I think those are more a case of different strokes.

NSD wasn't a major stylistic change or crucial in any way, it was just total crap....a throwaway. Even the 4 guys from Sabbath would tell you that. I feel like I've even heard them refer to it as a regret. Anyone claiming that it's the best (if they rank it the best of the classic 8, that's basically saying it's the best of the lot) is just trying to act like they're a bigger fan.

Some people just have the sentimental choice. Like why do I love Singals more than any Rush album or ehy does HYF or VT hold a place in my heart just due to where I was when I was listening to those albums.

NSD may be someones sentimental Sabbath album so they stick up for that album or whatever it was.

I was listening to Zep in my teens and I've knd of played out the catalog but have recently only in the last 5 years become a Sabbs fan so Im a little closer to them at present time. NSD and Ecstasy still suck tho.

The first 6 and the Dio stuff is all I care about tho. All the rest just isnt for me.

NSD! is the album Sabbath's "real fans" claim to like more than Paranoid. (OK, buddy. Whatever you say).

Thankfully, I have never heard such nonsense uttered from any Sabbath fan!!! I can at least see the argument for any album up through Sabotage, but there's nothing but contempt for NSD as far as I've ever been aware.

Check out Joe Siegler's black-sabbath.com site. You'll find tons of people claiming that NSD! is their favorite of the "great eight."

Betting they're all ironic hipster types. The same people who are trying to revive cassette tapes.

Nah. You can find similar fans here, to be honest. There's people that say Caress of Steel and/or Hold Your Fire blow away Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures. Every band has them.

The difference is that both CoS & HYF actually have redeeming factors. CoS was crucial in the development of the band. HYF may have been in a different style than what people consider classic Rush, but it's actually a really good album for what it is. I think those are more a case of different strokes.

NSD wasn't a major stylistic change or crucial in any way, it was just total crap....a throwaway. Even the 4 guys from Sabbath would tell you that. I feel like I've even heard them refer to it as a regret. Anyone claiming that it's the best (if they rank it the best of the classic 8, that's basically saying it's the best of the lot) is just trying to act like they're a bigger fan.

NSD! has 3 good tracks but is in general a pretty weak album. I think both CoS and HYF are pretty weak albums too. On a Sabbath site I suspect you'd find someone who'd argue that Tech Ex and NSD! were similarly "growth" albums.

Growth to what? Ending the era??

Without CoS, there would have been no 2112 or Hemispheres. Period.

People suggest that Tech Ex and NSD! show the band becoming more varied in their sound.

I disagree with your conclusion that 2112 or Hemispheres are somehow dependent on CoS. It's a weak album that almost cost them their record deal.

And as a result they went balls to the wall and did 2112. CoS was also their first attempt at an album side length song and they learned from mistakes they made. Likewise, 2112 was a major stepping stone to Hemispheres. It's all a progression, with CoS starting them on the path...without a beginning, there is no end.

At the very least, without CoS, 2112 and Hemispheres would have been different albums. Who knows if they would have been better or worse.

A far as TE & NSD...all they show are a band doing way to many drugs that influence the ego. Ultimately, that led to a pretty major crash.

Of course 2112 and Hemispheres were "dependent" on Caress of Steel. Caress of Steel was the first attempt at the blueprint. Mistakes were made and ironed out on the next two albums.

• Like 1

Some people just have the sentimental choice. Like why do I love Singals more than any Rush album or ehy does HYF or VT hold a place in my heart just due to where I was when I was listening to those albums.

NSD may be someones sentimental Sabbath album so they stick up for that album or whatever it was.

I was listening to Zep in my teens and I've knd of played out the catalog but have recently only in the last 5 years become a Sabbs fan so Im a little closer to them at present time. NSD and Ecstasy still suck tho.

The first 6 and the Dio stuff is all I care about tho. All the rest just isnt for me.

I can see and don't discount the sentimental value. The first Sabbath I was exposed to was Born Again and to this day I love that album....I realize that there's a difference in what amounts to a guilty pleasure, though, and would never consider comparing it to their best work.

I don't know enough Sabbath music in depth to even participate :facepalm: . I did have Paranoid on 8 track back in the day however... :ph34r:

Slacker!! :P

I know. I am strange no doubt. I have always just enjoyed what I enjoyed and rarely stray. For the most part the general rule is/was that I don't like or own anything that was popular with the masses. I have not one Beatles, Stones, Who, Sabbath album in my collection. I am trying to think of some other very popular bands back in the day that I don't own anything from. Again I am a bit different and don't deny that fact.... :wacko:

you'd like sabbath, since no sabbath likely means no budgie (could be wrong but they sound like sabbath fans to me), no priest, etc

????? Not sure what you mean? I got plenty of Budgie and Priest (70's of course)... ?

NSD! has 3 good tracks but is in general a pretty weak album. I think both CoS and HYF are pretty weak albums too. On a Sabbath site I suspect you'd find someone who'd argue that Tech Ex and NSD! were similarly "growth" albums.

People suggest that Tech Ex and NSD! show the band becoming more varied in their sound.

I disagree with your conclusion that 2112 or Hemispheres are somehow dependent on CoS. It's a weak album that almost cost them their record deal.

And as a result they went balls to the wall and did 2112. CoS was also their first attempt at an album side length song and they learned from mistakes they made. Likewise, 2112 was a major stepping stone to Hemispheres. It's all a progression, with CoS starting them on the path...without a beginning, there is no end.

At the very least, without CoS, 2112 and Hemispheres would have been different albums. Who knows if they would have been better or worse.

A far as TE & NSD...all they show are a band doing way to many drugs that influence the ego. Ultimately, that led to a pretty major crash.

You think that's what Tech Ex and NSD! are. Someone who is active on a Sabbath board would probably make arguments similar to those that you're making for why CoS, a weak album itself, is special somehow.

I can see and don't discount the sentimental value. The first Sabbath I was exposed to was Born Again and to this day I love that album....I realize that there's a difference in what amounts to a guilty pleasure, though, and would never consider comparing it to their best work.

I saw Sabbath on the Born Again tour. I've tried many times to get into that album, including the day it was released. I like Ian Gillan.

But that album just doesn't do it for me.

• Like 1

Another interesting parallel between the bands is that neither released a solid live album while they were active.

... but several great bootlegs.

True.

I do enjoy Sabbath's Asbury Park bootleg more than any Zeppelin bootleg, though Listen to This Eddie is really really good. I should listen to bootlegs more often!

Another interesting parallel between the bands is that neither released a solid live album while they were active.

... but several great bootlegs.

True.

I do enjoy Sabbath's Asbury Park bootleg more than any Zeppelin bootleg, though Listen to This Eddie is really really good. I should listen to bootlegs more often!

Asbury Park is arguably the best bootleg of anyone, IMO. I have a bunch of Zeppelin bootlegs I like more than TSRTS and HTWWW.

• Like 1

You're missing out Narp. Listen to Vol. 4 on YouTube. Great stuff.

http://www.youtube....h?v=jTdO91LoMQs

I know I am. As I have said I am a stubborn older dude to be sure. The thing I admire in others like taking musical risks I can't seem to pull off myself. I am working on it and thanks RNB... :cheers: Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 1

I saw Sabbath on the Born Again tour. I've tried many times to get into that album, including the day it was released. I like Ian Gillan.

Yeah contrary to NSD I have heard people cite Born Again as a favorite. I think its a sludgy bit of slag BTJM.

Yeah contrary to NSD I have heard people cite Born Again as a favorite. I think its a sludgy bit of slag BTJM.

At the time Ozzy said it was the best thing they'd done since he left. It was obviously a dig at Ronnie, who he hated, but I do think it sounds more like his stuff than Ronnie's does.

Black Sabbath gave Led Zeppelin some pretty good competition back in the day.

My votes go to:

1st Album: Led Zeppelin

2nd Album: Black Sabbath - Paranoid

3rd Album: Led Zeppelin III

4th Album: Led Zeppelin IV

5th Album: Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

6th Album: Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

After Black Sabbath's Sabotage, I was done with the band. Their next two albums turned me completely off.

Houses Of The Holy was really, really good, but Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, for me, was amazing. The title track's riff was mesmerizing. Except for the clunker Who Are You, the entire album grabbed me and never let go!

• Like 1

My votes go to:

After Black Sabbath's Sabotage, I was done with the band. Their next two albums turned me completely off.

Houses Of The Holy was really, really good, but Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, for me, was amazing. The title track's riff was mesmerizing. Except for the clunker Who Are You, the entire album grabbed me and never let go!

even more than the majestic title track, I love the 'proggy' aspects of many passages without altering the heavyness of the tracks; remember Rick Wakeman on 'Sabbra Cadabra'?

• Like 2

My votes go to:

even more than the majestic title track, I love the 'proggy' aspects of many passages without altering the heavyness of the tracks; remember Rick Wakeman on 'Sabbra Cadabra'?

Progressive to the Nth degree! Pianos, synths, harpsichord, mellotron, and a string section on Spiral Architect!

• Like 1

You're missing out Narp. Listen to Vol. 4 on YouTube. Great stuff.

http://www.youtube....h?v=jTdO91LoMQs

I know I am. As I have said I am a stubborn older dude to be sure. The thing I admire in others like taking musical risks I can't seem to pull off myself. I am working on it and thanks RNB... :cheers:

You need this old man! :codger: :haz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ70PrAf274

• Like 1

You think that's what Tech Ex and NSD! are. Someone who is active on a Sabbath board would probably make arguments similar to those that you're making for why CoS, a weak album itself, is special somehow.

Went back and read the original post and admit that I misinterpreted what was said. You stated that some fans like NSD better than Paranoid, which is a valid an reasonable opinion (whether I agree or not). I thought it said that fans though that it was in fact a better album (as in song for song, etc), for which there is not much argument. My bad there.

• Like 1

My votes go to:

Progressive to the Nth degree! Pianos, synths, harpsichord, mellotron, and a string section on Spiral Architect!

In few words: Sabs' creativity peak