Somebody please explain why "Roll the Bones" is worth another listen.

toymaker

Love this tune. A great funk/pop Rush song. Great guitars, great bass, great lyrics.

Fun...the song is just flat out fun. And they have fun playing it.

• Like 2

I'm not really hearing the funk. Or the fun.

I don't mind the bit after the two organ chords, I guess. I listened to it again just now.

Then I put on La Villa to wash the taste out of my ears.

• Like 2

I will admit that I really enjoyed it on Rush in Rio and I had never heard it before that ever. Having said that, I wouldn't just listen to it off the album or the recording of Rush in Rio if you held a gun to my head....

I believe i'm right in saying that played live the entire rap section is a sample which they mime too?

Correct. lifted from the album. Although Alex plays live licks over the sample.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Huge difference between traditional funk and what Rush funk is.

It's Rush funk.

The pre-chorus has a funky crunchy bass line and guitar work.

If you don't like the song....cool.

I love it.

• Like 1

I think I'd like to like this song . . . understanding full well that I don't have to like everything, but it just seems there's no escaping it. How many live albums is it on?

I'm going to go and pay more attention to the bass, which some of you are saying is a defining highlight of the song. I think I agree that there is a groove of sorts - I'm not hearing funk, but if there's a locked groove maybe I'll be able to appreciate that aspect.

It's not like I run screaming to the stereo to hit the next button when it comes on. It just . . . deflates me a little.

I think I'd like to like this song . . . understanding full well that I don't have to like everything, but it just seems there's no escaping it. How many live albums is it on?

I'm going to go and pay more attention to the bass, which some of you are saying is a defining highlight of the song. I think I agree that there is a groove of sorts - I'm not hearing funk, but if there's a locked groove maybe I'll be able to appreciate that aspect.

It's not like I run screaming to the stereo to hit the next button when it comes on. It just . . . deflates me a little.

I have this reaction to Dreamline in concert at this point, lol.

Just.......oh again?????????

Mick

• Like 1

Great track from a great album. I wouldn't introduce the band to someone using either but to a seasoned rush head the whole album is top drawer, if a bit tinny in overall sound. Thats the way it is though. RTB was first tour i went to see the band at the sheffield arena uk. good memories.

Forgot my glasses and was quite some distance away but ged's huge shadow by the side of the stage Made an impression :)

Sent a stamped addressed envelope with a ballpoint to neil at the arena. He only sent it back with his f*cking autograph! always be a life highlight getting that in the post. Like totally.

• Like 1

The only one I can think of right off hand is Different Stages.

And Rio....and r30

that's 3.

Mick

And Rio....and r30

that's 3.

Mick

Ah. I didn't think of those since I don't have them on CD. Only the DVDs.

"Somebody please explain why "Roll the Bones" is worth another listen"

How about this. The universe is infused with love. That's what it's all about. Sure, we can only see and measure matter and energy, but that's just the tangible part of it all, it's about love. In the end, that's all that matters, love. As such, when you listen to Roll the Bones, you affirm the blood, sweat and tears that Geddy, Alex and Neil put into the song; you sing with them, laugh with them; you support them and celebrate with them. That's about the only answer I can offer because honestly the song sucks royal *ss.

• Like 1

Love. Sure, I can dig that. I think maybe a bit of sweat was put into the song, but certainly no blood and no tears, except for the tears of countless fans who heard it for the first time.

Also, not nearly as much sweat as went into other music.

I think my CD changer is messing with me. In the last hour, it's played the three worst songs from Roll the Bones. . .

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

"it's played the three worst songs from Roll the Bones. . . "

How can you distinguish that? Just curious.

"it's played the three worst songs from Roll the Bones. . . "

How can you distinguish that? Just curious.

I should have written "It's played three songs from Roll the Bones" . . . but hey, I don't mind a few of the tunes. It sure has a promising beginning. And I like Ghost of a Chance.

• Like 1

"except for the tears of countless fans who heard it for the first time."

My tears were shed when I saw the gaunt Howard Jones-esque teen on the cover of Power Windows and realized that the band I cherished as I grew up had become something I no longer recognized (but a lot of people like it so great). By the time I first heard RTB (probably through the video) I was beyond hoping they'd ever be a band I'd like again so nothing bothered me at that point as I no longer cared, except to look back at them with sorrowful nostalgia like I would a love affair that had gone tragically wrong. PoW through CP is still largely a black hole to me; nothing escapes their event horizon of suckiness. Well, a few songs do I guess. I like Bravado for instance.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

RTB is certainly not the worst song off RTB but it is forgettable. I have mentioned before how I find this album as a blight on a great career. The song made me concerned about the future of Rush which was only eased by the release of Animate.

RTB is certainly not the worst song off RTB but it is forgettable. I have mentioned before how I find this album as a blight on a great career. The song made me concerned about the future of Rush which was only eased by the release of Animate.

Holy shit. If something from CP eased your mind about what Rush was thinking, I have a lot of pity for you.

I can't help but chuckle at the criticism of the album reaching the "even the cover sucks" level.

Here's the thing about the RTB cover.... it was a weak attempt to recapture some of the metaphor imagery they had on other covers (Hemispheres... MP with the three notions of defining a "moving picture".... Signals and the hydrant.... etc.). A lot of the lyrics of RTB was about the notion of fate, accepting it or not... thus the kid kicking the skull. Dominos are often referred to as "bones" among those who play dominos.

A bit contrived? Yes. Kind of like the title song.

Not their best effort on many levels, but a transition album and one that I still partake in from time-to-time.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

Awesome song if you get off your prog snob high horse. Just because something is catchy and accessible does not make it bad. Music is subjective last time I checked. We get it. You don't like it. Don't try and convince us we are wrong for having a different opinion. Personally, when I first heard it I loved the fact that Rush were dipping their heels in the pop/funk world while still having their "Rush" stamp on it.

Some will think my avatar has something to do with this song or album. Nope. It's a picture of a drum figurine I bought at King's Island, Ohio.

• Like 3

Awesome song if you get off your prog snob high horse. Just because something is catchy and accessible does not make it bad. Music is subjective last time I checked. We get it. You don't like it. Don't try and convince us we are wrong for having a different opinion. Personally, when I first heard it I loved the fact that Rush were dipping their heels in the pop/funk world while still having their "Rush" stamp on it.

Some will think my avatar has something to do with this song or album. Nope. It's a picture of a drum figurine I bought at King's Island, Ohio.

Hold the phone...are you saying Roll the Bones isn't prog?!?! :LOL: