Somebody please explain why "Roll the Bones" is worth another listen.

toymaker

I cannot, cannot, cannot warm up to this song. I can't help it. I have removed the rap part. It's still not working. The Rush I love is prodigious, bursting, overflowing genius musical enormousness and insane chops, music that's like the best toy you had as a child and music where you focus on the parts and then go "I have to listen again because I didn't give Lee's f***ing insane bass part enough attention that time."

Who likes this song and why? Be philosophical. Explain the appeal to . . . just about anything. While you're at it, give me some good reasons to listen to the following meager offerings. My soul gets nothing from these stunted . . . songs:

Chain Lightning

Second Nature

Hand Over Fist

The Big Wheel

I'll stop there. The list is beginning to bum me out.

Also, I just ate like 80 grams worth of glucose corn syrup and a can of Coke.

Go listen to Second Nature for the lyrics and try to take something from it. Everyone should!

Okay, yeah yeah, lyrics and all that . . . but where the hell is Lifeson on this song? Oh there he is . . . oh, he's gone again. He's back for like 14 seconds!

Geez. He could have stayed home that day.

Is this possibly the Rush song that has the least guitar in it??

That's actually a good description of Alex's role in the band during that time.."ok guys, where do you want me..??"

"Have the two of you guys ever actually listened to our fans?? You, you think they love us cuz they flail their arms in the air at the speed of light trying to emulate you. And you, eschewing the grooving thundering thunder for what? What? Do do do, do do do. Da da da, da da da? Seriously the two of you. They love us cuz of Me. I make them rock. I shake the effing arenas to the effing core. I light up their passion with MY SOLOS! So now the two of you make me sit in the corner with the core of our livelihoods in my lap? The sound that made us us? Seriously Pratt, if you say one more time that numnut warrior mean mean doofus is what defines us, I am gonna.....

Why do I need to find a new space?"

• Like 2

I cannot, cannot, cannot warm up to this song. I can't help it. I have removed the rap part. It's still not working. The Rush I love is prodigious, bursting, overflowing genius musical enormousness and insane chops, music that's like the best toy you had as a child and music where you focus on the parts and then go "I have to listen again because I didn't give Lee's f***ing insane bass part enough attention that time."

Who likes this song and why? Be philosophical. Explain the appeal to . . . just about anything. While you're at it, give me some good reasons to listen to the following meager offerings. My soul gets nothing from these stunted . . . songs:

Chain Lightning

Second Nature

Hand Over Fist

The Big Wheel

Go listen to Second Nature for the lyrics and try to take something from it. Everyone should!

Okay, yeah yeah, lyrics and all that . . . but where the hell is Lifeson on this song? Oh there he is . . . oh, he's gone again. He's back for like 14 seconds!

Geez. He could have stayed home that day.

Is this possibly the Rush song that has the least guitar in it??

That's actually a good description of Alex's role in the band during that time.."ok guys, where do you want me..??"

"Have the two of you guys ever actually listened to our fans?? You, you think they love us cuz they flail their arms in the air at the speed of light trying to emulate you. And you, eschewing the grooving thundering thunder for what? What? Do do do, do do do. Da da da, da da da? Seriously the two of you. They love us cuz of Me. I make them rock. I shake the effing arenas to the effing core. I light up their passion with MY SOLOS! So now the two of you make me sit in the corner with the core of our livelihoods in my lap? The sound that made us us? Seriously Pratt, if you say one more time that numnut warrior mean mean doofus is what defines us, I am gonna.....

I did read somewhere that Lifeson can get a little emotional . . .

• Like 1

I hated the song when it came out. Well, let me be more clear, I was embarrassed by the song when it came out. Over the years I've come to appreciate it for the fun little ditty that it is, and I do think it has a good, funky beat.

Yep, to me it's catchy and I like the solo a lot. But of course, I wouldn't put it up there among their best.

• Like 1

"Have the two of you guys ever actually listened to our fans?? You, you think they love us cuz they flail their arms in the air at the speed of light trying to emulate you. And you, eschewing the grooving thundering thunder for what? What? Do do do, do do do. Da da da, da da da? Seriously the two of you. They love us cuz of Me. I make them rock. I shake the effing arenas to the effing core. I light up their passion with MY SOLOS! So now the two of you make me sit in the corner with the core of our livelihoods in my lap? The sound that made us us? Seriously Pratt, if you say one more time that numnet warrior mean mean doofes is what defines us, I am gonna.....

Yes, I was emulating Alex' La Villa emotional rant, with a little bit of the BTLS "no keyboard" scenes:

Alex: Its time we call a meeting, everyone in the conference room

I have a concept, how about no keyboards!

Geddy: Does a mocking fist slam on the table.

For anyone who dislikes RTB: I've got a bone to pick with you. :rfl: Edited by jefeltner11
  • Like 1

Okay, Roll The Bones is one of my absolute favourite Rush songs. It started for me when I had my iPod on during my journey home from work one Friday and I had all Rush songs on shuffle. This song came on and I would have probably skipped it on a normal day but for whatever reason, I let it play. I don't know why but suddenly I was in the best mood ever, it actually made me smile loads. Since then, I listened to it pretty much every day and I just love it. The bass line is absolutely amazing and I genuinely love the rap. I think that might just be because I'm still amazed that it's Geddy's voice underneath all the effects :P and you can totally hear his Canadian accent.
  • Like 3

Jack,

Relax. Get busy with the facts. No zodiacs or almanacs, no maniacs in polyester slacks. Just the Facts. Gonna kick some gluteus max.

Facts a fact you dig?

Nik

Now what's the reason for another listen?... :)
  • Like 1

Jack,

Relax. Get busy with the facts. No zodiacs or almanacs, no maniacs in polyester slacks. Just the Facts. Gonna kick some gluteus max.

Facts a fact you dig?

Nik

Now what's the reason for another listen?... :)

Action, reaction, random interaction. Are you afraid of a little abstraction? Can't get no satisfaction from the facts?

Edited by AnEggplant
  • Like 1

^ So glad you've come by to spread some good cheer, Fridge- in this an a few other threads, here... :eyeroll:

I don't listen to Roll the Bones often, but I really enjoy it when I do. It doesn't have the same energy as other albums that I would rate higher in the canon, but the musicianship is top-notch. It really is great stuff; it's a very uptempo record, overall.

Neil absolutely shines on the whole thing.

Now- it does contain what I feel is among at least the two or three worst Rush songs, ever- You Bet Your Life. Can't stand that one.

But I still think it's a really enjoyable album, overall.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

It's my son's favorite Rush song at the moment. That may change once he grows up a bit more and dives into the catalog a bit deeper. :)

It's kind fun when I see him and I say "why are we here", and he sings "because we're here, roll the bones....roll the bones."

• Like 2

It's possible that hearing Roll the Bones somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 times by watching the R40 shows on periscope has finally dulled my antipathy towards the song.

However, I have to say that Lifeson's choice not to noodle on this guitar during the rap section was disappointing. The video was sort of a kick, I guess. . .

• Like 1

It's possible that hearing Roll the Bones somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 times by watching the R40 shows on periscope has finally dulled my antipathy towards the song.

However, I have to say that Lifeson's choice not to noodle on this guitar during the rap section was disappointing. The video was sort of a kick, I guess. . .

Were they actually all on stage during that?

I thought so, but now I'm doubting my memory.

I thought so, but now I'm doubting my memory.

Yes, they were, because Geddy plays the little bass line on the keyboard, and I'm nearly positive Neil does the drum beat. Although, maybe he didn't this time around because of the whole acoustic kit thing
  • Like 1

Chain Lightning

Second Nature

Hand Over Fist

The Big Wheel

where do I even start? (Teasing a little there.)

I can't believe I'm fixing to defend RTB. It's just a philisophical concept. Some people just don't believe in God or destiny (as Neil has indicated in other songs) or any rhyme or reason to things. Everything is just random. There is no meaning to our lives, etc. Etc.

This is the antithesis of everything I believe & so it depresses me a bit, but I can still enjoy it's 'catchiness' if I don't think too hard about its meaning. Yes, the rap part SUCKS. HATE IT!!! I wish I knew how to take it out.

Hand over fist is about how extending the hand of friendship trumps hate and suspicion. All summed up in "I feel my spirit resist...but I open up my fist" It's about being willing to be vulnerable, basically. It's one of my favorites.

Love that part where you said, "I need to listen again, because I didn't give Lee's F...in' insane bass part enough attention" (I agree entirely!)

As for your sugar high, get a pillow ready for the carb crash!

:hockey:

Edited by gypsy muse

"Have the two of you guys ever actually listened to our fans?? You, you think they love us cuz they flail their arms in the air at the speed of light trying to emulate you. And you, eschewing the grooving thundering thunder for what? What? Do do do, do do do. Da da da, da da da? Seriously the two of you. They love us cuz of Me. I make them rock. I shake the effing arenas to the effing core. I light up their passion with MY SOLOS! So now the two of you make me sit in the corner with the core of our livelihoods in my lap? The sound that made us us? Seriously Pratt, if you say one more time that numnet warrior mean mean doofes is what defines us, I am gonna.....

Yes, I was emulating Alex' La Villa emotional rant, with a little bit of the BTLS "no keyboard" scenes:

Alex: Its time we call a meeting, everyone in the conference room

I have a concept, how about no keyboards!

Geddy: Does a mocking fist slam on the table.

Just can't tell you how much I love this! Oh to be a fly on the wall during one of their 'disagreements' I wonder if Alex ever kicked some Geddy or Neil ass. I could see it happening.

:Alex:

Edited by gypsy muse

Sometimes I have to hit the "skip" button on this one.

One thing I do that helps me get through the - uh - "speaking part" (as Geddy has called it) is to imagine different people or characters reciting it.

Next time, try imagining Homer Simpson doing the speaking part. It's fun to think of Homer saying "The night has a thousand saxamaphones".

Other "people" I imagine reciting the speaking part: Stewie from "Family Guy". Sheriff Rick from "The Walking Dead". Sargent Joe Friday from "Dragnet". Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick.

Maybe you can come up with a TV character favorite of your own.

Or just hit the skip button.

wowww, creative!

I tend to go back and forth on this song. The weak synth sounds and thin production on the studio version don't help. Sometimes it comes off so lame and cheesy, and sometimes it's quite the guilty pleasure. I do like that they took a chance and fused funk, hip hop and folk into a pretty well-arranged, catchy song.

One of my favorite versions of RTB is on this great-sounding boot from the TFE tour:

I really dig the funky James Brown-esque accompaniment Alex plays during the rap section starting at 1:50:04 in the clip. I wonder why he doesn't play anything during that part any more. Even on the Different Stages version taken from the TFE tour, his guitar part gets muted during the rap. Maybe he flubbed it... Also, the way he played the solo on the R40 version is simplified compared to what he was playing back then.

^ So glad you've come by to spread some good cheer, Fridge- in this an a few other threads, here... :eyeroll:

If by Good Cheer you mean honesty, then I'm yer man ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0d9xMhZbo

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Rolls the Bones ? more like Roll the joint cause you have to be high to love this era of Rush. I remember at the time this came out my rush fanatic friend Mike saying to me and I quote " Rush is rapping now " to which I respoded " No way what do you mean?" Then he played me the video and it was a sad day .... A legendary prog power trio rapping to stay relevant was just a sad move to me .